Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Nov 14, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
I was wondering if anyone ever saw engineered hardwood (or even laminate or vinyl) in Ontario this color before/ pattern before?
Floor color.jpg
I think it is white-washed oak with a very light cream undertone. The closest thing I ever saw was the Vintage Oracle but that one has a titanium undertone rather than the warmer undertone. I tried going to a couple of places with no luck so far.

Some help would greatly be appreciated.
Aug 31, 2001
300 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

I bought a house and looking to sand and refinish my main floor hardwood floor before moving in.

Anybody have some pointers and good guides to go about this?

Planning to do a rental of the equipment for the day: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/tool-a ... 09953.html

Thoughts Tips Advice appreciated.
Nov 30, 2010
25 posts
7 upvotes
I am replacing my floors. I removed all the hardwood and am left with plank flooring. House is from the 50s. The plank flooring is in good condition and the old floors only creaked a little bit.

I noticed there were some cuts made (as if someone ran a saw through a couple of boards in a few places for no apparent reason) along the hall with nails on either side of the cut? Ever seen that?

Anyways my real question now is I've been told I need a subfloor (plywood), should I go 1/2 inch or 3/4? Some people tell me it has to be nailed in at the joists others say the opposite so the entire floor moves as one. Which is correct? Lastly, I'm good to just bury the nails by hitting them or do they have to be removed?

Thanks. Great thread. I read the last 20 pages or so so my apologies if this has been answered.
Dec 23, 2007
782 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
Looking at installing 5" wide solid oak hardwood floors very soon.

The manufacturer instructions recommends to use a "premium grade urethane construction adhesive" along with nail down (cleats or staples)

I couldn't find much info or places that sell a "premium grade urethane construction adhesive " Would you just recommend PL premium. Or do you need this urethane adhesive for movement, if so where would i buy it?
Edit: found a product made by Sika "SikaBond Construction Adhesive" suppost to "remains slightly flexible permantly" so i would think this would be better then PL premium since you would want some movement with the expansion and contraction of the floor

Also i was thinking about using this method for applying the adhesive

what are your thoughts.
Dec 23, 2007
782 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
Oh and for underlayment, I was just going to use Kraftpaper (aka wax paper) or would i need something better? again where to buy?
May 22, 2010
615 posts
81 upvotes
Going to put hardwood in the basement. We have a lot of square footage.

Any recommendations on:
Engineered or regular hardware for the basement over a concrete floor?
& what about the underlay? What a should we put down?

What stores are recommended near mississauga/etobicoke?
Jun 24, 2019
4 posts
5 upvotes
Hello -

Thank you so much for this thread. Much appreciated.

I am looking to buy hardwood natural maple hardwood (not engineered) flooring (3 1/4") for three bedrooms, totaling roughly 500 sq. ft.

There are so many companies to choose from. There are some that are cheaper in price (Appalaichain, Wyckham, Mohawk, Bruce, etc.) and for $0.50 more per/sq. ft. there are companies like PG Model and Lauzon. Is it worth it to purchase the more expensive brands? Is there really a material difference? Ultimately, it's not that much more expensive for the lot, but i'm interested in best quality for my $$.

Thanks for your help!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2806 posts
917 upvotes
Newmarket
I have installed approx. 1400sf of engineered hardwood (Tosca) and have two questions.

1) Between bathroom tile and hallway hardwood I don't want to have any transition pieces, currently there is a gap of less than 1/4, how do I fill it? grout, silicone, silicone on the bottom grout on top, anything else?
2) I have two unopened boxes of hardwood left as well as two good pieces and number of scrap pieces. Should I return both boxes or keep one.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2005
1564 posts
261 upvotes
Ottawa
I am looking to replace carpet with hardwood floor in the bedrooms. Approx. sqft is about 900 and we decided on 3.25 maple grey colour, prefinished. We will probaby hire professional to install them. This is my first time dealing with hardwood ones.

- How much extra should I order? Do people intentionally order more and keep the leftover for future? What happens the exact flooring gets discontinued?
- Love to get some recommendations on Ottawa based flooring company.

TIA
May 8, 2012
316 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey guys,

We recently had some water damage the hardwood on our second floor in the office and hallway. There are also two bedrooms that are fine. The insurance company gave us an estimate for replacing the damaged wood in the office and hallway, but wants to put dividers in the bedroom doorways to avoid replacing the entire floor. Isn't this going to look terrible? Any advice on how to proceed? If there are any good contractors in the Montreal area that could help me out, please let me know!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, so let me know if not! TIA
Oct 17, 2002
692 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
First time looking into this thread. Long story short, but I removed the carpet on the second floor of my house, and noticed that the clearance/height between the wood subfloor and the nosing/trim is only 9.5-10mm.

I was going to do laminate in this area (have already installed the laminate in the bedrooms), but it was suggested in another thread that hardwood might fit the bill. I figure 3/8 hardwood would fit perfectly, though do you need to install any underlayment/underpad for hardwood? If you do, what's the standard thickness? or is it just like (wax) paper? If it's thick, I suppose I could try and source the 5/16 low(er) profile hardwood.

thoughts?

thanks!
Images
  • IMG-1913.JPG
Jun 27, 2018
43 posts
1 upvote
Engineered hardwood is very popular now. Solid floors seem to almost disappear from stores. I am curious if someone already had lived with engineered floors for 10+ year and structurally they still as sound as would be solid... (surface dents is a different story...)
Jun 27, 2018
43 posts
1 upvote
Interestingly, we are building, and we have from the beginning considered putting at least two types of hardwoods: one for all open areas and a different one for small rooms that have doors (such as office and bedrooms). But it seems that you think that it is going to look terrible. Why? Why one would want to have the same hardwood everywhere? I do not see how wood that looks good in a large open space 30'x30' (with nice wide long plank) wold look same good in a bedroom 12x12 per say, and most of use prefer medium color for big spaces and a very light for one personal bedroom. How the same color /plank type can do well everywhere?
manu117 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 9:49 am
Hey guys,

We recently had some water damage the hardwood on our second floor in the office and hallway. There are also two bedrooms that are fine. The insurance company gave us an estimate for replacing the damaged wood in the office and hallway, but wants to put dividers in the bedroom doorways to avoid replacing the entire floor. Isn't this going to look terrible? Any advice on how to proceed? If there are any good contractors in the Montreal area that could help me out, please let me know!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, so let me know if not! TIA
May 8, 2012
316 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
wind13 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 10:38 am
Interestingly, we are building, and we have from the beginning considered putting at least two types of hardwoods: one for all open areas and a different one for small rooms that have doors (such as office and bedrooms). But it seems that you think that it is going to look terrible. Why? Why one would want to have the same hardwood everywhere? I do not see how wood that looks good in a large open space 30'x30' (with nice wide long plank) wold look same good in a bedroom 12x12 per say, and most of use prefer medium color for big spaces and a very light for one personal bedroom. How the same color /plank type can do well everywhere?
I suppose that's fine if that's what you're going for. We currently have uniform seamless hardwood in the whole house, so this would be a change that we're not interested in.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
SugarySnack wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 8:41 am
Question about wire brushed floors - Are they harder to clean than smooth floors? I have two cats and from time to time they throw up on the floor, and worry that it will get stuck in the grooves of the wire brushed finish and be a pain to clean.
That is a possibility but it's washable like any other floor.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)