Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Jun 27, 2018
44 posts
1 upvote
Please do understand me right. I now worry if we thought wrongly and should change our plans and install seamless as you have. Before your post it seemed logical to us to have different floors in different rooms, but now I worry if that was wrong and we should refine our plans...
manu117 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 3:08 pm
I suppose that's fine if that's what you're going for. We currently have uniform seamless hardwood in the whole house, so this would be a change that we're not interested in.
Jul 2, 2019
2 posts
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for keeping this extremely educational thread alive for so long.
We just purchased a home, built in 1982 and are planning to replace carpet with hardwood on the first floor except the family room (which already has engineered wood installed).
We will also be replacing the carpeted stairs with hardwood and the 2nd floor hallway - bedrooms will stay carpeted.
We are planning on getting our hardwood from AA Flooring - The wood is their in-house brand which they claim they sell quite a lot of (OAK 4.99/sq.ft) - As it's not a popular brand we cannot find any reviews, so is there anything we should be looking out for? Is it worth it to spend the extra money to go for a brand name? Is there a brand you would recommend at the 5-6$ range?

Thank you
Apr 10, 2018
48 posts
1 upvote
patrob wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2007 7:09 pm
I thought I would start The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread, since there are many people always asking for hardwood flooring advice/help.

Since I have knowledge on the topic, just ask away if you have any specific questions ;)

Voted "Most Helpfull Thread" for 2012
:)

Hi patron,

I have bought a townhouse and builder offering SPS Vinyl on main floor and tiles as per attached plan.

Stairs, upper hall and bedrooms are carpet as standard

I need advise on the following:

1).Builder standard SPC Vinyl is Dubai Vinyl on Main floor and if and offer upgrade to SPC Vinyl for additional cost : $934 is this worth going with Builder I can do better quality and cheaper hardware floor after closing?

2). My plan to get all main floor SPS Vinyl including foyer area due to stairs near main door? Do you recommend that?

3). For stairs upgrade to oak stairs asking for: $3,586, can I do after closing cheaper?

4). My plan to remove kneelwall on second with rails? Do I need to do SPC Vinyl on the hall or keep it carpet and do change after closing?

5). Builder offer to upgrade all second floor to Dubai SPC Vinyl for :$2,754 or Everest SPC Vinyl for : $4,142, can I do this after closing with better quality and cheaper?

Thank you
Images
  • 4BBFF78C-B066-488C-B705-E142FD77FA33.png
  • D74977D6-4EA8-49E6-BA29-9D9A28835928.png
Nov 23, 2014
36 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi Patrob.

I just wanted your opinion on this flooring from Mercier. I've read throughout this thread that you recommend engineered flooring but the sales lady is telling the following White ash solid from Mercier doesn't need to be monitored as closely and is similar to engineered when in comes down to humidity levels. Here is a link to the product. Thanks

https://mercier-wood-flooring.com/en/pr ... sh/tobacco
Images
  • Screenshot_20190722-203018.png
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
wind13 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 12:52 am
Please do understand me right. I now worry if we thought wrongly and should change our plans and install seamless as you have. Before your post it seemed logical to us to have different floors in different rooms, but now I worry if that was wrong and we should refine our plans...
I recommend having the same flooring throughout! It's also a better selling feature in case you decide to sell. Most people will not like different colours of hardwood in different rooms. Just paint your walls different colours and add rugs, that will be a better solution if you want each room to look different.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
YulianR76870 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 4:12 pm
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for keeping this extremely educational thread alive for so long.
We just purchased a home, built in 1982 and are planning to replace carpet with hardwood on the first floor except the family room (which already has engineered wood installed).
We will also be replacing the carpeted stairs with hardwood and the 2nd floor hallway - bedrooms will stay carpeted.
We are planning on getting our hardwood from AA Flooring - The wood is their in-house brand which they claim they sell quite a lot of (OAK 4.99/sq.ft) - As it's not a popular brand we cannot find any reviews, so is there anything we should be looking out for? Is it worth it to spend the extra money to go for a brand name? Is there a brand you would recommend at the 5-6$ range?

Thank you
There is a big reputable Canadian manufacturer just across the street (little East) and you might be able to get something in that price range but you need to go through their dealer. Not familiar with their brand.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
NeedforSpeed wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 8:23 pm
Hi Patrob.

I just wanted your opinion on this flooring from Mercier. I've read throughout this thread that you recommend engineered flooring but the sales lady is telling the following White ash solid from Mercier doesn't need to be monitored as closely and is similar to engineered when in comes down to humidity levels. Here is a link to the product. Thanks

https://mercier-wood-flooring.com/en/pr ... sh/tobacco
She's full of BS lol She obviously has no idea what she's talking about! I would not consider ash and most reputable manufacturers have discontinued ash products.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
osu101 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 5:12 pm
Hi patron,

I have bought a townhouse and builder offering SPS Vinyl on main floor and tiles as per attached plan.

Stairs, upper hall and bedrooms are carpet as standard

I need advise on the following:

1).Builder standard SPC Vinyl is Dubai Vinyl on Main floor and if and offer upgrade to SPC Vinyl for additional cost : $934 is this worth going with Builder I can do better quality and cheaper hardware floor after closing?

2). My plan to get all main floor SPS Vinyl including foyer area due to stairs near main door? Do you recommend that?

3). For stairs upgrade to oak stairs asking for: $3,586, can I do after closing cheaper?

4). My plan to remove kneelwall on second with rails? Do I need to do SPC Vinyl on the hall or keep it carpet and do change after closing?

5). Builder offer to upgrade all second floor to Dubai SPC Vinyl for :$2,754 or Everest SPC Vinyl for : $4,142, can I do this after closing with better quality and cheaper?

Thank you
Unfortunately can only answer your question #3, go with the builder for your hardwood stairs upgrade.
36 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi Patrob,

I found a product by Lauzon that I really like. It is an engineered maple. Is it safe to say the engineered maple won't have much expansion and I won't need to worry much about humidity levels as compared to a solid maple. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Nov 22, 2012
108 posts
7 upvotes
THORNHILL
Mister Patrob,
Thanks a lot for your time and inputs!!!

I am planning to lay engineered hardwood on the main level.
And laminate in the basement.
Can you recommend a good quality laminate brand (and location to purchase) for basement humidity?
Thanks a million!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
NeedforSpeed wrote:
Jul 27th, 2019 2:29 pm
Hi Patrob,

I found a product by Lauzon that I really like. It is an engineered maple. Is it safe to say the engineered maple won't have much expansion and I won't need to worry much about humidity levels as compared to a solid maple. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Engineered wood is more tolerant but you still have to maintain humidity within manufacturer's range and that's including having a humidifier for winter.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
ihtus50 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 10:15 am
Mister Patrob,
Thanks a lot for your time and inputs!!!

I am planning to lay engineered hardwood on the main level.
And laminate in the basement.
Can you recommend a good quality laminate brand (and location to purchase) for basement humidity?
Thanks a million!
I recommend Torlys laminate, search their dealer list for closest location.
51 posts
9 upvotes
I do have 6 steps of a squeaky stair. is there any way to fix it or should I install a new one?
Nov 22, 2012
108 posts
7 upvotes
THORNHILL
Patrob, all,
anybody tried laminate from costco?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2544 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
GSD wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:48 pm
Looking for a price on refinishing previously stained stair treads in the GTA. 13 treads in total.

Thx
Still looking for an idea on price for this. Thanks