Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
1) Can you add a bigger SSD in this?
2) Can you install Linux (Ubuntu) instead of W8?
Sep 9, 2004
594 posts
90 upvotes
The_Madz wrote: anyone have trouble with adding memory?
i tried two different low voltage 4gb sticks and whenever something is in the unused slot it wont post.

the ram works fine if it's alone in the system in the original slot, but if i try booting with it installed in the original empty slot it wont post either.

so wondering if i have just had bad luck with getting the right memory for it or if the slot could be defective.
Did you try with the new RAM in slot 1 and the old RAM in slot 2 (originally empty)? Also, what are the specs of the RAM you are trying?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
osc wrote: Did you try with the new RAM in slot 1 and the old RAM in slot 2 (originally empty)? Also, what are the specs of the RAM you are trying?
Yes, boots fine if original ram or new ram is in slot 1

as soon as i add another module it doesn't post, no matter which one is in slot 1

I have used Kingston 1.35V 1600mhz 4gb module and G-skill with the same specs.

same results for either.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
iHateShaw wrote: 1) Can you add a bigger SSD in this?
2) Can you install Linux (Ubuntu) instead of W8?
1)

2)
Sep 9, 2004
594 posts
90 upvotes
The_Madz wrote: Yes, boots fine if original ram or new ram is in slot 1

as soon as i add another module it doesn't post, no matter which one is in slot 1

I have used Kingston 1.35V 1600mhz 4gb module and G-skill with the same specs.

same results for either.
And what happens if you install the OEM ram alone in slot2?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2857 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario GTA
osc wrote: And what happens if you install the OEM ram alone in slot2?
doesn't boot then either.

so.. unless anyone has that "feature" i'm guessing my slot 2 is no good?
Sep 9, 2004
594 posts
90 upvotes
The_Madz wrote: doesn't boot then either.

so.. unless anyone has that "feature" i'm guessing my slot 2 is no good?
sounds like that may be the case :(
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Jone19 wrote: Rename the folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution Its where windows saves the used updates and for some reason on the HP mini never clears them so that folder ends up 5-10gb. Once you rename it, restart windows and you will see its back to a manageable 100mb or so. If everything works fine, delete the renamed folder.
I think mine is doing the same... makes alot of sense.... my free space went from like 5gb to below 1gb after a few hundred MB windows updates...

Thanks!
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
sk1001 wrote: I wonder if you can use something like this in these to use a normal sata drive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZI ... _i=desktop
I did look at this one, but couple of things may not work here. The sata port on the adapter card is standing up, so there may not be room with the sata cable and the sata drive above it. Also there is no power connector on the mainboard for that sata power connector.

As 9394 pointed out, I got one that has a flat sata data port and a USB power cable. The thing is stuck at customs now, not sure when it will get here.

I will provide an update once I get it and play around with it.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
libballeng wrote: I did look at this one, but couple of things may not work here. The sata port on the adapter card is standing up, so there may not be room with the sata cable and the sata drive above it. Also there is no power connector on the mainboard for that sata power connector.

As 9394 pointed out, I got one that has a flat sata data port and a USB power cable. The thing is stuck at customs now, not sure when it will get here.

I will provide an update once I get it and play around with it.
Any update on the adapter?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
you guys know of any links for memory deals applicable too this box?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
9394 wrote: Any update on the adapter?
Sorry about that, I had forgot that you have this discussion thread here. I did an update on the original expired deals thread.

The adapter is still on its slow boat from China, I am not expecting it anytime soon.

In the mean time, I have bought and rec'd a 128gb m.2 ssd from Amazon.com for $50US. It came yesterday. I have already setup Win8.1pro and is in the process of replacing my old aging R1F. Everything is running smooth on this little thing.

When the adapter does show up, I will probably give it a try and see if things work out, but most likely I will not use it on this machine.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
libballeng wrote: Sorry about that, I had forgot that you have this discussion thread here. I did an update on the original expired deals thread.

The adapter is still on its slow boat from China, I am not expecting it anytime soon.

In the mean time, I have bought and rec'd a 128gb m.2 ssd from Amazon.com for $50US. It came yesterday. I have already setup Win8.1pro and is in the process of replacing my old aging R1F. Everything is running smooth on this little thing.

When the adapter does show up, I will probably give it a try and see if things work out, but most likely I will not use it on this machine.
Are you planning on using this as a full blown computer? I'm sticking with KODI only so I was thinking of just adding an SDcard or USB key in case I needed extra space.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
9394 wrote: Are you planning on using this as a full blown computer? I'm sticking with KODI only so I was thinking of just adding an SDcard or USB key in case I needed extra space.
Nah, I was using the aging R1F as a bed side computer anyways, mostly for web browsing, watching ballstreams, some kodi/xbmc, as well as a little bit of MS office stuff. The R1F is actually still capable for most of these stuff, the only issue is the fan is constantly on, and is driving me nuts.

For now this little stream mini will do fine as the R1F replacement. I already have a 24 inch Dell touch screen monitor that I got for less than $200 a while back during one of Dell's refurbished sales. So this will match up with the stream mini perfectly.

If I have time, I may tinker with this thing and see if I can turn it into a fanless unit. :D
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
libballeng wrote: Nah, I was using the aging R1F as a bed side computer anyways, mostly for web browsing, watching ballstreams, some kodi/xbmc, as well as a little bit of MS office stuff. The R1F is actually still capable for most of these stuff, the only issue is the fan is constantly on, and is driving me nuts.

For now this little stream mini will do fine as the R1F replacement. I already have a 24 inch Dell touch screen monitor that I got for less than $200 a while back during one of Dell's refurbished sales. So this will match up with the stream mini perfectly.

If I have time, I may tinker with this thing and see if I can turn it into a fanless unit. :D
All you need to do is plastidip the Stream to a nice matte black finish!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1323 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
Well this thread just died. :) How is everyone enjoying their streams? I've had no issues with mine so far and it's running fine on the 2GB of RAM. Haven't played really any games but Kodi and Netflix working like a charm.

Anyone gaming on this thing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)