Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Huggies

Official Kids Diaper Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2013 10:35 pm

Poll: Best Diaper poll

• Total votes: 69. You have voted on this poll.
Huggies

13%
Pampers

72%
Kirkland

9%
No Name / Private Label

6%

Poll ended at Mar 1st, 2010 3:50 pm

Nov 5, 2007
471 posts
53 upvotes
Diaper Genie is a must-have for me. We were out of refills for about a week, and I ended up making a Costco run just to get some. Definitely worth it, they really seal out the stink.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
nufan wrote: Just curious, what didn't you like about the Diaper Genie, and what did you use instead? I assume the cost of refills is the main disadvantage with the Diaper Genie, but I've been told by others that they are a must for keeping the room stink free! We recently found out we are expecting so are in the early stages of planning what we need, thanks for your tips!

This was my experience (keep in mind YMMV as everyone is different)

- it was neat in the beginning and then ... we began to realize that the smell of the DG itself (a strange chemical odorizer to mask the poop) was starting to smell worse than baby poo.
- you/I associate baby poo as part of the parenting process so, really, it's way less offensive than let's say my 6 year old who can clear a bathroom real quick with his bowel movements. Baby poo just smells less offensive for many reasons.
- the DG leaks the "smell" everytime you open the top of the cannister and deposit a diaper. You just can't avoid it ... and then the DG is usually close by (like near the change table for convenience) so you always smell the DG.
- once you open the DG to collect the sausage links of twisted poop/diapers ... the chemical smell is very strong then AND you have the amalgamated baby poop/diaper smell to contend with. By that time, it starts to stink pretty good - and the 5 minutes you have to wrestle with the DG and putting the sausage link into the garbage can - can be gross.
- we just used plastic bags and/or those doggie poop bags that go for 50/3 bucks at Ikea or wherever. Tie 'em up and the smell is gone and you chuck them into the garbage so they don't accumulate to get super gross.
- also, it costs iirc ~ 35 bucks for the DG and ~ 8-10 bucks for a recharge, less on sale.

Anyways, that's just the top of my head. I'm not trying to discredit the DG as many other people like it. I'm just saying that it eventually wore out it's welcome with us ... and i'd like think that my experiences with 4 boys 10-3.5 have taught me a thing or two.

Might as well try it and see if you like it ... it's not that much money in the end. Sometimes though, there are products created that are a little too specialized and gimmicky but people are willing to try on faith alone that it will make their parenting experience a little less tenous. I can understand that.

Hope this helps someone out.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The main advantage of the DG is the convenience. The convenience of not having to dump the diapers in the garbage/organics bin outside every time you change the diapers. Because that's essentially what you need to do if you don't want any stink in the house or in the baby room. Yes, the DG may stink when you put a diaper in it, or when you get rid of the diaper sausage, but that's for mere seconds it takes to do that. If you use a shopping/doggie bag and leave it in the room/house until it is filled up, it's essentially the same thing. If you use one shopping/doggie bag for each diaper, then it's a huge waste... Not trying to discredit what you said, but I think you missed the point of a DG, which is like I said... convenience.
Dec 2, 2008
828 posts
343 upvotes
Thanh wrote: Details from the flyer:

thanks again. went to walmart here in toronto and the huggies were on sale and pampers not. the customer service agent said she wasn't sure but that she thought they were going on sale thurs or friday.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1023 posts
174 upvotes
GTA ON
nufan wrote: Just curious, what didn't you like about the Diaper Genie, and what did you use instead? I assume the cost of refills is the main disadvantage with the Diaper Genie, but I've been told by others that they are a must for keeping the room stink free! We recently found out we are expecting so are in the early stages of planning what we need, thanks for your tips!

We use the Diaper Champ. You can use a large grocery or shopping bag (ie: TRU large plastic bags) with the Diaper Champ.
Sep 8, 2008
47 posts
vancouver
Thanh wrote: Sept. 15th to 21st at Walmart:

Pampers Giant Pack (Baby Dry) or Huggies Giant Pack (Snug & Dry)
Size 3 (156), 4 (140), 5 (120) or 6 (100)

17.97$

While quantities last.
is this on the west coast too?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: The main advantage of the DG is the convenience. The convenience of not having to dump the diapers in the garbage/organics bin outside every time you change the diapers. Because that's essentially what you need to do if you don't want any stink in the house or in the baby room. Yes, the DG may stink when you put a diaper in it, or when you get rid of the diaper sausage, but that's for mere seconds it takes to do that. If you use a shopping/doggie bag and leave it in the room/house until it is filled up, it's essentially the same thing. If you use one shopping/doggie bag for each diaper, then it's a huge waste... Not trying to discredit what you said, but I think you missed the point of a DG, which is like I said... convenience.
No offense taken ... but I think you missed my entire point on why I didn't like the DG despite the "convenience" ... because I/we couldn't handle the "chemical perfumey" smell anymore of which the DG uses to mask the poopy diapers.

It got to the point where we didn't mind wrapping the poopy mess and putting it into a plastic bag and then disposing it into the garbage.

You say that's what the DG does ... and I agree with you. I did not say otherwise. All i'm saying is that despite the "advantages of convenience" of the DG ... the smell got to us to where it wasn't an advantage anymore, comprende?

When the convenience is negated ... then it's no longer a convenience for moi and thus we moved on. Others may not see it that way and that's perfectly fine.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3648 posts
800 upvotes
Deevusone wrote: We use the Diaper Champ. You can use a large grocery or shopping bag (ie: TRU large plastic bags) with the Diaper Champ.
I noticed in another thread about the Diaper Champ, and it does sound convenient than you can use ordinary bags, however if you do that isn't it essentially just a normal trash can? I thought the idea of the refills was that they can be easily sealed and lock the smell away better? Again don't really know much about either product so that was a question I had. Also, as I understand it you can't buy the Champ in Canada, so would require a trip to the states or someone who ships them here? (ebay perhaps? but shipping makes it really pricey)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3451 posts
449 upvotes
nufan wrote: I noticed in another thread about the Diaper Champ, and it does sound convenient than you can use ordinary bags, however if you do that isn't it essentially just a normal trash can? I thought the idea of the refills was that they can be easily sealed and lock the smell away better? Again don't really know much about either product so that was a question I had. Also, as I understand it you can't buy the Champ in Canada, so would require a trip to the states or someone who ships them here? (ebay perhaps? but shipping makes it really pricey)
+1 on this question.

We bought this and have not been happy with it lately. We've been noticing the last week or so we have to change the bag after only a few diapers otherwise you can start to smell it. Our daughter is getting older and with it comes more poop so maybe that's why. Either way, we need to figure something else out soon.
Aug 24, 2010
84 posts
10 upvotes
We've used the Diaper Genie for more than two years and I swear by it! They sell a 3-pack of refills at Costco for a great price which helps cut down on cost. Buying them individually at 'premium' retailers - like Shoppers Drug Mart or even Loblaw's will bankrupt you!

We use the DGII (where you insert the diaper and push). Friends of ours with an older child used the original diaper genie (where you insert the diaper and twist). Not only did the 'twist' system waste alot of the refill bagging, their refill bags were imprinted with a odd chemical smell which might be what Miss_Swan is referring to? I am VERY smell sensitive and I remember their bathroom always having 'that smell' whereas our DG refills don't bother me at all.

Also, we live in a condo where it's just not feasible to run the diaper outside every time. We find that with a 2 years old (in daycare during the day) that we have to empty it around every 5-7 days which is soooo easy!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3648 posts
800 upvotes
HiThere1 wrote: We've used the Diaper Genie for more than two years and I swear by it! They sell a 3-pack of refills at Costco for a great price which helps cut down on cost. Buying them individually at 'premium' retailers - like Shoppers Drug Mart or even Loblaw's will bankrupt you!

We use the DGII (where you insert the diaper and push). Friends of ours with an older child used the original diaper genie (where you insert the diaper and twist). Not only did the 'twist' system waste alot of the refill bagging, their refill bags were imprinted with a odd chemical smell which might be what Miss_Swan is referring to? I am VERY smell sensitive and I remember their bathroom always having 'that smell' whereas our DG refills don't bother me at all.

Also, we live in a condo where it's just not feasible to run the diaper outside every time. We find that with a 2 years old (in daycare during the day) that we have to empty it around every 5-7 days which is soooo easy!
Is it worth getting the "Elite" version of the DGII do you think? I guess it has a foot peddle instead of having to push it down? Not sure what other differences...Price difference seems to be about $15
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nufan wrote: Is it worth getting the "Elite" version of the DGII do you think? I guess it has a foot peddle instead of having to push it down? Not sure what other differences...Price difference seems to be about $15

I have the Elite version and it's useful to have the foot peddle to operate it hands-free. If you catch the Elite on sale, it brings down the price difference somewhat. Now that I think about it, I don't find the DGII refills to have any deodorizer/perfume smell. I wonder if that was only used for the original DG?
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville
Ssseth wrote: The DP II Elite is on sale at Babys R' Us right now for $40. Is that a decent deal?

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... Id=3316303

Anyone ever tried something like this instead of refills?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4671817_money-d ... fills.html

We have the DGII Elite and quite like it...our baby is only 2 months and 100% breastfed - so supposedly her bowel movements aren't as stinky - but I still think they are far from odourless. ;) I think the DG does a good job at holding in the smell - it has a clever little trap door so the dirty diapers are always "sealed" even when you open it to drop a dirty one in. And they seem to have gotten rid of the sausage type - its just a really long bag now. So you can cram in quite a few diapers into the bag.

I think there's a Diaper Genie coupon in the back of the Babies'R'Us magazine that you can get at the store for $5 off...not sure if you can stack the $5 on top of the $40 sale to bring it down to $35 - I think at $35 its a pretty good deal...unless you want to pick up one in Buffalo - I think they are about $25 there.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't believe the coupon in the back of the baby catalog can be used in conjunction to the sale (I think it says on regular price items only), but you can always try. But $40 for it is a pretty good deal as these things don't go on sale very often.
May 12, 2005
692 posts
38 upvotes
Markham
Ssseth wrote: The DP II Elite is on sale at Babys R' Us right now for $40. Is that a decent deal?

Starting on Friday, Zellers has a sale on the DGII Elite for $34.79. Cheaper than ToysRUs @ $40. The only comparable sale is at Walmart...IF you can still find them it's $45 but you get 2 extra refills. Was a better deal a few weeks ago when it was $40 with the 2 extra refills.

Refills are on sale at ToysRUs this Friday and Sat. $12 for 2.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3648 posts
800 upvotes

I think they are regular ~$35 for DGII and ~$45 for DGII Elite, so a savings of near enough to $5, better than nothing. Even better if that coupon mentioned above works on top of that.

LOL at the trick for free refills, true RFD tactic that one. I think my wife would disown me if she saw me sitting down trying to squeeze a regular garbage bag in to try "beat the system" :D

They should give these DG's away for free, must make a killing in the long run on these damn refills :)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3451 posts
449 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'll pick one up then!
Nov 15, 2005
144 posts
3 upvotes

Actually, we do this, with the glad garbage bags. We haven't bought refills ever and works pretty much the same. When you change bags it's an extra 30sec hassle, but worth it, as this has saved us a lot of money.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3451 posts
449 upvotes
wolverineTO wrote: Actually, we do this, with the glad garbage bags. We haven't bought refills ever and works pretty much the same. When you change bags it's an extra 30sec hassle, but worth it, as this has saved us a lot of money.
Good to know, thanks!