• Oct 18th, 2017 6:49 am
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1467 posts
459 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
BrickFlag wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:39 am
Cheers man; I will look at this air miles lark; seems like I could do well with it.
And yeah, reading the fine print....also good to test things where possible, as with Sears; sometimes their vouchers DON'T allow Lego, sometimes they do..

Thanks for the info. Wow you went to town at Sears ;-). I guess it depends....how much do you value an effective 35% off the sets? 2% ebates, too and do airmiles or GCR better this?

I would add; it ultimately depends on do you buy to open for sure, resell for sure, or like me (mostly) buy to open but put to one side in most cases until I have paid off my debt (might have to sell for rent ;-O)

a) 35% off is rare for anywhere except Amazon and particularly Walmart; the latter of which is HARD to grab in time as they tend to go for 50%. Neither of which is guaranteed to ship it in boxes; reports here vary, but Walmart has shipped Ewok villages in bags, or in the boxes it came in, and my Temple came in a bag. Also have to think about the sets; getting 50% off smaller sets is easier than bigger, it seems.

b)If you are going to open it and enjoy, does the box condition matter as much? I have to say, had I seen Jestro's Lair on Walmart for 50% off in time I would have leapt..but chances that it would have come in a bag were high enough. I didn't get it in the 3 minutes it was likely available so...

Grabbing something that size from Sears with another box.....throw in a clearance top or something (the hoodies I got for like $10 are excellent quality, way better than Walmart's cheapest)......and maybe a $3 clothes item to get over $199.99.....yeah, chances are it will come in less than stellar condition. But if I am sure I'll break it out and 35% with a chance to get it....

YMMV ;-)
I am not planning to be a reseller since I only buy 1 of each set. I will eventually build all the sets I have. I used to be picky about the box quality, but I care less and less now if the sale is decent.
Right now since I am not at my own house yet, I cannot display all the sets which don't encourage me to build sets, as I have to disassemble them to build new ones.
My main problem with LEGO right now is because of all the sales over 20%, I deviate from my wishlist because most of the sets on my wishlist were released within the last year or never go on sale.

For example here are the 10 sets I want the most (if I ignore the creator 3 in 1 sets):
  1. Slave I
  2. Kwik-E-Mart
  3. Ferris Wheel
  4. Heavy-Haul Train
  5. Ferrari F40
  6. Brick Bank
  7. Firehouse Headquarters
  8. Burj Khalifa
  9. Porche 911 GT3 RS
  10. Big Ben

Out of all these sets, only the Ferris Wheel, Heavy-Haul Train & Firehouse Headquarters went on sale as far as I know since their release. When Toys R Us had their 15% off coupon, I bought other sets which were higher on the list (mostly modular buildings).

The Ferris Wheel went on sale on Amazon in November 2015 for 185$ instead of 230$. 19.5% off a set that never goes on sale is awesome, but I didn't buy it because it was released in June 2015. I thought it would go on sale again... guess I was wrong!
The Heavy-Haul Train I am not in a rush because there is no new train model being released by LEGO, so I don't see that one going away anytime soon.
The Firehouse Headquarters went on sale on Amazon in February 2017 for 370$ instead of 400$. 7.5% off isn't that great since Double VIP Points is 10% but if you combo it with a 10%+ cash back like Swagbucks or Air Miles has some time, now it's awesome.

I was planning to be debt free by April 2017, but because of all the LEGO Sales, school and home gym purchases, I only saved around 25% of my debt amount. Since it's on the MBNA 0% balance transfer card I am not too worried, but it's still annoying to have debt :p
Hopefully, a nice bonus and salary increase will clear this by the end of the summer... :D

One thing I learn from last year regarding LEGO, you just gotta be patient and wait for the sets you want to go on sale.
ez_86 is the best example with the 25$ Fun in the Park set :D
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4156 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:57 am

ez_86 is the best example with the 25$ Fun in the Park set :D
lol Lego can drive you crazy sometimes
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1467 posts
459 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Amazon seems to be matching TRU price, seems like I will have to buy those Minecraft sets after all lol...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7640 posts
726 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:03 pm
Amazon seems to be matching TRU price, seems like I will have to buy those Minecraft sets after all lol...
40% off is too good to pass up, adding to the debt as we speak Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1467 posts
459 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
wlee wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:17 pm
40% off is too good to pass up, adding to the debt as we speak Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
I did the same, picked up all 5 Minecraft sets on sale lol...
Debating about getting the ones from Indigo at 20% off... we'll see how I feel tomorrow :D
Oct 2, 2016
147 posts
25 upvotes
Anyone have ever bought the last big ships from the LEGO movie (10210: Imperial Flagship) or pirates of Caribbean (4195: Queen Anne's Revenge)? Did they ever go on sale?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4711 posts
334 upvotes
wlee wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:17 pm
40% off? I thought it was 30%.

The village set seems to be awfully expensive for a bunch of common bricks, but 40% is enticing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7640 posts
726 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Archanfel wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:53 pm

40% off? I thought it was 30%.

The village set seems to be awfully expensive for a bunch of common bricks, but 40% is enticing.
Equivalent to 40% by ordering through airmilesshops.ca, 25x promo right now
Jun 8, 2008
209 posts
42 upvotes
I caved on the Village. I bought the amazon outlet version for $134 since I know I will be building it with my Minecraft obsessed daughter. I was hoping that Amazon would price match. I sent in the "tell us about a lower price" but I never know if it will actually amount to anything. Somehow they got the message
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2912 posts
389 upvotes
Was at local Costco today (crossiron mills) and they had the catwoman and mr. freeze Lego Batman Movie sets sir $20 each. Not much, but something.
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

HOCKEY IS one of Canada's National Sports, Since 1994!!!! MORE INFO IN THIS THREAD

SARCASM - Because arguing with stupid people isn't nearly as much fun!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4156 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
robskot wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:07 am
Was at local Costco today (crossiron mills) and they had the catwoman and mr. freeze Lego Batman Movie sets sir $20 each. Not much, but something.
reg price?

always good to show what the saving are compared to retail for anything lego related.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4156 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
zhaobinis1 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:31 pm
Anyone have ever bought the last big ships from the LEGO movie (10210: Imperial Flagship) or pirates of Caribbean (4195: Queen Anne's Revenge)? Did they ever go on sale?
both are retired sets br0... they stopped selling/making them.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
1467 posts
459 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
zhaobinis1 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:31 pm
I wasn't collecting a lot of LEGO back then, but I never saw a sale for the ship from LEGO Movie (Sea Cow, not the Imperial Flagship).
ez_86 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:40 pm
reg price?

always good to show what the saving are compared to retail for anything lego related.
Regular price is 25$, so 20% off.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 1 guest)

kukitsuwa, tekkamanraiden, Andro, matt4670, haihai