Cell Phones

Official LG G5 Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 12:02 am
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1306 posts
153 upvotes
I get this as well with public wifis. Must be a weak antenna.
Sep 20, 2015
60 posts
13 upvotes
Brantford, ON
vivibaby wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:53 pm
I get this as well with public wifis. Must be a weak antenna.
It sometimes switch even when I'm close to my router. I'm hoping it's a software issue that can be fixed. I did searched online with one solution to turn Smart Network Switch off, but I can't seem to find that setting.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10142 posts
3568 upvotes
bluefall wrote:
May 7th, 2017 4:32 pm
is any way to configure adoptable storage on the canadian G5 while it can not be rooted?
Yes you can, I figured this out some time ago, here are the instructions:
Guys this explains how to enable adopable storage for this tablet. This has been confirmed to be working. Please note that it will format your micro SD card, and to revert back you will need to factory reset your tablet. This mod will cause the tablet to recognize your micro SD card as internal storage, essentially giving you as much space as you want to install your apps.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Hook up the tablet to your computer via usb.

2. Download and install the drivers from LG. Also download minimal adb and fastboot, just google for it. Then extract it to a folder on your hard drive. Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to that folder you just made. Use this command prompt to complete the reddit steps below.

3. Unplug the gpad from your computer.

4. Enable developer options. To do this tap on the build number 7 times under software information in the device settings. Then go in the developer options and enable usb debugging.

5. Go here and follow the steps exactly:

Adoptable Storage on LG G5 (Non-Root)

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg5/comments/ ... 5_nonroot/ (link doesn't load properly, pasting steps instead):

Step 1: USB Debugging Enabled (go to Settings > About > Software info > Tap Build Number 7 times > Go back to main settings page > Developer Options > USB Debugging )
Step 2: Next you will need to have adb installed on your computer
Step 3: Open a command prompt window and type adb shell (with your phone connected and in Picture Transfer mode) This will start an adb shell
Step 4: After the shell has started type the command "sm list-disks" it will respond with something that looks like this: "disk:179,0" this is your SD card's ID
Step 5: Decide whether you want to dedicate 100% of this SD card as Internal Storage, or still have part of it be Portable Storage.
Step 6: Once you've decided, if you want your entire SD card to be Internal Storage then type "sm partition disk:179,0 private" if you want your SD card to be mixed type: "sm partition disk:179,0 mixed 50" 50 being the percentage of space you want dedicated to Internal Storage

6. Once you have done all that, go into your sd card that's now listed as internal in the storage settings. Tap on the three dots at the topic right and choose "migrate data".

7. You're done! Enjoy! :)
I can confirm that this works, however I am not sure I would recommend it. I did it with a 200gb micro SD card for a total of 232gb of internal storage, and then I installed a ton of apps. My phone became really sluggish. Now I have factory reset my phone and I just installed the apps I use the most. It made a huge difference, the phone just flies now. I think the problem with adoptable storage is that the micro SD cards are a lot slower than the nand memory built into the phone, so it's going to make your phone lag, particularly if you use a slower card. Good luck!
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1192 posts
302 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 1:39 pm
Yes you can, I figured this out some time ago, here are the instructions:

I can confirm that this works, however I am not sure I would recommend it. I did it with a 200gb micro SD card for a total of 232gb of internal storage, and then I installed a ton of apps. My phone became really sluggish. Now I have factory reset my phone and I just installed the apps I use the most. It made a huge difference, the phone just flies now. I think the problem with adoptable storage is that the micro SD cards are a lot slower than the nand memory built into the phone, so it's going to make your phone lag, particularly if you use a slower card. Good luck!
From experience, the adaptable storage in Android is a horrible (un)feature.

The phone will claim it pools storage across internal and micro SD card. All apps will still reside on the internal storage, unless you move them to SD card (only possible if you've formatted the SD card to expandable storage). Moving apps to SD card will break widgets.

I also found that the files would stash on the internal storage anyway, so the whole expandable storage deal is aweful. Though it's the only way to move apps to SD as of Marshmallow, it's just not worth it.

Keep Micro SD card on separate storage and put all your multimedia on the memory card.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Sep 21, 2014
152 posts
39 upvotes
North York, ON
Does anyone know where I can get the cheapest LG G5 H831 from a retail store. I'd rather not deal with third party or used phones. Best I can find was from Swiftronics ($400) or from Wind ($500).

Also, in terms of Fully Body Cases are there any recommendations? I was a fan of Body Glove's ShockSuit Line but they seem to have stopped making them past the G4.
Preferably looking for a rugged case with a slim profile with a built in screen protector. SUPCASE has something similar from their Unicorn Beetle Pro Line but I'm not a fan of PC backsides. Hoping to find something before I upgrade my phone, mostly due to the fact that I want to test the APTX HD capabilities for my BT headset.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10142 posts
3568 upvotes
Guys the Google Pixel camera has been ported over to the G5! Check it out:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-c ... dr-ported/

I just installed it and it makes a huge difference to the quality of the photos, particularly in low light. It's a bit clunky but it's nice to get the enhanced photo quality.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.