• Mar 1st, 2018 6:53 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2716 posts
551 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 5:42 am
I got this phone from Koodo, and use it to browse imgur while taking a dump. No problem washing with soap afterwards. That’s the only thing it is good for.
I wish you can still downvote posts.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1512 posts
728 upvotes
Anyone with issues with auto adjusting the brightness? It adjusts after toggling on/off the auto brightness but that isn't very practical. Was in the complete dark yesterday and my phone was at 25-40% brightness which doesnt make any sense.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14045 posts
5566 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 7:18 pm
Thinking of getting this for my wife as she's had the G4 and G5. Anyone had issues with the GPS on these? Its known issue for the G5 - https://phandroid.com/2016/08/17/lg-g5-issues-problems/
I've had no issues at all with my G6. It's an extremely nice phone and a very decent upgrade over the G5. You should also check out the Galaxy S8 though, you might prefer it, depending on the price. The G6 is a very well rounded phone with no glaring flaws. What I like most about it is the design and build quality. It's a really nice handset.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Apr 20, 2015
272 posts
39 upvotes
Brampton, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:46 am
I've had no issues at all with my G6. It's an extremely nice phone and a very decent upgrade over the G5. You should also check out the Galaxy S8 though, you might prefer it, depending on the price. The G6 is a very well rounded phone with no glaring flaws. What I like most about it is the design and build quality. It's a really nice handset.
thanks, that's good to know, my wife has been suffering with the GPS issue for a while now but still likes the LG interface etc. I'll take a trip down to Koodo and check it out in person too
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
129 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:46 am
They s8 is one gen ahead with a newer processor and very good camera

Other than poor camera, useless front camera and poor battery life, it's not bad the G6 especially the price you can pick on up at

But the battery life is a joke on this thing...the rear camera is usable with the gcam mod, but need one app for regular camera , one app for wide-angle. Front camera is lost cause
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14045 posts
5566 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:09 am
They s8 is one gen ahead with a newer processor and very good camera

Other than poor camera, useless front camera and poor battery life, it's not bad the G6 especially the price you can pick on up at

But the battery life is a joke on this thing...the rear camera is usable with the gcam mod, but need one app for regular camera , one app for wide-angle. Front camera is lost cause
Poor camera? You're kidding right? I would take the dual cameras on the g6 over the single lens on the galaxy s8 any day. The only true advantage of the s8 is the faster processor and perhaps the OLED screen. If that's worth $200 extra to you, good for you. It doesn't apply to everyone.

See here for more details:

https://www.greenbot.com/article/319491 ... xy-s8.html
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
129 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:31 am
Poor camera? You're kidding right? I would take the dual cameras on the g6 over the single lens on the galaxy s8 any day. The only true advantage of the s8 is the faster processor and perhaps the OLED screen. If that's worth $200 extra to you, good for you. It doesn't apply to everyone.
Nope...camera is garbage if use stock lg camera app...the gcam hacks make it usable but you will need different apps for the regular and wide angle lens camera. Also wide angle lens is luck of draw depending if you got the 2.01 or 2.09 lens

Even with gcam mod..it's still not even comparable to a s8 or old nexus 6p or 5x

Front is useless period

Battery life is horrible and no updates from LG. 4hr SOT on full charge. Everyone is still rocking 7.0 and my last security update is Oct 2017

Yes, I agree with you that only reason to get this phone is price but have to know giving up camera, battery life and updates in exchange for it. It's ok for under $350 new

Idle battery drain on this thing is insane.. supposedly fixed in the Jan 2018 update but only some got it. I lose around 1-2% per hr overnight
Jan 16, 2011
622 posts
134 upvotes
Out There!!!!
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:40 pm
Nope...camera is garbage if use stock lg camera app...the gcam hacks make it usable but you will need different apps for the regular and wide angle lens camera. Also wide angle lens is luck of draw depending if you got the 2.01 or 2.09 lens

Even with gcam mod..it's still not even comparable to a s8 or old nexus 6p or 5x

Front is useless period

Battery life is horrible and no updates from LG. 4hr SOT on full charge. Everyone is still rocking 7.0 and my last security update is Oct 2017

Yes, I agree with you that only reason to get this phone is price but have to know giving up camera, battery life and updates in exchange for it. It's ok for under $350 new

Idle battery drain on this thing is insane.. supposedly fixed in the Jan 2018 update but only some got it. I lose around 1-2% per hr overnight
Nope....my G6 camera is great, the front camera is good, and the battery life is fantastic. No regrets here.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
129 upvotes
superlink wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:46 pm
Nope....my G6 camera is great, the front camera is good, and the battery life is fantastic. No regrets here.
It all depends what you're comparing to. To a 2014 or prior phone yes it's great. Too bad the G6 was released in 2017 and not 2014
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14045 posts
5566 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:40 pm

Front is useless period

I have solved my idle battery drain on the G6. You need Greenify and you need to use Minimal ADB and Fastboot to properly enable the full non-root working mode for it. I am now getting over 6 hours of screen on time which is pretty much the best I have ever seen on a smartphone. Absolutely minimal idle battery drain. Anyhow, once you install Greenify as I explained above you will need to run it and it will tell you which apps are hogging the battery. Hibernate them if you can. In my case the Swiftkey keyboard was the problem and I was unable to hibernate it in Greenify so I uninstalled it and I'm using the stock LG keyboard which I have gotten used to, it's actually not bad. I hibernated about five or six apps that were causing the drain.

By the way, app drainage issues like this can happen on *any* phone, including the s8. From everything I have read the real world battery life is pretty much a wash between the G6 and the s8.

You seem bent on hating this phone for no good reason, and you don't even bother to respond to the links I provide which disprove your false claims. Not cool.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14045 posts
5566 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 1:25 pm
There is a better camera app for this?
It's nonsense. The stock LG camera app is great.

He's talking about the camera app that someone from XDA ported over from the Pixel phones. Try it if you want. I like the stock app much better.

See here:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-c ... ngle-lens/

The wide angle lens works also.

*edit* Here is the latest version:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30 ... e-t3747263

I just tried it and I don't notice much difference at all.
Last edited by SickBeast on Feb 11th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
129 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:55 pm
I have solved my idle battery drain on the G6. You need Greenify and you need to use Minimal ADB and Fastboot to properly enable the full non-root working mode for it. I am now getting over 6 hours of screen on time which is pretty much the best I have ever seen on a smartphone. Absolutely minimal idle battery drain. Anyhow, once you install Greenify as I explained above you will need to run it and it will tell you which apps are hogging the battery. Hibernate them if you can. In my case the Swiftkey keyboard was the problem and I was unable to hibernate it in Greenify so I uninstalled it and I'm using the stock LG keyboard which I have gotten used to, it's actually not bad. I hibernated about five or six apps that were causing the drain.

By the way, app drainage issues like this can happen on *any* phone, including the s8. From everything I have read the real world battery life is pretty much a wash between the G6 and the s8.

You seem bent on hating this phone for no good reason, and you don't even bother to respond to the links I provide which disprove your false claims. Not cool.
You provided one link to a blog. I have this phone and a 6p beside it and have used a s8

Just goto the G6 subreddit and see huge difference in camera from using the stock camera app vs gcam hack

But thanks for the tips with battery life...even new with no apps installed and uninstall and disabled the LG bloat including the ldb via service menu...it was still not great.
Last edited by TrafficEng on Feb 11th, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.