Computers & Electronics

Official Moonbox user thread: 4K Quad Core Moonbox M4S (Moonbox PRO) is HERE!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 12:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough

Official Moonbox user thread: 4K Quad Core Moonbox M4S (Moonbox PRO) is HERE!!!

Update June 8, 2017:
Any Moonbox Pro customers, please contact your reseller for free 180 days of fast fish subscription. If you bought a Pro from me, please email me with proof of purchase to start the process. You will need to give me the box. Please expect up to 10 business days to get the free subscription loaded.

Update Apr 23, 2017:
Please download fast fish app, look back app and vod app in tv apps garden. For access please pay usd30 to PayPal/wechat/qq account. instructions on screen.

*Support for cloudvod, iliveplus, love replay are discontinued until further notice.

*Support for 58Live/NamVOD are discontinued.

Quad core powered Moonbox M3S has arrived!
Featuring a quad core processor, a quad core graphics processor, 1GB RAM and 8GB Flash.

Review - Comparing M3S with M3:
The new Moonbox M3S is white in colour vs the black of M3. All the accessories (A/C adapter, ethernet cable) are also white in colour. It's footprint is roughly the same size as before except it is lower profile (not as high) as the previous generation. The positioning of the ports have changed somewhat but the same type / quantity of ports are all there. At the front there are additional lights to show its status vs the one embedded LED on the previous version.

The weight is the first thing you'll notice that's different about the new box. It feels significantly heavier and more dense. The remote has changed as well with the addition of some buttons for controlling your TV. Otherwise, a remote from the M3 would work with the M3S as well. The A/C adapter takes a lower input current at 0.35A instead of the 0.5A from the M3 A/C adapter. But otherwise they both output at 5V 2.0A.

Boot up time is relatively the same but once boot, the response time is much faster and snappier. In fact they added a transition animation for switching screens when starting or exiting an application. The same apps that were available for the M3 are also available for the M3S. None of the discontinued apps are present to avoid confusion. I did not notice any change in speed in loading the videos or shows, as that's primarily a function of your network speed. Kodi 15.0 does come preinstalled as an app but no settings or tuning or optimization has been done. You'll need to install add-ons or get someone to do that for you in order to view any content whatsoever.

Just set up KODI with some add-ons and watched Interstellar in 1080P. The video performance was stellar! No buffering, no stuttering, very snappy skips (forwards or backwards). Audio is synchronized with the video. This is exciting stuff!

Moonbox is one of the latest android powered IPTV devices that allows you to watch asian TV content, whether it be live TV streaming, delayed timeshifting TV streaming, archived episodes, movies or even games.

It differs from existing IPTV devices like TVPad in that it is a true android device and allows installation of APK either manually or via Google PlayStore. It is better than generic android boxes as there are Moonbox specific apps that connect to content servers that authenticate the validity of the device's MAC address to filter out the general public.

From a pricing standpoint, it is cheaper than the TVPad but provides more content in a way that is organized better and easier to look for content to view, whereas the overall layout of the TVPad is not as intuitive. Admittedly, it is more expensive than generic android boxes but the exclusive access to content servers explains why that is.

For the majority of overseas Chinese, this box is a must have. If you already have a TVPad, get the Moonbox to supplement your viewing pleasure as the the stream sources on the TVPad have been reported to be unavailable at certain times, i.e. during World Cup. If you don't yet have a IPTV device, get the Moonbox first as it has MORE content than the TVPad to offer and much easier to find.

If you have a Moonbox, post up your feedback. If you don't have a Moonbox, post up your questions!

Please check this youtube channel for product demo video
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFE81_ ... M0dJVB9jFA

Update 10/12/2014:

Welcome to the era of MoonBox III+
Exclusive only to RFDers

There are some big changes happening at MoonBox coming in the near future, but I'm really excited to tell you that people who participate in my group buys going forward will have first dibs on this new feature I'm personally calling "MoonBox III+". This is something exclusive to us that the distributor has offered for the overwhelming support we have shown. He's assured me that no one else gets the MoonBox III+ until it becomes publicly available around the world. But we get a sneak peek!

What makes MoonBox III+ better than MoonBox III sold by generic resellers in pmall and online, are 90 high quality channels, which of particular note is NBA HD!

One app to rule them all. No need to jump around to different apps for different channels. Much higher quality.

(fear not, previous group buy participants, i'm still seeing if there's a way to MoonBox III+ your MoonBox III.)

Watch TSN/SportsNet, 24/7 Simpsons, Star Trek, Married With Children, etc.:
XBMC
Videos
Addons
Mash Up
Live Streams
One242415 Italian and International Streams
Scroll down to CANADA and UNITED STATES

Mashup add on is no longer in operation

Mashup is sort of back in action, revived by the community...

The core community within Mashup has also branched out and formed their own addon to provide TSN/SportsNet, 24/7 Simpsons, etc.
Last edited by actng on Aug 29th, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
3766 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
XBMC
One of the major benefits of the Moonbox is the ability to install third party APKs, unlike the TVPad. While you can do this on any android box, the Moonbox positions itself as the all-in-one tv media box if you install xbmc. This way on one box you are able to control and view both English and Chinese sources of programming. While Moonbox already comes with English movies available, xbmc expands your viewing content library infinitely.

Who else has XBMC installed?

KODI/XBMC : http://kodi.tv/download/ ARM version
Then install XBMC Hub Wizard : https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-instal ... ub-wizard/

To install XBMC...
1. Open Browser on Moonbox (Apps Tab - labeled "Internet")
2. Goto above URL
3. Download the ARM version
4. Install

Mashup XBMC addon
http://mashupxbmc.com/install
The Mashup Add-on has a lot of movies... English, Chinese, and more.
If you're having issues with the aspect ratio of the movie, make sure you go into System settings of XBMC and in the video settings, turn off any hardware acceleration.

To install Mashup...
1. Open Browser on Moonbox (Apps Tab - labeled "Internet")
2. Goto above URL
3. Click Download
4. Install
5. You may need to browse to the location where the file is downloaded to initiate the install.
Mashup add on is no longer in operation.

Audio Sync issue
In XBMC, the default settings often cause an audio sync issue where the audio does not match the video. There are a few settings that did the trick for me.

1. Settings | Videos | Playback
2. SELECT : Sync playback to display
3. A/V Sync method : "Video clock (Drop/Dupe Audio)" or "Video clock (resample audio)". DO NOT use Audio Clock.

make sure you change to advanced/expert settings to see the options.

Video Resolution issue
In XBMC, some movies played through the add-ons like Mashup incorrectly stretch the picture vertically. What should have been a 2.35:1 movie gets stretched into 16:9... making cars seem shorter and people skinnier and taller. If you search the internet, there are a bunch of incorrect suggestions that don't work or apply for Moonbox.

The default settings have hardware acceleration turned on for video. Once I turned them off, the picture resolution was perfect.

1. Settings | Videos | Acceleration
2. Decoding method : Hardware accelerated
3. Allow hardware acceleration (amcodec) | (libstagefright) | (MediaCodec) : DESELECT

make sure you change to advanced/expert settings to see the options.

Popcorn Time
Popcorn Time : http://www.time4popcorn.eu/android.html

Heard many good things about this app long before Moonbox/TVPad was around. Very happy to see that there is an android version available with built in VPN to mask your traffic, as it is p2p. This app has all the latest movies in HD and subtitles and I find it works slightly better in terms of audio/video sync than xbmc. However, my internet seems to be too slow for it to play smoothly right now.

You need to enable the mouse on the Moonbox remote in order to use Popcorn time. The up/down/left/right keys do not work. Probably best used with an airmouse or a wireless kb/mouse combo.

TV Apps Garden
TV Apps Garden is installed by default on your moonbox. I don't have a link to download it so don't uninstall it by mistake. Within it are a number of apps that are moonbox specific. You can download more apps for more content.

I downloaded 球迷TV and found Formula 1 racing without the commentary. Just engine noises!!! The F1 feed sourcing this app is no longer transmitting to IP addresses outside of China. But Ray of HD's Fox 3HD channel broadcasts F1 coverage live and on repeat.
Dec 27, 2006
495 posts
28 upvotes
lovin the moonbox. only channel i've had trouble with is CNN, which is disappointing but everything else has ran very smoothly. love the auto update feature for apps.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
So, for a few apps, especially the android related ones (like setup, google play), I find that the screen would become way stretched out and I can't seem all that is displayed.

The rest of the time, everything seems to be fine, like when I use the moonbox menus and apps that came with the box.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix it ??

Btw, the zoom button on remote is useless when this happens.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
you can calibrate the display for your tv in moonbox. it's in one of the settings.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1461 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Download and upload speed requirements?
Hourly viewing bandwidth requirements?
How it's the video quality during peak times vs off peak times?

Are there uploads from users (peer to peer)? Or is video hosted at various servers? Are videos hosted in North America?

Are firmware / software updates pushed from a single official source automatically? Is there a way to side load firmware / software updates.

Are the Chinese channels eg TVB accessed within XBMC or through the Moonbox GUI
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm on a 35 down and 3 up internet plan and it works decent.

Hourly it draws at least 300MB but it depends on the source and quality of your stream/content.

Peak vs non peak seems to have no effect on video quality for me. Online streaming is never 100% at this time so there will be occasional outages due to a myriad of reasons (just like how sometimes youtube videos don't load or play properly). I found setting up my quality of service on the router drastically improved performance. Deprioritize the torrents and prioritize the moonbox traffic.

Depending on the content you wish to watch, you will pick an app. Depending on the app, some will access dedicated Moonbox servers. Some will access "public" servers like Funshion, QQ, QIY, etc. Some of those apps may be P2P. I have seen an ad for Moonbox where they claim there are servers in NA.

The box downloads updates from the internet, or if you wish, you can install them manually via TF card or USB stick.

XBMC can be installed separately but TVB is found in several Moonbox specific app.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
hdom wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2014 10:38 am
So, for a few apps, especially the android related ones (like setup, google play), I find that the screen would become way stretched out and I can't seem all that is displayed.

The rest of the time, everything seems to be fine, like when I use the moonbox menus and apps that came with the box.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix it ??

Btw, the zoom button on remote is useless when this happens.
actng wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2014 1:21 pm
you can calibrate the display for your tv in moonbox. it's in one of the settings.
this is where you calibrate the tv screen output

also, make sure you're connected using the HDMI cable and that the TV recognizes it as a digital signal

ensure you are running in Just Scan mode or 16:9 mode.

it sounds to me like you may be running in wide screen mode probably for a particular movie and forgot to return it to 16:9.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1461 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Does it upload peer to peer like TVPad? Ie users need to seed like Torrents? Or strictly download from server(s)?

Are there store in First Markham Place or Pacific Mall live demoing this Moonbox III Dual Core?

What was the approx release dates for the previous models? In trying to gauge when the next model (Quad Core?) Would be released.
actng wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2014 9:21 pm
I'm on a 35 down and 3 up internet plan and it works decent.

Hourly it draws at least 300MB but it depends on the source and quality of your stream/content.

Peak vs non peak seems to have no effect on video quality for me. Online streaming is never 100% at this time so there will be occasional outages due to a myriad of reasons (just like how sometimes youtube videos don't load or play properly). I found setting up my quality of service on the router drastically improved performance. Deprioritize the torrents and prioritize the moonbox traffic.

Depending on the content you wish to watch, you will pick an app. Depending on the app, some will access dedicated Moonbox servers. Some will access "public" servers like Funshion, QQ, QIY, etc. Some of those apps may be P2P. I have seen an ad for Moonbox where they claim there are servers in NA.

The box downloads updates from the internet, or if you wish, you can install them manually via TF card or USB stick.

XBMC can be installed separately but TVB is found in several Moonbox specific app.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
Kursor17 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 10:35 am
Does it upload peer to peer like TVPad? Ie users need to seed like Torrents? Or strictly download from server(s)?

Are there store in First Markham Place or Pacific Mall live demoing this Moonbox III Dual Core?

What was the approx release dates for the previous models? In trying to gauge when the next model (Quad Core?) Would be released.
p2p already covered this above. depends on the app and content u are watching. moonbox specific apps are not p2p.

pmall has it for sure. selling for 230.

dual core just came out. a lot of stores still selling single core for 230.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1461 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
TVB stream(s) p2p or server hosted?
actng wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 10:39 am
p2p already covered this above. depends on the app and content u are watching. moonbox specific apps are not p2p.

pmall has it for sure. selling for 230.

dual core just came out. a lot of stores still selling single core for 230.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
Kursor17 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 10:43 am
TVB stream(s) p2p or server hosted?
server
potentially north american
depending on traffic
Jun 24, 2007
64 posts
18 upvotes
Does anyone have problem with the HD channel on the playback feature?
Jan 13, 2004
696 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
is this better than xbmc plugins like azdrama.net etc?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)