Computers & Electronics

Official Moonbox user thread: 4K Quad Core Moonbox M4S (Moonbox PRO) is HERE!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2004
52 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Noob1ee wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:25 am
Noticed our Moonbox got locked this morning. Definitely not paying them this scam charge, just going to buy an android box and load up hrsj800 on it.
Definitely NOT worth paying $15 just to use this POS Moonbox to be extorted for more $$ in a month or so.

Also looking for an android box alternative for hrsj800.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
2832 posts
321 upvotes
Bomby wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 3:40 pm
Definitely NOT worth paying $15 just to use this POS Moonbox to be extorted for more $$ in a month or so.

Also looking for an android box alternative for hrsj800.
My plan is to wait for Black Friday and hope for a deal on a decent android box.
Nov 11, 2017
0 posts
I tried to search for FDCPAY via WeChat to pay the $15, all I could get is FDC (a picture of basketball player), is that the right person?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1076 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Not at home to test it, but just a thought... I recall moonbox doesn't require active internet connection when turned on to work (unlike tvpad requiring green man)...

If that's true, can we block the IP that does moonbox's authentication to prevent it from sending service denial?
Last edited by eeto on Nov 12th, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 23, 2003
928 posts
65 upvotes
georgieboy1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:14 pm
I tried to search for FDCPAY via WeChat to pay the $15, all I could get is FDC (a picture of basketball player), is that the right person?
That s the right one.

me not going to pay... but added him and try to see what promise he will give about the $15..but so far. none
Jul 15, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sabpf118 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:49 pm
Found this on Youtube and hope that it is true (Just check the published text by clicking "SHOW MORE")
Sabpf118,

Thanks for sharing the link, I hope Australian team will come through for us.

I am pretty sure what they did is rubbing many people the wrong way and there must be programmers or developers out there being impacted and are willing to do something about it.

I am quite busy for the next few days but I am going to try a few things once I am free too.

DO NOT PAY, this is a scam !! If we do, it will only encourage more vendors to do the same thing.
Jul 15, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eeto wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:47 pm
Not at home to test it, but just a thought... I recall moonbox doesn't require active internet connection when turned on to work (unlike tvpad requiring green man)...

If that's true, can we block the IP that does moonbox's authentication to prevent it from sending service denial?
eeto,

You are correct, the box will boot fine without network connection, I hard reset the box using the reset button, disconnected the network cable and it booted just fine.

Blocking the IP address or Web link at the router is possible and will likely work, the trouble is where to find the IP address or web link ?
Nov 10, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
manza7 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:52 pm
Sabpf118,

Thanks for sharing the link, I hope Australian team will come through for us.

I am pretty sure what they did is rubbing many people the wrong way and there must be programmers or developers out there being impacted and are willing to do something about it.

I am quite busy for the next few days but I am going to try a few things once I am free too.

DO NOT PAY, this is a scam !! If we do, it will only encourage more vendors to do the same thing.
Totally agree with you "Do Not Pay" ... And, hope that we will able to get the "solution" soon. In case some of you have missed the published text which came with the Youtube clips, please see the copy and paste message as below:

Hi to all the Moonbox User
As I find out that Moonbox is going to take money from the user, I was so frustrated and angry with them, they are a lier, and bastard don't believe them.
Don't pay any money to them, they will take your money and run away
I'm working on the solution to help everyone to fix this.
it will take around 2 weeks after they lock our box
how can they lock our moonbox?
Because we are using moonbox operating system so they have the access to our box and lock it.
my solution is, we will have to update the moonbox operating system so they don't have access to our box, they can't lock our box,
subscribe and as soon our new operating system ready I will have a video to show you the solution
remember don't pay them or fast fish, they will not get any money from us.

大家好!我們曾經是Moonbox澳洲代理商。經過這次Moonbox的收費,我們表示極之不認同及不支持!我已經找到一些專業人士重新編寫一個可以覆蓋Moonbox的程式!請大家稍等,我們會盡快把新程式的測試做好,然後再向大家發佈安裝的方法!請不要在不明朗的環境下向不明來歷的人胡亂給錢!
Nov 10, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
manza7 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:59 pm
eeto,

You are correct, the box will boot fine without network connection, I hard reset the box using the reset button, disconnected the network cable and it booted just fine.

Blocking the IP address or Web link at the router is possible and will likely work, the trouble is where to find the IP address or web link ?
I think by changing the IP address, it will not work.... this is because they registered our Moobox by using the MAC number, which is unique for each device. IP address will change all the time when you login to a network in different time or sequence.
Mar 23, 2003
928 posts
65 upvotes
Sabpf118 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:21 pm
I think by changing the IP address, it will not work.... this is because they registered our Moobox by using the MAC number, which is unique for each device. IP address will change all the time when you login to a network in different time or sequence.
I hope this guy won't say .. give me $20 one time for this hack and you don't have to pay those guys $15 every year... LOL
Mar 23, 2003
928 posts
65 upvotes
today..my moonbox stuck at the moonbox logo screen.. even with the cable unplugged..

that FDC guy replied me:

we only responsible the for the regular operation of the box. we are not responsible for the installation of apps.

so I guess he confirmed that the $15 is the turning on fee for a year. Given that Moonbox no longer provide contents.. you can only use it by installing your own app after you pay... and that is.....
Last edited by softech on Nov 12th, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 15, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sabpf118 wrote:
The goal is to block the IP address or the web addr to the Moonbox authentication server, if the box cannot find the authentication server, it should continue to boot just like when you boot the box without a network connection, at least that is the theory but being able to find the IP addr or web addr of the authentication server is another story.

I can access the system files using ES file Explorer, will look into it when I get free.
Jul 15, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
softech wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:42 pm
that FDC guy replay me:

we only responsible the for the regular operation of the box. we are not responsible for the installation of apps.

so I guess he confirmed that the $15 is the turning on fee for a year. Given that Moonbox no longer provide contents.. you can only use it by installing your own app after you pay... and that is.....
LOL, we are still talking to this guy? Imagine you bought a car, then the manufacturer failed to pay it's parts vendors who then decide to remotely shut off your car and force you to pay so they can recoup the bad debt. WTF....

Besides, what are they authenticating anyway, all Moonbox free apps were dead a long time ago, we should be able to use the box any which way we see fit, to have a so called server guy locking up our boxes and demanding money is just ridiculous, even hilarious when it is a repetitive fee on an annual basis..
Last edited by manza7 on Nov 12th, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1076 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
manza7 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 7:59 pm
eeto,

Thta's good news! Another thought..

1. Connect a laptop using Wifi. Use laptop ethernet port to share internet connection with moonbox. Allowing the laptop to supply internet to moonbox (turn off moonbox's wifi to make sure its really the Ethernet is the sole internet provider).
2. Power up moonbox and use Wireshark to listen to laptop's Ethernet port.
3. Fish all IPs moonbox communicates to through the Ethernet port.
4. Compile the IP list - will be a long consider how Asian apps like to phone home 24/7
5. Divide and conquer the list. Block IPs group by group, using windows HOSTS file.
6. Restart Moonbox to see if authenticate server address gets blocked - If (true) cheers! else go back #5 and block another group
7. Hope moonbox only uses one IP to do authentication.

sorry... I can't test this atm... having a test tomorrow :(

edit: On second thought, we can read the network logs in router's admin, coming from the moonbox's internal IP to external IP. That will do #1-#3. Reason I've listed #1-#3 cause the list will be much cleaner if its just listening to a single port with a single device.
Last edited by eeto on Nov 12th, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1076 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Sabpf118 wrote:
The auth error appears to be an overlay... I don't believe moonbox was designed to be authenticated based service (like tvpad greenman). Allowing users to use the box without internet, giving us flexibilty to install APKs would be some strong indication.

So I believe the auth error we are all seeing now, is nothing more than a stupid message popup that has no OK button for us to click to close it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

kattom650