Real Estate

The Official Mortgage Rates Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 11:22 am
Mar 20, 2017
13 posts
Montreal
Hello,
CanWise broker offers 2.04% fixed rate for 2 years with Scotia bank. In my situation legal fees are 750$ to get out of mortgage line of credit, would otherwise be free.
What do you guys think of this offer? It looks fairly competitive.

Thanks,
Olivier
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3814 upvotes
BC
Sungate wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:32 pm
I have TD collateral mortgage we took 3 years ago, that was registered as the twice of amount of mortgage, even exceeded a house appraisal value.
However when I opened HELOC 2 years ago, it was registered separately, the legal cost was waived by TD bank, back at the time.
A few months ago I asked to increase HELOC and application was approved for small additional amount.
The issue now that bank is claiming legal fees again $550, to increase registration of original HELOC by this additional amount, and which is still less than the old initial appraisal value of the house, and overall, include HELOCs and mortgage, it is less than 60% of house value.
I thought all legal fees covered by initial registration 3 y ago.
Can anybody to clarify? It seems rip off
Thank you
LOL. Find a new branch.

Or ask them to visit here: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/m/product ... basics.jsp

And read the section at the bottom under HELOC called "collateral charge" and how the benefit is no new registration needed.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4222 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto
olabreche wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,
CanWise broker offers 2.04% fixed rate for 2 years with Scotia bank. In my situation legal fees are 750$ to get out of mortgage line of credit, would otherwise be free.

Thanks,
Olivier
Depends...what is your current mortgage rate?

I would suggest going variable over a short-term fixed. Best variable rate is 1.75% 5-year variable.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
3719 posts
814 upvotes
olabreche wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

Thanks,
Olivier
2.04% for 2 yrs is a great rate if it's true. I would double check that though since their website is advertising 2.29%. Also double check what fees you have to pay. Your current mortgage line of credit is with scotiabank or a different lender?

http://www.canwise.com/rates
Mar 20, 2017
13 posts
Montreal
Speedy1 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:31 pm
2.04% for 2 yrs is a great rate if it's true. I would double check that though since their website is advertising 2.29%. Also double check what fees you have to pay. Your current mortgage line of credit is with scotiabank or a different lender?

http://www.canwise.com/rates
Broker from CanWise confirmed again the rate today. Looks like a serious offer, but there may be some fine print I am missing at the moment. Broker says there is no need for CMHC insured loan to get this rate, but not sure if there couldn't be another pitfall down the road.

I have a mortgage line of credit with National Bank of Canada. Broker says that type of loan cannot be simply transfered to a new bank and must be refinanced, involving higher legal fees (I am in QC). I want to convert to a conventional mortgage and be done with this type of BS. No need for line of credit anyway.

I also think this is a great offer, guarantees a great rate for 2 years and lets me renegociate 2 years from now. Who knows, rates could be even lower than today at this point.
Mar 20, 2017
13 posts
Montreal
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:45 pm
Depends...what is your current mortgage rate?

I would suggest going variable over a short-term fixed. Best variable rate is 1.75% 5-year variable.
Why do you suggest variable over short-term fixed? Seems like the risk of rate hike is higher in the case of a 5-years variable. With short term fixed I can renegotiate another fixed term in 2 years.

My current mortgage is 2.85 fixed for 4 years, coming to terms in June. Not sure how that matters regarding the renewal.

Is your 1.75% variable rate available for non-CMHC insured loans? What institution?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1306 posts
727 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
The rate mentioned is only available for insured deals... a refinance, such as yours, unfortunately does not qualify for that rate. I guess Kevin forgot to mention it.
olabreche wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:25 pm
Why do you suggest variable over short-term fixed? Seems like the risk of rate hike is higher in the case of a 5-years variable. With short term fixed I can renegotiate another fixed term in 2 years.

My current mortgage is 2.85 fixed for 4 years, coming to terms in June. Not sure how that matters regarding the renewal.

Is your 1.75% variable rate available for non-CMHC insured loans? What institution?

Thanks!
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
FSCO # 10428 - Mortgage Intelligence
BTW = I'm the former "Laptop-tech" member here. Just changed the username.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
3375 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
olabreche wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks!
Just wanted to add a bit more to Andre's comment about the 1.75% variable being only available on insured deals (that is, purchases with LESS than 20% down) and NOT available on refinances. It also has a ridiculously high penalty of 3% of the mortgage amount. Substantial considering that the standard penalty to break a variable rate mortgage is only 3 months interest.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker
CityCan Financial Corp (lic. 10532)
Mar 20, 2017
3 posts
Hi,

I am in QC and looking to refinance away from National Bank's Line of Credit. Not insured, equivalent of about 30 % down. Got the same offer from Canawise as olabreche but with TD and about 2,000$ of cashback.
Have not seen the details of the loan from TD.

I am looking for two options, a 5 year variable and a 3 year variable rate.

btw, how do I get in touch with one of the brokers on the forum ?

Thanks !
Feb 5, 2005
409 posts
19 upvotes
Hello there, potential first time condo/home buyer and looking for the best 5 year fixed rate - planning 20% down payment. I was pre-approved with the HSBC 2.35% rate but still confirming if that is a collateral or not (they are slow to talk to). Is the next best thing 2.39% at CanWise?
Heatware/eBay Profiles Available on Request
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1306 posts
727 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Make sure you can qualify for the rate you see posted online. A lot of lenders are now pricing the rates based on the Loan To Value ratio, and 80% is the most expensive, while 65% and high ratio (insured) deals get the lowest rates.
Depending on your location, you may get a 2.44%.

Also be careful with some toxic products that come with very punitive penalties.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1306 posts
727 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Any of those rates posted there can be obtained through a broker here too. Pay attention to the details that people often forget to mention.. for example, the fact that the majority of the rates listed there are for high ratio (insured deals where you have less than 20% for down payment) and some of them have a very punitive penalty formula such as 3% of the entire balance.
If you are looking for a great deal, you can find in this thread a LOT of info about real rates, that apply to your situation, not rates that may sometimes be promoted in a way to appear more attractive than others.
Apr 21, 2006
99 posts
6 upvotes
Oakville
Where to find the best re-finanace rates?
We currently own a home and have to re-finance about $150k - currently $350k left on the mortage.
Are best rates posted the same as re-finance rates? if not, where to find the best re-finance rates fixed 5 year?
Mar 20, 2017
13 posts
Montreal
cokeman wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:42 pm
Hello there, potential first time condo/home buyer and looking for the best 5 year fixed rate - planning 20% down payment. I was pre-approved with the HSBC 2.35% rate but still confirming if that is a collateral or not (they are slow to talk to). Is the next best thing 2.39% at CanWise?
Is the 2.35 still available as of today? I see 2.49 posted on their website.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

yangpa, valuemortgage