City of Vancouver
Made in China
Apr 21, 2016
137 posts
50 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jul 29th, 2016 6:07 pm
Made in China
Is there a brand that you would recommend over nobis?

For some reason my mom wants a nobis parka.
Nov 6, 2009
26 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know a site that sells the Cartel for cheaper than the retail 900+tax?
May 21, 2012
219 posts
67 upvotes
Markham
Neverhood wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 3:32 am
Does anyone know a site that sells the Cartel for cheaper than the retail 900+tax?
I got my cartel from faded soul for $860~ (+tax)
use "thank_you_10" for 10% off.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
Becks wrote:
Jul 29th, 2016 6:07 pm
Made in China
so higher quality china textile is generally higher quality than Canadian made stuff due to skilled labor they have. we don't have many skilled labor in clothing since the ones we do have left are pretty much all retired and were/are immigrants anyways. We haven't had clothing manufacturing here in a long time, especially high quality items so there's really a big lack of skilled labor

I know people who work with the few clothing manufacturers still in Canada (nobis, CG, OSC etc) and they all tell me there's no skilled labor here and there's shortage of workers, so they have to take in low skilled workers and hope they don't mess up too badly whereas China thanks to their huge base of textile factories and workers, have lots of skilled labor and equipment to make high quality clothing. They of course make low quality stuff too..they can make anything and everything..you just spec it to them.
Jan 14, 2016
31 posts
Waterloo, ON
GrandePike wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 12:18 pm
so higher quality china textile is generally higher quality than Canadian made stuff due to skilled labor they have. we don't have many skilled labor in clothing since the ones we do have left are pretty much all retired and were/are immigrants anyways. We haven't had clothing manufacturing here in a long time, especially high quality items so there's really a big lack of skilled labor

I know people who work with the few clothing manufacturers still in Canada (nobis, CG, OSC etc) and they all tell me there's no skilled labor here and there's shortage of workers, so they have to take in low skilled workers and hope they don't mess up too badly whereas China thanks to their huge base of textile factories and workers, have lots of skilled labor and equipment to make high quality clothing. They of course make low quality stuff too..they can make anything and everything..you just spec it to them.
True, but not only in China but other Asian countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines where there is skilled cheap labour. Of course if you have the contacts to source the right people and get on with clothing business, you can send Canadian material and have it assembled there, think this is what Nobis is doing.
Nov 6, 2009
26 posts
1 upvote
JLY311 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 11:42 am
I got my cartel from faded soul for $860~ (+tax)
use "thank_you_10" for 10% off.
They only got XS and M left :(
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10419 posts
1354 upvotes
City of Vancouver
GrandePike wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 12:18 pm

Then buy a Noobis instead of a Nobis, and save more money. :rolleyes:
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
Becks wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 10:46 pm
Then buy a Noobis instead of a Nobis, and save more money. :rolleyes:
I don't have to pay for Canadian nobis or cg so I get those

Do you really think Canada can compare to China in quality for clothing? It's not even close, they have much better highly skilled workers in textiles than we do and not to mention much shorter lead time to change seasons stock

Have you ever or even know of multinational clothing manufacturing? Have you even ever visited a clothing factory in Canada let alone abroad?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2848 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think ALL MiC stuff is bad.
My RRL Officer Chinos are one of the best pants I own and they are made in China.
My Nanamica gortex trench is Made in China and again the quality is top notch. In fact a majority of their line is produced in China. I've seen some pieces in person and I wouldn't hesitate on buying them despite the MiC...

I agree most things made in China is probably poor in quality however some are probably up there with stuff that is made in Canada and the US. With China being such a large producers of clothing I am positive there are good and bad manufactures.

The only thing I would stay away from are shoes from China. I haven't really seen a good pair before.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6008 posts
605 upvotes
T dot 6
My Nobis Barry says made in Canada. Were they made in Canada at one point and then when they got more popular moved manufacturing to China?
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44079 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto
Neverhood wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 3:32 am
ygpm!
Jaytee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 12:33 pm
My Nobis Barry says made in Canada. Were they made in Canada at one point and then when they got more popular moved manufacturing to China?
At one point all Nobis jackets were made in Canada. Majority moved to China except for the Barry, Luna, and Rosco. I think those models moved to China starting last year which is later than the rest of the jackets.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 1:08 pm

At one point all Nobis jackets were made in Canada. Majority moved to China except for the Barry, Luna, and Rosco. I think those models moved to China starting last year which is later than the rest of the jackets.
Cartel is still made in Canada...or they're making some cartels here right now still

They can't find enough qualified workers here to scale up and they can't charge as high as day cg who poaches a lot of workers too since they're still a Canada only shop for down jackets
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel