Official RFD Photography FAQ

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2014 1:30 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2007
227 posts
18 upvotes
Has anyone purchased from Galaxy Camera before? I am currently watching the DSLR market and am having a really hard time deciding which mid-level DSLR camera and lense combo to start with (50D, 60D, D90, wait out the D90 replacement, ect). Despite being a touch out of my desired price range I am thinking of going straight to the 7D with the 15-85 lense, and galaxy has the best combo price I've seen by far (listed through e-bay). They look to have a store front as opposed to being a strictly online retailer, so I assume they are quite reputable.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
RatherBePerfin' wrote:
Sep 5th, 2010 12:14 pm
Has anyone purchased from Galaxy Camera before? I am currently watching the DSLR market and am having a really hard time deciding which mid-level DSLR camera and lense combo to start with (50D, 60D, D90, wait out the D90 replacement, ect). Despite being a touch out of my desired price range I am thinking of going straight to the 7D with the 15-85 lense, and galaxy has the best combo price I've seen by far (listed through e-bay). They look to have a store front as opposed to being a strictly online retailer, so I assume they are quite reputable.

My friend got some stuff from them through their Ottawa store front. Nice people or so I remember.

If you are in AB, you can check out http://www.mcbaincamera.com/ as they do price match and just makes more sense :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
CJ TXB wrote:
Dec 30th, 2010 1:14 am
I'd also consider adding deviant art to the list of free sites. It's not great for mass uploading (like flickr) but there's no limit to how much you can upload (as far as I know)

Added but with a note ;)
Feb 28, 2011
410 posts
294 upvotes
Hi. A DSLR newbie here. I just had an impulse buy of Canon T3 with 18-55IS @ Best Buy for 549+taxes. Is it a good buy? And is it a good camera for beginners? Or should I return and look for something else?
Haven't even opened the box yet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
pvp wrote:
May 6th, 2011 9:05 am
Hi. A DSLR newbie here. I just had an impulse buy of Canon T3 with 18-55IS @ Best Buy for 549+taxes. Is it a good buy? And is it a good camera for beginners? Or should I return and look for something else?
Haven't even opened the box yet.

For pricing, there's a thread on the Hot Deals forum that should give you an indication of the current deals/prices.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dslr-cam ... ad-976343/

It's Canon's entry level dSLR so it's aim at beginners. I don't know your skill level nor your interest level so it's hard to gauge. I say give it a try and see. If you truly enjoy photography, it should be easy to pick up as all the new dSLR are pretty good.
Feb 28, 2011
410 posts
294 upvotes
TenzoR wrote:
May 6th, 2011 9:13 am
For pricing, there's a thread on the Hot Deals forum that should give you an indication of the current deals/prices.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dslr-cam ... ad-976343/

It's Canon's entry level dSLR so it's aim at beginners. I don't know your skill level nor your interest level so it's hard to gauge. I say give it a try and see. If you truly enjoy photography, it should be easy to pick up as all the new dSLR are pretty good.

Thanks for the reply. I am a total newbie with SLR. Only used basic point and shoot before. But have always been interested in photography and would like to start with DSLR now. I am not sure whether to keep this one (T3) @ 549 or get T1i @ 100 bucks more.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
pvp wrote:
May 6th, 2011 11:32 pm
Thanks for the reply. I am a total newbie with SLR. Only used basic point and shoot before. But have always been interested in photography and would like to start with DSLR now. I am not sure whether to keep this one (T3) @ 549 or get T1i @ 100 bucks more.

Do a search on the forum and I'm sure there are a dozen similar thread. Honestly, it really depends on your needs/wants. Most modern dslr perform pretty much the same, the pricier ones will no doubt have features that justify their prices but for now my suggestion would be just get something that will get you into this hobby. Learn the fundamentals and go from there. After a while, you should know what you want/need. Buying something futureproof isn't realistic as new dslr comes out every year with new and better feature sets.
Dec 24, 2005
523 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
haha, i just realized this amazing thread. :D Thanks, saw some of the links that talks about techniques. Awesome, I'm just beginning to do photography :D
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
joker32 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2011 4:23 pm
haha, i just realized this amazing thread. :D Thanks, saw some of the links that talks about techniques. Awesome, I'm just beginning to do photography :D

Everyone is learning and I'm still learning. It's a never ending process to get that perfect shot.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4282 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
hey I'm pretty sure this has been already answered but I really don't have time to sift through endless threads and posts to find the answer, which has probably been listed numerous times.

I was wondering what's the best setting to take a pic where for the most part the scenery is dark but the subject is in light ie WWE/UFC shows where for the most part it's dark in the areas around the ring, but there's a significant amount of light on the ring and the performers (subject). I was in a similar situation at nuit blanche where it was dark but I was in a spotlight and we had difficulties taking that perfect shot. So how do you do that perfect shot within those settings?

my cam is a Samsung point and shoot, 4.9-24.5mm 1:3.5-5.9 27 mm, 12.2 MP, 5x optical zoom
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
glover78 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2011 12:14 am
hey I'm pretty sure this has been already answered but I really don't have time to sift through endless threads and posts to find the answer, which has probably been listed numerous times.

I was wondering what's the best setting to take a pic where for the most part the scenery is dark but the subject is in light ie WWE/UFC shows where for the most part it's dark in the areas around the ring, but there's a significant amount of light on the ring and the performers (subject). I was in a similar situation at nuit blanche where it was dark but I was in a spotlight and we had difficulties taking that perfect shot. So how do you do that perfect shot within those settings?

my cam is a Samsung point and shoot, 4.9-24.5mm 1:3.5-5.9 27 mm, 12.2 MP, 5x optical zoom
I don't have any first hand experience but you should do a google search on ufc (or even concert) photography tips. This will give you an idea of how to setup your camera.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1166 posts
93 upvotes
No 500px.com in the list of online album sites? Gotta support the Canadian guys! :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
Astin wrote:
Feb 17th, 2012 3:38 pm
No 500px.com in the list of online album sites? Gotta support the Canadian guys! :)

Thanks, I've updated the list.

The list will grow as long as poster contribute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)