None
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3086 posts
342 upvotes
Torana
TenzoR wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 11:06 pm
Not really sure where to put that under, suggestion?
Maybe make a heading called "Online forums" or put it under the clubs section?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
Aggy wrote:
Mar 26th, 2013 3:53 pm
Maybe make a heading called "Online forums" or put it under the clubs section?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've put it under the club section for now until something else similar shows up.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
2479 posts
826 upvotes
Hey everyone, before I make a thread, can I get a recommendation for my mom?

She wants a camera that takes good pictures. Entry level budget. Probably no dslr just need a solid point and shoot thin camera style.

What can you recommend? Don't need a million features just solid image quality. Only thing she said she wanted is a capable zoom meaning as much optical zoom as possible would be an important point.

I know next to nothing about cameras so all help is appreciated with finding a decent model!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2702 posts
19 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote:
May 23rd, 2014 11:30 am

She wants a camera that takes good pictures. Entry level budget. Probably no dslr just need a solid point and shoot thin camera style.

What can you recommend? Don't need a million features just solid image quality. Only thing she said she wanted is a capable zoom meaning as much optical zoom as possible would be an important point.

I know next to nothing about cameras so all help is appreciated with finding a decent model!
I'd say take her to a camera store or walmart and let her handle a few, I like canon for the point and shoot style. Shockproof and waterproof are handy but a bit bigger and heavier.

Pick a budget too but hard to say what she really wants if she hasn't had one before.
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3086 posts
342 upvotes
Torana
CoolDudeClan wrote:
May 23rd, 2014 11:30 am

Solid image quality?

Canon S120...s110 was cheap not too long ago.

Rx100 mii. ..Might be able to find a cheap mi now that miii is coming.

Fuji xf1.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
2479 posts
826 upvotes
blackhawk wrote:
May 23rd, 2014 12:07 pm
I'd say take her to a camera store or walmart and let her handle a few, I like canon for the point and shoot style. Shockproof and waterproof are handy but a bit bigger and heavier.

Pick a budget too but hard to say what she really wants if she hasn't had one before.
Budget is around $300. Not looking for anything too crazy.

Aggy wrote:
May 23rd, 2014 12:46 pm
Solid image quality?

Canon S120...s110 was cheap not too long ago.

Rx100 mii. ..Might be able to find a cheap mi now that miii is coming.

Fuji xf1.
rx100 is out of my price range. :( Looks like a good camera but not for my mom. Shes coming from a really bad camera so anything decent is an improvement.

I'll look into the other two, thanks :) I started a thread so if you're willing check that out I would appreciate it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2094 posts
936 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey guys, when buying a UV filter, is it recommended to pay up for quality one like B+W? I'm going to Tanzania and it's going to be quite dusty so I was going to buy a UV filter, or would a Kenko suffice?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1595 posts
145 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2014 12:52 pm
Hey guys, when buying a UV filter, is it recommended to pay up for quality one like B+W? I'm going to Tanzania and it's going to be quite dusty so I was going to buy a UV filter, or would a Kenko suffice?
b+w would be easier to clean.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
My Flickr
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
412 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Jermyzy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2014 12:52 pm
I swear and live by filters ONLY from B+W. Those Germans sure knows how to make good filters. They're made of metal so they don't crumple easily - unlike certain other brands which use aluminium.

When I worked at Vistek Mississauga, a customer brought in his Canon L lens with a crumpled filter. The threads were crushed and he needed it to be removed. We didn't have the means to do it so we had to refer him to Canon. He would later come back and told us it was $200 for service from Canon to remove it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1164 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
inzite wrote:
Aug 29th, 2014 12:59 pm
b+w would be easier to clean.
Hoya recently came up with non stick/dirt filters.
http://www.slrlounge.com/new-hoya-evo-f ... t-extreme/
They should already be in retail now. Check those out.
CSAgent wrote:I swear and live by filters ONLY from B+W. Those Germans sure knows how to make good filters. They're made of metal so they don't crumple easily - unlike certain other brands which use aluminium.

When I worked at Vistek Mississauga, a customer brought in his Canon L lens with a crumpled filter. The threads were crushed and he needed it to be removed. We didn't have the means to do it so we had to refer him to Canon. He would later come back and told us it was $200 for service from Canon to remove it.
Most Canon L lenses have replacable filter rings. Unlike Nikon which doesn't sell any replacement parts anymore, the Canon part for example for 24-70 MK1 sells around $50 on ebay.
Very easy to replace. Remove 3 screws on the barrel only (without even touching the front element).
Next time if you have a customer with the same problem, refer me. I can do cheaper ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
412 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
dslrnewb wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2014 5:38 pm

Most Canon L lenses have replacable filter rings. Unlike Nikon which doesn't sell any replacement parts anymore, the Canon part for example for 24-70 MK1 sells around $50 on ebay.
Very easy to replace. Remove 3 screws on the barrel only (without even touching the front element).
Next time if you have a customer with the same problem, refer me. I can do cheaper ;)
Nice!

I stopped working at Vistek 5+ years ago though - but good to know nevertheless!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2094 posts
936 upvotes
Vancouver
Quick question, I've been playing around with my t3i for a week now. Still trying to get a hold on the basics as it's my first DSLR. So I get most of my photos with the target in focus and background blurred, but is there any way for me to take P&S-style photos where everything both foreground/background is sharp? It would be mostly for tourist photos (e.g. when you're trying to take photo of someone with say a statue behind them). The closest I can get is when I adjust the aperture to a higher number, but I have to hold the camera super still as the shutter takes a lot time to take the photo. Thanks!
Aug 1, 2010
691 posts
258 upvotes
Montreal
Jermyzy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2014 12:57 pm
Quick question, I've been playing around with my t3i for a week now. Still trying to get a hold on the basics as it's my first DSLR. So I get most of my photos with the target in focus and background blurred, but is there any way for me to take P&S-style photos where everything both foreground/background is sharp? It would be mostly for tourist photos (e.g. when you're trying to take photo of someone with say a statue behind them). The closest I can get is when I adjust the aperture to a higher number, but I have to hold the camera super still as the shutter takes a lot time to take the photo. Thanks!
Shooting wider (17mm instead of 50mm) and standing further away from subject also diminishes the background blur.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram