• Nov 28th, 2019 3:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2723 posts
37 upvotes
Eastern and NW Ontar…
CoolDudeClan wrote: Hey everyone, before I make a thread, can I get a recommendation for my mom?

She wants a camera that takes good pictures. Entry level budget. Probably no dslr just need a solid point and shoot thin camera style.

What can you recommend? Don't need a million features just solid image quality. Only thing she said she wanted is a capable zoom meaning as much optical zoom as possible would be an important point.

I know next to nothing about cameras so all help is appreciated with finding a decent model!
I'd say take her to a camera store or walmart and let her handle a few, I like canon for the point and shoot style. Shockproof and waterproof are handy but a bit bigger and heavier.

Pick a budget too but hard to say what she really wants if she hasn't had one before.
Dell Alienware Aurora R8
Asus ROG 17"
Ipad Air 2
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5832 posts
1676 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Hey everyone, before I make a thread, can I get a recommendation for my mom?

She wants a camera that takes good pictures. Entry level budget. Probably no dslr just need a solid point and shoot thin camera style.

What can you recommend? Don't need a million features just solid image quality. Only thing she said she wanted is a capable zoom meaning as much optical zoom as possible would be an important point.

I know next to nothing about cameras so all help is appreciated with finding a decent model!
Solid image quality?

Canon S120...s110 was cheap not too long ago.

Rx100 mii. ..Might be able to find a cheap mi now that miii is coming.

Fuji xf1.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3951 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9312 posts
6334 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey guys, when buying a UV filter, is it recommended to pay up for quality one like B+W? I'm going to Tanzania and it's going to be quite dusty so I was going to buy a UV filter, or would a Kenko suffice?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1832 posts
360 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote: Hey guys, when buying a UV filter, is it recommended to pay up for quality one like B+W? I'm going to Tanzania and it's going to be quite dusty so I was going to buy a UV filter, or would a Kenko suffice?
b+w would be easier to clean.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Jermyzy wrote: Hey guys, when buying a UV filter, is it recommended to pay up for quality one like B+W? I'm going to Tanzania and it's going to be quite dusty so I was going to buy a UV filter, or would a Kenko suffice?
I swear and live by filters ONLY from B+W. Those Germans sure knows how to make good filters. They're made of metal so they don't crumple easily - unlike certain other brands which use aluminium.

When I worked at Vistek Mississauga, a customer brought in his Canon L lens with a crumpled filter. The threads were crushed and he needed it to be removed. We didn't have the means to do it so we had to refer him to Canon. He would later come back and told us it was $200 for service from Canon to remove it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1166 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
inzite wrote: b+w would be easier to clean.
Hoya recently came up with non stick/dirt filters.
http://www.slrlounge.com/new-hoya-evo-f ... t-extreme/
They should already be in retail now. Check those out.
CSAgent wrote:I swear and live by filters ONLY from B+W. Those Germans sure knows how to make good filters. They're made of metal so they don't crumple easily - unlike certain other brands which use aluminium.

When I worked at Vistek Mississauga, a customer brought in his Canon L lens with a crumpled filter. The threads were crushed and he needed it to be removed. We didn't have the means to do it so we had to refer him to Canon. He would later come back and told us it was $200 for service from Canon to remove it.
Most Canon L lenses have replacable filter rings. Unlike Nikon which doesn't sell any replacement parts anymore, the Canon part for example for 24-70 MK1 sells around $50 on ebay.
Very easy to replace. Remove 3 screws on the barrel only (without even touching the front element).
Next time if you have a customer with the same problem, refer me. I can do cheaper ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
dslrnewb wrote:
Most Canon L lenses have replacable filter rings. Unlike Nikon which doesn't sell any replacement parts anymore, the Canon part for example for 24-70 MK1 sells around $50 on ebay.
Very easy to replace. Remove 3 screws on the barrel only (without even touching the front element).
Next time if you have a customer with the same problem, refer me. I can do cheaper ;)
Nice!

I stopped working at Vistek 5+ years ago though - but good to know nevertheless!
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9312 posts
6334 upvotes
Vancouver
Quick question, I've been playing around with my t3i for a week now. Still trying to get a hold on the basics as it's my first DSLR. So I get most of my photos with the target in focus and background blurred, but is there any way for me to take P&S-style photos where everything both foreground/background is sharp? It would be mostly for tourist photos (e.g. when you're trying to take photo of someone with say a statue behind them). The closest I can get is when I adjust the aperture to a higher number, but I have to hold the camera super still as the shutter takes a lot time to take the photo. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1586 posts
1597 upvotes
Montreal
Jermyzy wrote: Quick question, I've been playing around with my t3i for a week now. Still trying to get a hold on the basics as it's my first DSLR. So I get most of my photos with the target in focus and background blurred, but is there any way for me to take P&S-style photos where everything both foreground/background is sharp? It would be mostly for tourist photos (e.g. when you're trying to take photo of someone with say a statue behind them). The closest I can get is when I adjust the aperture to a higher number, but I have to hold the camera super still as the shutter takes a lot time to take the photo. Thanks!
Shooting wider (17mm instead of 50mm) and standing further away from subject also diminishes the background blur.
Apr 17, 2013
921 posts
153 upvotes
Gta
Hello everyone.

I want to print out a picture but I have no idea where to go. I did a quick search and it seems walmart isn't ideal. What are some local places I can go to get my picture printed from my digital camera? I also don't mind getting it done online if I have to
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
Meditech82 wrote: Hello everyone.

I want to print out a picture but I have no idea where to go. I did a quick search and it seems walmart isn't ideal. What are some local places I can go to get my picture printed from my digital camera? I also don't mind getting it done online if I have to
Many people like Costco. I've always used Blacks personally. I'd wait for one of their deals and stock on prints. IIRC, I believe many places will allow you to test print one for free to check their quality.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9312 posts
6334 upvotes
Vancouver
Anybody have issues recording video on a t3i? When I brought my t3i on my safari and tried to record video, the buffer meter kept appearing and would automatically stop recording after 4 or 5 seconds. This would happen sporadically, sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I googled and it appears to be a common problem and they recommend upgrading to a faster card, but I'm already using a Sandisk Extreme. Sucks, I missed out a few video opportunities on my trip...any other suggestions how to fix this?
Sep 7, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
Anyone heard anything about any "Authorized" Canadian sellers having good deals on the 5D Mark IV Body Only this Black Friday to Cyber Monday?

Thanks!

Edit: Wow I just necro'd the hell out of this FAQ. lol
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Looking to pick up an SD card for my wife's camera, nothing special just a Nikon p900 P&S. Looking on Amazon (willing to chance that out). Is this considered a decent card?

SanDisk Extreme Pro. I've seen larger SD ultra's for cheaper but she doesn't need a 128gb card.

Is there something better out there for around the same price that is at least 32 gb's?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1095 posts
623 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: Looking to pick up an SD card for my wife's camera, nothing special just a Nikon p900 P&S. Looking on Amazon (willing to chance that out). Is this considered a decent card?

SanDisk Extreme Pro. I've seen larger SD ultra's for cheaper but she doesn't need a 128gb card.

Is there something better out there for around the same price that is at least 32 gb's?
Given that this camera doesn't shoot RAW or 4K videos and assuming that your wife is not doing fast burst-mode shots (which typically require fast cards), you'd be fine with a cheaper card like this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sandisk-Memory-St ... r=1-9&th=1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)