Personal Finance

Official RFD thread for High Interest Savings Accounts (See Thread Summary for Updates)

Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4190 posts
5288 upvotes
on the links!
leocleoc wrote: I agree with Bylo ... this is exactly what happened to me when I called and confirmed with the agent. Email received within an hour.
My email showed up 24hrs later, didn't need to talk to a rep.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
4018 posts
4409 upvotes
GTA
Sauerkraut wrote: My email showed up 24hrs later, didn't need to talk to a rep.
Can also confirm that my household members received their emails in approximately 1 to 1.5 days from sign up to the Simplii offer.
Jul 22, 2015
797 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
EQ Bank has dropped their rate from 1.7% to 1.5%

"We wanted to let you know that on Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020, the interest rate for the Savings Plus Account will change from 1.70% to 1.50%.*

We understand that getting the most value for your money is a priority, and our commitment to offering a high interest rate hasn’t changed in the last six months, despite growing economic pressures—an interest rate that’s not just for new customers, but for ALL customers on ALL of their money.

We’re proud of that, and while we would always like to avoid lowering our interest rate, sometimes it’s necessary because of the relationship between savings account rates (i.e. growth rates) and lending rates.

Our new rate will continue to give you earnings that make a difference—an ‘up to 30x** more interest than other banks’ kind of difference—and remember, you can still make as many free transactions as you like, with no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements to worry about."
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1470 posts
1294 upvotes
Toronto
Acheewawa wrote: EQ Bank has dropped their rate from 1.7% to 1.5%

"We wanted to let you know that on Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020, the interest rate for the Savings Plus Account will change from 1.70% to 1.50%.*

We understand that getting the most value for your money is a priority, and our commitment to offering a high interest rate hasn’t changed in the last six months, despite growing economic pressures—an interest rate that’s not just for new customers, but for ALL customers on ALL of their money.

We’re proud of that, and while we would always like to avoid lowering our interest rate, sometimes it’s necessary because of the relationship between savings account rates (i.e. growth rates) and lending rates.

Our new rate will continue to give you earnings that make a difference—an ‘up to 30x** more interest than other banks’ kind of difference—and remember, you can still make as many free transactions as you like, with no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements to worry about."

wow! that simplii offer came just on time!
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pererac wrote: wow! that simplii offer came just on time!
yup.. somewhere to move .. until March 31.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Updated October 6, 2020
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1470 posts
1294 upvotes
Toronto
Might be a Tangerine offer out there.....details to follow
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pererac wrote: Might be a Tangerine offer out there.....details to follow
most people today got TING's 2.00% on new deposits out to Feb.28,2021 ... up to $1M.
Jan 10, 2006
878 posts
882 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote: most people today got TING's 2.00% on new deposits out to Feb.28,2021 ... up to $1M.
Nothing here. :( And I prepared by moving out all funds since my last 5-month promo ended a few days ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Updated again. Either today Oct 8 or Oct 9 the following changes are happening

Hubert down to 1.40
Oaken down to 1.25
Accelerate down to 1.30

All have been reflected as of today (some take effect tomorrow)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Alligatorclip wrote: Motive down to 1.55%
Oh No! But not surprising seeing as everyone else is lowering rates too ... Motive was my go-to ... when @ 1.75% > EQ's 1.70% .... did you get an email??
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
905P4N6 wrote: Oh No! But not surprising seeing as everyone else is lowering rates too ... Motive was my go-to ... when @ 1.75% > EQ's 1.70% .... did you get an email??
EQ is at 1.50 %
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4472 upvotes
West
Is the CT 1.8% + 0.2% for CTWE cardholders still active? I can't find anything about that online on their (horrible) website.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Is the CT 1.8% + 0.2% for CTWE cardholders still active? I can't find anything about that online on their (horrible) website.
I believe certain conditions had to be met by 30SEP2020 in order to qualify so the promo is effectively over for new signups.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
bylo wrote: Thanks. I added [Manulife Bank] Earn 2.15% for 4 months when you open an Advantage Account to the Short Term offers in the Thread Summary.
Isn't that on the new money only ... (Manulife's new offer) ... and kinda chit if you had some money there recently (via another promo etc).

By the way ... I believe this 2.15% offer of theirs has a Maximum deposit (for the promo sake) - 50K (if you open the account on your own) ... and 250K if you go through their advisor and (s)he gives you the promo link.

Probably if you have the promo link - you can still get the higher maximum ... but could be risky.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Darkman wrote: Isn't that on the new money only ... (Manulife's new offer) ... and kinda chit if you had some money there recently (via another promo etc).
No. New account, not necessarily new money.
By the way ... I believe this 2.15% offer of theirs has a Maximum deposit (for the promo sake) - 50K (if you open the account on your own) ... and 250K if you go through their advisor and (s)he gives you the promo link.
No, not if you already have an account with Manulife.

Probably if you have the promo link - you can still get the higher maximum ... but could be risky.

For proof (as opposed to speculation) see this post in [Manulife Bank] Earn 2.15% for 4 months when you open an Advantage Account
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
bylo wrote: No. New account, not necessarily new money.

For proof (as opposed to speculation) see this post in [Manulife Bank] Earn 2.15% for 4 months when you open an Advantage Account
Thanks ... I'll look into that a bit later ... -- my money is earning 2.5% at TING till Nov 4.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)