Personal Finance

The Official RFD thread for Savings Accounts! (Updated as of 04/15/2018)

Jun 23, 2017
389 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
May 28th, 2018 7:33 am
Requires chq account to enable this, or it's a certain type of savings account?
You don't need to have an RBC Chequing account. I just happen to have one because I used to have a Mortgage with them. This chequing account has a $4 monthly fee which I get waived because I also have an RBC credit card and a TFSA with RBC.

They offered me this HighInterest eSavings @ 2.5% till August 15, unsolicited.
Jun 27, 2012
750 posts
65 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
The day brick and mortar banks will ever be able to compete with virtual banks is the day pigs fly.
May 8, 2009
5419 posts
1892 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
redflagguy2u wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 10:29 am
The day brick and mortar banks will ever be able to compete with virtual banks is the day pigs fly.
It's different. TD had 2.3% promo on its savings account with minimum $10k balance. RBC seems to offer 2.5% right now but I didn't get that offer. Credit unions are brick and mortar, but seem to blow the big five out of the water. Nobody beats big five plus AmEx for travel cards. Cashback cards, OTOH, seem to be a whole different game (Rogers & Meridian CU are in the top tier).

It's like going to a buffet. Pick and choose what you want from each FI Smiling Face With Sunglasses
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5416 posts
1577 upvotes
Haven't received any interest payment from Ideal savings for the month of May, anyone else?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2069 posts
832 upvotes
Winnipeg
WHO wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 1:52 pm
Haven't received any interest payment from Ideal savings for the month of May, anyone else?
They sent an email on Friday saying it was a software glitch and they would backdate all the interest once fixed. As they are closed on weekends... I assume they are working on it today.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5416 posts
1577 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 2:31 pm
They sent an email on Friday saying it was a software glitch and they would backdate all the interest once fixed. As they are closed on weekends... I assume they are working on it today.
Thanks, I didn't get any email about the glitch, but got the interest payment Today. All set.
Jun 3, 2018
1 posts
905P4N6 wrote:
May 28th, 2018 10:14 am
You don't need to have an RBC Chequing account. I just happen to have one because I used to have a Mortgage with them. This chequing account has a $4 monthly fee which I get waived because I also have an RBC credit card and a TFSA with RBC.

They offered me this HighInterest eSavings @ 2.5% till August 15, unsolicited.

Have you received the bonus interest yet ? Nothing at my end, I did receive their bonus interest offer email, it says the bonus interest is paid on the second business day of the following month. Got paid the regular interest only, no bonus interest yet.

Update: Bonus interest has materialised on the third business day after all.
Last edited by jupiter99 on Jun 4th, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 23, 2017
389 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jupiter99 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 7:10 pm
Have you received the bonus interest yet ? Nothing at my end, I did receive their bonus interest offer email, it says the bonus interest is paid on the second business day of the following month. Got paid the regular interest only, no bonus interest yet.

Update: Bonus interest has materialised on the third business day after all.
confirmed.
I see a line for "Deposit interest" and another line for "Bonus deposit interest"
May 8, 2009
5419 posts
1892 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
sonjeffnguyen wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 3:53 pm
Tangerine bumped new account rate to 2.75% for 6 months.
Meridian is matching it but for four months (new accounts).

Sadly the best promotional HISA rate we can get for now.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Dec 27, 2006
226 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't see anything on the Meridian website about its 2.75% promotional rate. Do you have a link? Thanks!
May 8, 2009
5419 posts
1892 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Jobu wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 12:56 pm
I can't see anything on the Meridian website about its 2.75% promotional rate. Do you have a link? Thanks!
Can't find it anymore. Looks like Meridian dropped it. Now waiting for a new deal.
Jun 23, 2017
389 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sonjeffnguyen wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 3:53 pm
Tangerine bumped new account rate to 2.75% for 6 months.
Excellent! ... I'm still hoping for that elusive lottery win!
Sep 3, 2012
269 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Goggle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:00 pm
Sorry first time poster in this section.
Are all the mentioned saving banks on OP first page are TFSA accounts?

I need a recommendation on a good rate for TFSA saving account. Thanks

Search for TFSA thread instead, same OP Face Savouring Delicious Food
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3542 posts
944 upvotes
on the links
MAXA Financial increased its savings rate to 2.25%. I believe it's the first one since the BOC announcement on Wed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)