Personal Finance

The Official RFD thread for Savings Accounts! (Updated 08/03/2018)

Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2171 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
Mcklain wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 8:12 am
Where are you seeing RBC 3.15%? Cant find anything on that promo...
Registration seems to be over but had been ongoing for nearly 2 months. 6 month promo duration and seems to adjust to base rate modifications, hence 3% became 3.15%. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rbc-3-in ... t-2220375/
Never ended up bothering with it because had better options(HSBC 3.5%, Simplii 3.15%, Tang 3.15%).

CIBC at 3% seems like your best bet if unable to get more than 2.5% at Tang. I was on 3% with them and account was empty due to better options elsewhere, special dept called me out of the blue to inquire why I wasn’t using their “great rate” and matched Simplii. Didn’t move the Simplii money but am making use of the additional room at 3.15% because Simplii promo is capped at only 500k, Tang’s is 1000k.

Even without use of a partner a diligent saver could have several million at 3% today without straying from the big 5, irrespective of provincial residence.
Jul 25, 2008
835 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa
Can OP update the rates on page 1.
thx
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2223 posts
1027 upvotes
Winnipeg
cf7777 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:40 am
Can OP update the rates on page 1.
thx
I did contact via private message @angel_wing0 asking if I could do that. Waiting for their response
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
5158 posts
1360 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:45 am
I did contact via private message @angel_wing0 asking if I could do that. Waiting for their response
How would YOU be able to do that?

That's her post ... and only someone with Moderator's "power" can edit someone else's post. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2223 posts
1027 upvotes
Winnipeg
Darkman wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:22 pm
How would YOU be able to do that?

That's her post ... and only someone with Moderator's "power" can edit someone else's post. :)
I want permission to start a new thread...and they would Close this one.. And I'll update the new one. I've been on here for 10 years (as of 2 weeks from now) I'm not going anywhere. Lol
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14046 posts
6455 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Shawguy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:45 am
Strange that @[angel_wing0
• last updated the OP in March
• had this thread nominated for "one of the most helpful threads in RFD" so clearly something many people find useful
• is a moderator
• has been posting on RFD as recently as a few minutes ago.

That's not a very good example for a moderator to make, IMNSHO.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1073 posts
21 upvotes
Called tangerine and told them my bank was offering a better rate and they gave me 3% for 6 months. Better than nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8340 posts
9147 upvotes
GT-EH
Hubert just dropped their HISA rate back down to 2.30%... Smiling Face With Horns
https://www.happysavings.ca/rates/

Now I'm forced to move all my money back to Tang. lol
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Jun 23, 2017
442 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
martydxb wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:28 am
Came in here to post this. I moved all the funds to EQ bank.
good choice if you're not into moving funds around to chase temporary better interest rates.
Jun 23, 2017
442 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shawguy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:27 pm
I want permission to start a new thread...and they would Close this one.. And I'll update the new one. I've been on here for 10 years (as of 2 weeks from now) I'm not going anywhere. Lol
The super-usefulness of a thread posting and ranking latest and greatest savings interest rates is (was) based on timely input and updating.

If this is no longer updated in a timely manner, I would support thanking angel_wing0 very muchly for services .. then have a new OP accept the baton and open a new thread to be updated in a timely manner for all to enjoy!
Sep 6, 2018
42 posts
36 upvotes
martydxb wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:28 am
Came in here to post this. I moved all the funds to EQ bank.
905P4N6 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:30 am
good choice if you're not into moving funds around to chase temporary better interest rates.
If you're settling for leaving your funds in EQ anyway, you may want to consider Achieva Financial or Motive Financial.

Achieva offers 2.4% (standard ongoing, not a promo) plus they give you $1.00 per month for using paperless, and a $25 referral bonus if you deposit $250 at account opening and don't remove it for 30 days (make sure you sign up with someone's referral key.) I didn't have to chase them down for the bonuses, they were reliably and quickly deposited.

Motive offers 2.8% right now, no referral bonus that I know of, and most people open a chequing account at Motive as well to make transfers easier.

EQ works well as a conduit between my accounts at other institutions, but with all the other options above 2.3% I can't justify leaving my savings there...
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14046 posts
6455 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
905P4N6 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:36 am
The super-usefulness of a thread posting and ranking latest and greatest savings interest rates is (was) based on timely input and updating.

If this is no longer updated in a timely manner, I would support thanking angel_wing0 very muchly for services .. then have a new OP accept the baton and open a new thread to be updated in a timely manner for all to enjoy!
Agreed in general.

I have a related suggestion. It's beome evident that keeping the OP updated is a tedious, thankless job no matter who does it. Moreover there are websites that already perform this function, e.g. RateHub, Canadian High Interest Savings Bank Accounts and Cannex. So perhaps the OP's mandate should change from trying to duplicate what others are already doing to instead posting the links to those sites.

This thread can then remain to let people post announcements of changes in rates. (Or if it's decided to start a new thread then its OP should contain those links.)
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]