Personal Finance

The Official RFD thread for Savings Accounts! (Updated as of 09/20/2017)

[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
35967 posts
3145 upvotes
Markham
Sauerkraut wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:41 am
EQ announced a rate increase to 2.3% (also posted in the EQ thread).
That's great! OP updated.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2106 posts
829 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 8:33 am
That's great! OP updated.
Didn't EQ lose like most of its deposits recently as investors pulled their money out? They're on shaky ground as most of their assets are in lending money out for risky loans. Sure, $100,000 of your cash may be protected by insurance... but in the end, if you have a 6 month process to get the money out if the bank goes belly-up, you've lost money in LOC.

I'd keep the money you put into EQ to money that you don't NEED access to. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but it's worth asking all the same.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10266 posts
3168 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
atomiton wrote:
May 4th, 2017 3:33 pm
Didn't EQ lose like most of its deposits recently as investors pulled their money out?
Actually it was Home Trust (aka Oaken). EQB has seen some loss of HISA money but nowhere near the scale of Home.
They're on shaky ground as most of their assets are in lending money out for risky loans.
That's highly debatable as the other threads that discuss this clearly indicate.
Sure, $100,000 of your cash may be protected by insurance... but in the end, if you have a 6 month process to get the money out if the bank goes belly-up, you've lost money in LOC.
Where is the "6 month process" coming from? CDIC's target is 3 days. There's no reason to believe they can't achieve that, apart from unsubstantiated FUD.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
35967 posts
3145 upvotes
Markham
atomiton wrote:
May 4th, 2017 3:33 pm
Didn't EQ lose like most of its deposits recently as investors pulled their money out? They're on shaky ground as most of their assets are in lending money out for risky loans. Sure, $100,000 of your cash may be protected by insurance... but in the end, if you have a 6 month process to get the money out if the bank goes belly-up, you've lost money in LOC.

I'd keep the money you put into EQ to money that you don't NEED access to. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but it's worth asking all the same.
As bylo said, you mixed EQ up with Oaken/HCG. I am not worried as most of my money is at Tangerine 3% promo atm.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2106 posts
829 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 4:28 pm
As bylo said, you mixed EQ up with Oaken/HCG. I am not worried as most of my money is at Tangerine 3% promo atm.
Thanks. I only quickly heard the news... you're right i was mixed up with Oaken/home trust.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2106 posts
829 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 4th, 2017 3:38 pm
Actually it was Home Trust (aka Oaken). EQB has seen some loss of HISA money but nowhere near the scale of Home.

That's highly debatable as the other threads that discuss this clearly indicate.

Where is the "6 month process" coming from? CDIC's target is 3 days. There's no reason to believe they can't achieve that, apart from unsubstantiated FUD.
It was an example... if a company went bankrupt. I know that it's insured and it's probably pretty safe, but chasing yields... sometimes may not be worth the effort.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10266 posts
3168 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
atomiton wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:17 pm
It was an example... if a company went bankrupt.
1. If it was an example the comment should have been qualified as such.
2. A "company" and a "federally regulated financial institution" are two different things. The latter is regulated by OSFI (et al, e.g. Bank of Canada) and insured by CDIC. These federal agencies do this to help maintain the stability of our financial system, especially in times of uncertainrt as is the case now with Home and even more so if Home has to cease operations. So it makes no sense to suggest that the failure of a FI like Home would proceed at the same snail's pace as an ordinary corporate bankruptcy.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
atomiton wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:17 pm
It was an example... if a company went bankrupt. I know that it's insured and it's probably pretty safe, but chasing yields... sometimes may not be worth the effort.
If a BANK becomes insolvent, the CDIC's target is to have insured money in depositors' hands in 3 business days or less (without any 'claim' action required on the customer's part).
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1760 posts
525 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 7:09 pm
If a BANK becomes insolvent, the CDIC's target is to have insured money in depositors' hands in 3 business days or less (without any 'claim' action required on the customer's part).
Exactly - and here is the link showing that: http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-cdic/resolu ... tools.aspx
(not necessarily posting for you - but for others to help prove your point) :)

"Liquidation and reimbursement of insured deposits:

In certain cases, a failed bank is closed and insured deposits are reimbursed to depositors. The assets of the failed bank are distributed to the bank's depositors and other creditors through a court-supervised liquidation process.

In liquidation, the failed bank ceases to operate, all contracts are terminated and its critical financial services are no longer available, including access to accounts. CDIC automatically and rapidly reimburses insured deposits up to $100,000 (including interest) per insurance category. Depositors do not have to file a claim. CDIC aims to reimburse most accounts within three business days. Due to their complexity, deposits such as trusts and registered accounts could take longer.

This is a tool that would likely only be used in the case of small to medium-size banks, not domestic systemically important banks (D-SIBs)."

-------------------------

In case you are wondering what a "D-SIB" is (Basically RBC, TD, Scotia, BMO, CIBC, National Bank):
http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-cdic/resolu ... ution.aspx
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
80 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
Shawguy wrote:
May 4th, 2017 7:33 pm
Exactly - and here is the link showing that: http://www.cdic.ca/en/about-cdic/resolu ... tools.aspx

In certain cases, a failed bank is closed and insured deposits are reimbursed to depositors. The assets of the failed bank are distributed to the bank's depositors and other creditors through a court-supervised liquidation process.

In liquidation, the failed bank ceases to operate, all contracts are terminated and its critical financial services are no longer available, including access to accounts. CDIC automatically and rapidly reimburses insured deposits up to $100,000 (including interest) per insurance category. Depositors do not have to file a claim. CDIC aims to reimburse most accounts within three business days. Due to their complexity, deposits such as trusts and registered accounts could take longer.

This is a tool that would likely only be used in the case of small to medium-size banks, not domestic systemically important banks (D-SIBs)."

In case you are wondering what a "D-SIB" is (Basically RBC, TD, Scotia, BMO, CIBC, National Bank):
This is very optimistic. It actually says on it's site it will be a immediate payout once they get the correct information or something to that effect. In reality it probably will take weeks and possibly months depending on how the bank kept records. Days if they kept good records that are easily accessible.
I play the video games H2, WC3. I bank with low fee or no fee banks like Implicity. If you got questions ask.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
User230 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 7:54 pm
This is very optimistic. It actually says on it's site it will be a immediate payout once they get the correct information or something to that effect. In reality it probably will take weeks and possibly months depending on how the bank kept records. Days if they kept good records that are easily accessible.
It "actually says on the site" exactly what you just quoted about 3 days. Not "something to that effect".
It was a quote from the CDIC.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jun 15, 2012
778 posts
60 upvotes
MB
Shawguy wrote:
May 4th, 2017 7:33 pm

Not much relief though, if one of the system forming bank goes insolvent, it will take years, and by that time CAD might be worth fraction of its value ( perhaps 1 US cent for 1 CAD ). I know that is highly unlikely to happen, but so thought my dad who lost his life savings in Soviet bank.
---
Hopefully it won't happen.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
ukrainiandude wrote:
May 4th, 2017 8:52 pm
Not much relief though, if one of the system forming bank goes insolvent, it will take years, and by that time CAD might be worth fraction of its value ( perhaps 1 US cent for 1 CAD ). I know that is highly unlikely to happen, but so thought my dad who lost his life savings in Soviet bank.
---
Hopefully it won't happen.
In Soviet Russia... things are different.
Mar 28, 2017
70 posts
15 upvotes
Just got PC 2.5% offer at login screen. Will have to go Tangerine > PC > EQ as promo rates expire.

OP why don't you update EQ thread linking to new non-locked thread?

I like how you can use EQ as almost like a chequing account. Only real downside is no ability to get cash out of ATM, so you need to maintain 2nd account with Tangerine or PC.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2106 posts
829 upvotes
ferniebc wrote:
May 7th, 2017 8:01 pm
Just got PC 2.5% offer at login screen. Will have to go Tangerine > PC > EQ as promo rates expire.

OP why don't you update EQ thread linking to new non-locked thread?

I like how you can use EQ as almost like a chequing account. Only real downside is no ability to get cash out of ATM, so you need to maintain 2nd account with Tangerine or PC.
I just got a targetted 2%... quickly clicked sign up, but didn't read the fine print as to how long it applied for. Anyone know where to find these details?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)