1303 upvotes

Official Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

787 replies
Jul 10, 2013
457 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
is that from a credible source?

Looks like they're really removing the physical home button.
Mar 22, 2013
759 posts
150 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't even mind if the fingerprint is at the back of the phone! But it's gonna be real expensive so that sucks.
iPhone SE 32 GB - Koodo Mobile

$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan
Oct 14, 2015
486 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
3000mah battery on a 5.8" phone is ridiculous. Add on top of that the slowest updates, higher price (100 euro more in Europe), single speaker (not confirmed), glass back, marginal CPU & GPU improvement (just 11% CPU performance increase), similar camera etc., there is no reason to upgrade for S7 and S7 edge users unless something comes up contradicting the leaks. Really disappointing from Samsung.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $42 2GB plan
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1134 posts
172 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Snapdragon 835 is more efficient - uses less power.
Nov 1, 2004
602 posts
60 upvotes
York
SureshA720227 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 7:00 pm
3000mah battery on a 5.8" phone is ridiculous. Add on top of that the slowest updates, higher price (100 euro more in Europe), single speaker (not confirmed), glass back, marginal CPU & GPU improvement (just 11% CPU performance increase), similar camera etc., there is no reason to upgrade for S7 and S7 edge users unless something comes up contradicting the leaks. Really disappointing from Samsung.
The thing is you have to have to have the devices that support new connectivity standards to get to see the full benefit.
Not sure where you get the marginal 11% improvement though. SD 835 is pretty significant upgrade from 820/821
Oct 14, 2015
486 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
touyakouyo wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 11:05 pm
The thing is you have to have to have the devices that support new connectivity standards to get to see the full benefit.
Not sure where you get the marginal 11% improvement though. SD 835 is pretty significant upgrade from 820/821
A lot of have in there. :D
http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/26/this- ... -march-29/
This article mentions about the CPU and GPU and all other stuff. Qualcomm said SD835 is "upto" 27% faster than SD821. This data seems weird to me too. Either they underclocked it or the final retail version will have better performance.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $42 2GB plan
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3944 posts
297 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote:
Its not Samsung's fault regarding the SD 835, they are literally putting in the newest/fastest available at that moment in time, heck LG is supposedly gonna have to use SD 821 because the 835 won't be available when LG wants to lauch the G6
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11599 posts
3538 upvotes
Oakville
SureshA720227 wrote:
there is no reason to upgrade for S7 and S7 edge users unless something comes up contradicting the leaks. Really disappointing from Samsung.
People have practically been saying this exact thing about every new Samsung phone that ever gets announced. Very few phone companies are throwing out gigantic new leaps and bounds every year, because the vast majority of people aren't upgrading their phones every year. Samsung isn't building the S8 trying to entice S7 owners to upgrade (though many will, those who have to have the latest and greatest no matter what), they're trying to entice S5 and S6 owners who haven't bothered upgrading yet. The same can be said about Apple's yearly upgrades as well - if you have the previous year's model, it's unlikely to be a huge upgrade for you to go to the latest and greatest.
Public Mobile
Koodo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4518 posts
1303 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 9:26 am
People have practically been saying this exact thing about every new Samsung phone that ever gets announced. Very few phone companies are throwing out gigantic new leaps and bounds every year, because the vast majority of people aren't upgrading their phones every year. Samsung isn't building the S8 trying to entice S7 owners to upgrade (though many will, those who have to have the latest and greatest no matter what), they're trying to entice S5 and S6 owners who haven't bothered upgrading yet. The same can be said about Apple's yearly upgrades as well - if you have the previous year's model, it's unlikely to be a huge upgrade for you to go to the latest and greatest.
This is especially true now that waterproofing, all-day battery life and good camera specs are common on most flagships. What else do people need?
Mar 22, 2013
759 posts
150 upvotes
Markham
9394 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 9:58 am
This is especially true now that waterproofing, all-day battery life and good camera specs are common on most flagships. What else do people need?
More efficient Soc and thinner phones? Better displays for VR? That's all I could think of at the moment.
iPhone SE 32 GB - Koodo Mobile

$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15994 posts
983 upvotes
Woodbridge
Stop expecting BIG CHANGES it will never happen. It's a business move and very smart at it. Why put all yours eggs in one basket mentality.

This whole it's not worth upgrading, it will never stop because there's anough that wants the latest. *puts hands up. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1422 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 7:02 pm
Stop expecting BIG CHANGES it will never happen. It's a business move and very smart at it. Why put all yours eggs in one basket mentality.

This whole it's not worth upgrading, it will never stop because there's anough that wants the latest. *puts hands up. LOL
What was your upgrade cycle last year?

I went Priv, iPhone 6S Plus, S7E, Note 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel XL

Based on reports of the S8 having the same camera, I might hold out on upgrading. I don't want to give up the unlimited Google Photo Storage.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15994 posts
983 upvotes
Woodbridge
S7 edge, S7, Note 7, OnePlus 3, iPhone 7 Plus*, OnePlus 3, Google Pixel XL, OnePlus 3, LG V20, LG G4* OnePlus 3t*.

*I still own.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)