Official Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 7:42 am
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2648 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
If they add aptx support, I'll get the S8.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12538 posts
4057 upvotes
Oakville
mobifree wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 8:25 pm
Hoping these don't catch fire..
Unlikely. Since they found the problem one imagines they'll work pretty hard at not repeating it.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3832 posts
201 upvotes
Calgary
Looking forward to the next Note, a 5.9" in a Note 4 body would be awesome. Not sure how I feel about the home button though. I expect it to be priced near $1200, anything more and it's a pass for me. Still chugging along with my Note 4, nice to be able to switch battery every day, may have to adjust my habits with the new Note or carry a battery pack again.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
I agree about the Home Button, it just seems like another move to get ahead of Apple.

As for the battery and charging, it hasn't been an issue for me where I needed to have a battery pack with me or charging cables. At work I rare use where it got to a point I told my co-worker to keep it in his locker. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jul 16, 2009
117 posts
18 upvotes
When the internal battery gets shot, you'll need an external battery case or something.

I wonder if there's anyone out there using the note 5 for example, whose a heavy user. I'd like to hear hows the battery life after +2 years.

That's been my main reason for rocking my note 4.

I've had to change my battery once because my oem battery would suddenly go from 30% to 0 in matter of mins or seconds.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8148 posts
1306 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 4:13 pm
I agree about the Home Button, it just seems like another move to get ahead of Apple.

As for the battery and charging, it hasn't been an issue for me where I needed to have a battery pack with me or charging cables. At work I rare use where it got to a point I told my co-worker to keep it in his locker. LOL
So many Android makers have lost the physical button - Samsung is actually a laggard here.

Battery life should be very good but keep in mind - screens are the main burner of power, not processors.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12538 posts
4057 upvotes
Oakville
mikeygt wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 3:51 pm
When the internal battery gets shot, you'll need an external battery case or something.

I wonder if there's anyone out there using the note 5 for example, whose a heavy user. I'd like to hear hows the battery life after +2 years.

That's been my main reason for rocking my note 4.

I've had to change my battery once because my oem battery would suddenly go from 30% to 0 in matter of mins or seconds.
Sadly to say, most people these days don't bother keeping a phone long enough for battery replacement to be an issue.
Public Mobile
Feb 14, 2016
874 posts
276 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 9:41 pm
What was your upgrade cycle last year?

I went Priv, iPhone 6S Plus, S7E, Note 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel XL

Based on reports of the S8 having the same camera, I might hold out on upgrading. I don't want to give up the unlimited Google Photo Storage.
Hmm so s8 will have an awesome top of the line camera that beats all of its competitions out of water, which was in s7? Cool
Mar 22, 2013
902 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
onlinesurfer wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:12 am
that fingerprint reader placement though...
LOL if that is true then it's in a pretty inconvenient place, why Samsung?

Do both S8 variants have the curved edges? I hate it, it's so gimmicky.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2648 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
JIB9022 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:17 am
Hmm so s8 will have an awesome top of the line camera that beats all of its competitions out of water, which was in s7? Cool
Reviewers said the Pixel had the best camera, but some users report the S7 is better.

I find the Pixel a lot better, especially its use of EIS.
Mar 22, 2013
902 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:53 am
Reviewers said the Pixel had the best camera, but some users report the S7 is better.

I had the Pixel XL and now using the S7. I can tell you they both produce similiar stunning photos but S7 is a little better IMO. Also, the pixel camera suffers with auto focus when in low light conditions while the s7's is blazing fast.

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12538 posts
4057 upvotes
Oakville
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:53 am

From a straight numbers perspective, the Pixel is the winner at the moment. But there's more to it than just numbers (see the above mentioned autofocus performance in low light).
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8148 posts
1306 upvotes
myinglin0318 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 10:02 am
I had the Pixel XL and now using the S7. I can tell you they both produce similiar stunning photos but S7 is a little better IMO. Also, the pixel camera suffers with auto focus when in low light conditions while the s7's is blazing fast.
I have heard the S7 camera is better. Also the availability of an SD slot is huge for me as I like to carry all of my music and some movies with me.