Cell Phones

Official Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 4:22 pm
Jan 20, 2010
193 posts
14 upvotes
I think it is a stupid idea to put the finger print on the back, it is so inconvenient. And 3000mah battery looks small, my note 5 has to be charged twice a day with only moderate usage. sigh, these two are deal breaker for me.
Jan 20, 2010
193 posts
14 upvotes
mikeygt wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 3:51 pm
When the internal battery gets shot, you'll need an external battery case or something.

I wonder if there's anyone out there using the note 5 for example, whose a heavy user. I'd like to hear hows the battery life after +2 years.

That's been my main reason for rocking my note 4.

I've had to change my battery once because my oem battery would suddenly go from 30% to 0 in matter of mins or seconds.
I would say the note 5 battery after only 1 year and a half is really bad. It won't last a day unless you only use it as a phone. I have to carry a power bank with me everywhere if I am going to somewhere without a charger. In fact, if the battery life is good, I have zero motivation to upgrade, since I think overall this phone still meets all my need, it is as smooth as the the first day I got it, and the camera is very decent even under today's standard.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7523 posts
1004 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 9:50 am
I think it is a stupid idea to put the finger print on the back, it is so inconvenient. And 3000mah battery looks small, my note 5 has to be charged twice a day with only moderate usage. sigh, these two are deal breaker for me.
Battery may end up surprising you - a much more efficient processor we know is coming and advancements in AMOLED screens could make this a very efficient phone. Have to wait and see.
Oct 14, 2015
397 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whatever bullshit they tell you about efficient processor and display, at the end after you load all the apps, battery will be the same or worse. Small battery is the problem for bad battery life. Look at Xiaomi phones, they have great battery life (Redmi Note 3,4. Mi Mix, Mi Max), also Lenovo with P2 (It packs 5100 mah battery in a 5.5" body and weighs a decent 177g).
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
10756 posts
3164 upvotes
Oakville
SureshA720227 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:15 pm
Whatever bullshit they tell you about efficient processor and display, at the end after you load all the apps, battery will be the same or worse.
incorrect. If you have the same apps installed and a more efficient processor and display, you're going to get better battery life (comparing the same size batteries).
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4308 posts
1026 upvotes
Canada
gamebird wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 9:50 am
I think it is a stupid idea to put the finger print on the back, it is so inconvenient.
That's what I used to think too. But once I actually used a phone with rear fingerprint, I realized it is so ergonomic, natural and quick. Whenever i pick up the phone, my finger was naturally at the fingerprint sensor. I like Sony's side mounted one also

After using a rear fingerprint, front one feels awkward to use. Also front sensor spoils the clean look of a phone, makes the bezel larger and conflicts with stereo speakers
Jan 20, 2010
193 posts
14 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 12:30 pm
That's what I used to think too. But once I actually used a phone with rear fingerprint, I realized it is so ergonomic, natural and quick. Whenever i pick up the phone, my finger was naturally at the fingerprint sensor. I like Sony's side mounted one also

After using a rear fingerprint, front one feels awkward to use. Also front sensor spoils the clean look of a phone, makes the bezel larger and conflicts with stereo speakers
I spent a lot of time playing with my phone when the phone is just lying on my desk. So if they switch the fingerprint sensor to the back, I have to pick it up and drop it down every time I interact with the phone. In addition, when driving, my phone is placed in a holder attached to AC vent, so with a front fingerprint sensor I can unlock it anytime but won't be able to do it if the finger print sensor is in the back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7523 posts
1004 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 4:29 pm
I spent a lot of time playing with my phone when the phone is just lying on my desk. So if they switch the fingerprint sensor to the back, I have to pick it up and drop it down every time I interact with the phone. In addition, when driving, my phone is placed in a holder attached to AC vent, so with a front fingerprint sensor I can unlock it anytime but won't be able to do it if the finger print sensor is in the back.
You realize you can also unlock with a PIN..
Dec 19, 2011
86 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton
The fingerprint sensor on the back should be decent, although I think a little lower and central like the Pixel would be better. They must be thinking the retina scanner can be used instead.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15823 posts
924 upvotes
Woodbridge
I already have a buyer for my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB.

I am ready to preorder this baby!!!
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Oct 14, 2015
397 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Smaller Galaxy S8 specs. Everything is similar except screen and battery size. To me, this is a more sensible choice than the S8+ due to smaller size and lower price. Image downloaded from Technobuffalo.
Images
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel