• May 29th, 2017 3:54 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2947 posts
521 upvotes
Home
kool1 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 9:15 am
You realize you can also unlock with a PIN..
THIS.
A fingerprint sensor at the back all of a sudden makes a life-threatening challenge?
Man, you can also unlock with PIN, password, pattern, your face, your voice, so many choices.
Fingerprint sensor at the back + trusted face + pattern + trusted devices (bluetooth) makes unlocking the screen easier and faster than writing ABC.
Aug 22, 2010
74 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Is it worthwhile to wait for the s8 or would you guys recommend picking up a S7 on the cheap? Currently, prices for the S7 are still high so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm also with Wind (I am open to switching carriers if the right deal comes up) so not sure how exactly that would factor into my decision to purchase.

Appreciate any tips/thoughts.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3445 posts
384 upvotes
Montreal
villaseea wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:54 pm
Is it worthwhile to wait for the s8 or would you guys recommend picking up a S7 on the cheap? Currently, prices for the S7 are still high so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm also with Wind (I am open to switching carriers if the right deal comes up) so not sure how exactly that would factor into my decision to purchase.

If you are somehow geeky and willing to pay a premium for the latest then pick up the S8. Otherwise, sit tight till deals come out on the s7. If the update is incremental, I'd get the better deal.
Zoomer: $36 nationwide + 2GB
Nov 26, 2013
347 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
cn_habs wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:57 pm
If you are somehow geeky and willing to pay a premium for the latest then pick up the S8. Otherwise, sit tight till deals come out on the s7. If the update is incremental, I'd get the better deal.
Don't forget that when the S7 came out, Samsung had some pretty good deals ($100 instant rebate + $200 trade in for a burner phone + 128gb micro sd card) for out-right purchases at Samsung Experience Stores. I don't doubt that they'll take the same approach for the S8.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11240 posts
3333 upvotes
Oakville
ReaperEXE wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 6:49 pm
Don't forget that when the S7 came out, Samsung had some pretty good deals ($100 instant rebate + $200 trade in for a burner phone + 128gb micro sd card) for out-right purchases at Samsung Experience Stores. I don't doubt that they'll take the same approach for the S8.
And likely even more this time around. After the Note fiasco they're gonna be working hard to try to generate some goodwill.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Mar 4, 2016
205 posts
60 upvotes
villaseea wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm also on Wind (now Freedom) and because of their band 66 LTE i'm upgrading from my S7 Edge to the S8 when available. If you don't mind not having LTE (or plan on switching to another carrier) than the S7 will probably be the better option especially when prices come down with the S8 release.
ReaperEXE wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 6:49 pm
If i buy from Samsung directly does it come unlocked then? Or do they ask your carrier and lock it to that carrier? I have an old S4 kicking around I'm hoping I could use for the $200 trade in.

Then hopefully sell my S7 Edge for 4-500
Nov 26, 2013
347 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kontos wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 5:04 pm
If i buy from Samsung directly does it come unlocked then? Or do they ask your carrier and lock it to that carrier? I have an old S4 kicking around I'm hoping I could use for the $200 trade in.

Then hopefully sell my S7 Edge for 4-500
If you buy it outright it's unlocked but it will lock to the first sim card that is put it. However the employee will unlock it then and there. When I purchased it (when I was visiting Vancouver - at the Pacific Centre) the employee used what I believe was a Mobilicity sim card so that there was no carrier bloatware loaded, then used the unlock code. After that I was free to use whatever sim card I wanted. Of course if you buy on contract your phone will be locked to that carrier, even if purchased through the Samsung Store.

I don't plan to get the S8, however I've just sold my gold S7 Edge for $600 on Kijiji. I think that's pretty damn good considering what I paid for it a year ago.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15955 posts
361 upvotes
ReaperEXE wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 10:01 pm
If you buy it outright it's unlocked but it will lock to the first sim card that is put it. However the employee will unlock it then and there. When I purchased it (when I was visiting Vancouver - at the Pacific Centre) the employee used what I believe was a Mobilicity sim card so that there was no carrier bloatware loaded, then used the unlock code. After that I was free to use whatever sim card I wanted. Of course if you buy on contract your phone will be locked to that carrier, even if purchased through the Samsung Store.
That's sweet. I was so sad when I inputted my fido sim and it started downloading crap on the phone.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
574 posts
196 upvotes
Why the screen curved on all 4 sides?? Its like u r getting boxed in
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6234 posts
267 upvotes
GT'eh
so wait the GS8 is smaller than S7 edge, but screen in larger & there's no physical menu button? hmmmm...I don't get it? Me no likey. Will stick with GS7E
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3432 posts
372 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 4:29 pm
I spent a lot of time playing with my phone when the phone is just lying on my desk. So if they switch the fingerprint sensor to the back, I have to pick it up and drop it down every time I interact with the phone. In addition, when driving, my phone is placed in a holder attached to AC vent, so with a front fingerprint sensor I can unlock it anytime but won't be able to do it if the finger print sensor is in the back.
Have you tried Smart Lock? For the back fingerprint sensor on the LG G5, I've set it up so that it doesn't lock at home, or when connected to my car's Bluetooth. Though this works well because of the G5's Knock On ability, which I'm surprised Samsung hasn't borrowed yet.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel