• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2017 11:52 pm
Oct 28, 2006
389 posts
159 upvotes
Alberta
robertz wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:13 pm
Wow. Phone dropped from chair height and the front glass cracked. Samsung protective case and screen protector were installed.

Samsung Store says there are no replacement parts, and could take four weeks to repair. That would be terrible service.

Time to buy something that's at least a little bit robust?
Oh that sucks. I dropped my on first day on tile floor but it survived. Worst drop was from 5ft tall dresser screen first on hardwood floor and not a single mark. I've dropped it few times. No case or screen protector. I wonder if I jinxed it now and the next fall will break it lol
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16326 posts
1081 upvotes
Woodbridge
Or it's just luck. The highest I dropped is chest high walking to the house it fell on the side walk face down. Not a single scratch.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12448 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
bembol wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:18 pm
Or it's just luck. The highest I dropped is chest high walking to the house it fell on the side walk face down. Not a single scratch.
This. Phone glass is generally engineered to prevent scratches from being in your pocket, and face-on impacts. Any kind of side impact/corner drop runs the risk of cracking the glass. Hit it at just the right angle with not that much force, and boom, cracked. Or you could land at another angle from much higher and it'll be fine.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
cheapest place to get an unlock code for the S8? TIA
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:53 pm
Have used it for a few days . It`s a big improvement over my Note 4 . Nice features like the rear fingerprint scan . But is it wort the cost over my Note 4 . Not sure .
how's the battery life? Do you use it with the A-o-D on?
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Sep 27, 2003
8231 posts
1596 upvotes
Newmarket
My UAG Monarch was too big, put it back in the box.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1196 posts
191 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
bembol wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:18 pm
I've owned 5 different Galaxy models, 4 different iPhone models, an LG, etc. I've had cell phones since 1990. This is the first time I've damaged a phone. I accept that it'll be quite a cost to repair, but taking weeks for the repair on a costly device is annoying.

It did hit the floor right on the bottom right corner. The corner area cracked into little pieces, and a long crack was created in a loop around the whole screen. I picked up a OtterBox case that has better corner coverage.

Regarding battery life, I've been very impressed. One day I had 5 hours of screen time, almost two hours of call time, and still 40% battery left.
Sep 27, 2003
8231 posts
1596 upvotes
Newmarket
My submission for the free speaker was rejected as I figured it would be.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2736 posts
178 upvotes
Otterbox commuter since day one . I have a ready dropped the phone from chest high . It survived so far . The commuter does not add much bulk to the phone . Definantly smaller then the case for my note 4 .
Sep 27, 2003
8231 posts
1596 upvotes
Newmarket
pfbmgd wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:22 am
Otterbox commuter since day one . I have a ready dropped the phone from chest high . It survived so far . The commuter does not add much bulk to the phone . Definantly smaller then the case for my note 4 .
Fortunately, Otterbox has done a decent job in streamlining their cases over the last couple years.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16326 posts
1081 upvotes
Woodbridge
WorldIRC wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:38 am
My submission for the free speaker was rejected as I figured it would be.
Date of purchase?

I logged in to my account and my S8+ changed from April 24 to May 15? Only problem is the receipt but I will submit it. LOL

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
327 upvotes
4 Problems With The Galaxy S8 That Samsung Can Fix With The Galaxy S9
Focus on speed

The Galaxy S8 is fast enough, but is that really acceptable when a phone costs more than $700? It packs the brand spankin' new Snapdragon 835, but Samsung is very focused on battery life. In fact, the GS8 isn't much faster than the Galaxy S7. The difference between phones like the Pixel, and even cheaper phones like the OnePlus 3T is clear. The GS8 isn't as fast....

Fix the fingerprint sensor

Samsung was one of the first phone makers to commit to fingerprint sensors on its phone, but they were pretty bad at first. Now, they're still not very good. Even cheap phones like the Moto G5 Plus has a faster, more accurate sensor than the Galaxy S8. Samsung also put the sensor in a terrible place on the back of the phone: very high, next to the camera. Samsung cannot ship another phone with this fingerprint sensor—it's that bad....

Rethink the Bixby button

I'm going to call this one a bit early: Bixby is dead... Samsung just doesn't know it yet. Samsung's smart assistant was supposed to launch on the GS8 with the ability to control apps by voice, but that only works in Korean right now, and only for certain apps. Early reports from Korean speakers are not positive, either. Nothing else Bixby does is worth your attention. So, there's a button on the GS8 that launches a feature no one cares about....

Make fast charging fast again

The Galaxy S8 has fast charging, but it's not really very fast compared to everyone else. Samsung has been using the same "Adaptive Fast Charge" tech since 2014, which is based on the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 spec. Everyone else is on QC 3.0 (eg. LG) or USB-PD (Google). Those are both considerably faster than Samsung's charging. Samsung has the hardware inside its phones to support faster charging methods—the Snapdragon 835 can do Quick Charge 4.0. It just needs to license the tech....
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1955 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
My wife is on Freedom BYOP service and I am very tempted to get the S8+ for $60 with the $35 tab on a 2 year contract. Spoke with Freedom Customer rep and the only extra charge is to pay the $60 and additional $35 per month on a eligible plan.

What are your opinions of the S8+ also does Wind offer anything extra like the other providers are offering?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16326 posts
1081 upvotes
Woodbridge
I bought the Anker Wireless Charger at amazon, it's on sale for $19.99.

Dropped my S8+ with 47% left and says an hour and fifty-six minutes to charge.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1411 posts
366 upvotes
Picked this up and pretty good so far. Any tips and tricks? I installed nova launcher and adjusted the screen resolution to max.