• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 8:30 pm
Jul 27, 2015
157 posts
33 upvotes
British Columbia
tablo13 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 8:11 pm
Turns out it's not that good of a deal. With 7.5% (?) tax, it comes to $1000 CAD. Not to mention it's on backorder for 3 weeks.

I purchased from the Samsung Canada website instead for $1180, does anyone know how long it takes to ship and which courier they use?
Mine took 2 or 3 days. I ordered Sunday night. It came out of Richmond bc. I'm about 2 hour drive from there
Aug 30, 2011
816 posts
95 upvotes
Edmonton
chilli604 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 8:23 pm
Mine took 2 or 3 days. I ordered Sunday night. It came out of Richmond bc. I'm about 2 hour drive from there
Richmond BC, that's good to hear since I'm in Edmonton. Thank you.
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
Can someone recommend a good glass protector for s8 plus that doesn't lower the screens quality for sharpness and color? I picked up a protector tonight and it went on really easy,but where the glue is on the sides, you can see it haze on a white screen. UHHH
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
chilli604 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 4:54 pm
Glad your enjoying it. I was unsure about the s8+ also. But after owning it. Man what a great phone.
What case did you buy for it?

I got the Alcantara and a white silicone case
I got the Speck Precious clear TPU case at Best Buy. Its rated to take a 8 story drop.

I love clear TPU cases for my phones because 1) They last an incredibly long time in terms of maintaining it's look cause clear hides scratches and marks so well. They really are scratch resistant and 2) They look good. I used a clear TPU case on my Z Ultra and that was the only case I ever needed for it in the 3 yrs using that phone lol. Yes it started to get a bit dark over time from the oils and dirt but still pretty good!

I really like it but I'm a bit disappointed how slippery it makes the phone. I might bring it back and get something else. This phone is slippery enough as is, it feels like I'm handling a fragile phone made of glass or something.

I do have my eye on one of the Samsung wallet cases. Are these cases worth it? What's the verdict on them?

I know two people who use them on their Sammy phones and I really like them. They have a few benefits (though the price for the case is outrageous, $90CDN?!!!!!! For one, you don't need a screen protector cause the screen will be covered up and two, it really mades the phone look good.

Benefit #1 IMO is huge because I have yet to find a screen protector for the S8 plus that doesn't degrade the screen quality and two stays on and doesn't have glue residue on the sides that can be seen on white screens.

Are you using a glass screen protector? How durable is GG4 for resisting scratches?
Jul 27, 2015
157 posts
33 upvotes
British Columbia
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 11:05 pm
I got the Speck Precious clear TPU case at Best Buy. Its rated to take a 8 story drop.

I love clear TPU cases for my phones because 1) They last an incredibly long time in terms of maintaining it's look cause clear hides scratches and marks so well. They really are scratch resistant and 2) They look good. I used a clear TPU case on my Z Ultra and that was the only case I ever needed for it in the 3 yrs using that phone lol. Yes it started to get a bit dark over time from the oils and dirt but still pretty good!

I really like it but I'm a bit disappointed how slippery it makes the phone. I might bring it back and get something else. This phone is slippery enough as is, it feels like I'm handling a fragile phone made of glass or something.

I do have my eye on one of the Samsung wallet cases. Are these cases worth it? What's the verdict on them?

I know two people who use them on their Sammy phones and I really like them. They have a few benefits (though the price for the case is outrageous, $90CDN?!!!!!! For one, you don't need a screen protector cause the screen will be covered up and two, it really mades the phone look good.

Benefit #1 IMO is huge because I have yet to find a screen protector for the S8 plus that doesn't degrade the screen quality and two stays on and doesn't have glue residue on the sides that can be seen on white screens.

Are you using a glass screen protector? How durable is GG4 for resisting scratches?

Waller cases are annoying for daily use. Maybe for the weekend or something. No screen protector.
You should record a video underwater. Quality is amazing
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
chilli604 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 11:42 pm
Waller cases are annoying for daily use. Maybe for the weekend or something. No screen protector.
You should record a video underwater. Quality is amazing
I just read reviews on the LED case. You can't see who's calling when the case is slowed. SERIOUSLY?! This is kind of an important feature. So you have to open it each time? Deal breaker for me. I did very much like the auto shut off and on when you open and close it.

I was eyeing the Samsung LED clear case but then Always on display doesn't work with it. Does Samsung think through these things when they design these cases?

How come you don't use a screen protector? Is Gord Glass 4 that good for durability?

I see all these glass protectors and I can't tell what is good and what's garbage. I lucked out on my Z Ultra by finding $1 glass protectors from China that were perfect and didn't degrade the screen quality, but I doubt I will be lucky again with the S8 plus.

I wish I could return my screen protectors that I bought tonight. I only paid $16 for 3 but I am not happy with it. Once i put it on, I immediately could tell that the glass protector degraded the screen a bit in sharpness and brightness. It's just not worth it IMO. I want the full glory of this screen.

That case you have is cool, (it's basically the same material on the Surface Pro keyboards), but it wouldn't work for me since I use my phone in dirty environments. It would get trashed in no time.

I might bring my case back and get an Otterbox defender. I need more grip.
Jul 27, 2015
157 posts
33 upvotes
British Columbia
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 12:22 am
I just read reviews on the LED case. You can't see who's calling when the case is slowed. SERIOUSLY?! This is kind of an important feature. So you have to open it each time? Deal breaker for me. I did very much like the auto shut off and on when you open and close it.

I was eyeing the Samsung LED clear case but then Always on display doesn't work with it. Does Samsung think through these things when they design these cases?

How come you don't use a screen protector? Is Gord Glass 4 that good for durability?

I see all these glass protectors and I can't tell what is good and what's garbage. I lucked out on my Z Ultra by finding $1 glass protectors from China that were perfect and didn't degrade the screen quality, but I doubt I will be lucky again with the S8 plus.

I wish I could return my screen protectors that I bought tonight. I only paid $16 for 3 but I am not happy with it. Once i put it on, I immediately could tell that the glass protector degraded the screen a bit in sharpness and brightness. It's just not worth it IMO. I want the full glory of this screen.

That case you have is cool, (it's basically the same material on the Surface Pro keyboards), but it wouldn't work for me since I use my phone in dirty environments. It would get trashed in no time.

I might bring my case back and get an Otterbox defender. I need more grip.
Yea there isn't a good glass screen protector. I don't think there ever will be either lol. So I just go naked. Of course I'm scared to scratch the screen. Just gotta be careful when I put it in my pocket.

Always YouTube reviews before u buy any cell phone accessory
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
chilli604 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 12:47 am
Yea there isn't a good glass screen protector. I don't think there ever will be either lol. So I just go naked. Of course I'm scared to scratch the screen. Just gotta be careful when I put it in my pocket.

Always YouTube reviews before u buy any cell phone accessory
See this is why flat phones are and always will be better than curved.

For cases, I actually was wanting an Otterbox defender at first cause of the grip and extra protection but after seeing how insanely difficult it is to remove, I was put off. It's 2017 and these guys are still making their defender cases in 3 pieces? Who wants to deal with that? The guys at Best Buy literally spent 20mins prying pieces off of the dummy model. Otherwise I love the case and the grip it gives.

Yes it makes the phone more bulky but for me I will take functionality over looks.

I know you will ask why I want to remove the case every now and then? Cause I find that dust and dirt will get into all cases and eventually make it to the back of the phone. I use my phone a lot in very dusty environments so that's why I would get the case if Otterbox defender cases really help with dust getting along the sides and back.I really loved the feel of it, it had good grip and looked good and wasn't that bulky compared to previous defender models.

I just don't understand the 3 pieces. No way I will want to go through that each time taking it off to wipe the phone down.
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Jun 24th, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3755 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
im using the spigen neoflex for my S8 and it's excellent. Not tempered glass tho. No complaints. Not prone to fingerprints and clarity is perfect. Sticks to the curved edges just fine.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
May 17, 2012
821 posts
300 upvotes
grand valley
New s8+ owner. Moved from note 4. Stellar phone couldn't be happier. Iris scanner works great. Hope the battery is still decent after 18 to 24 months
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 6:26 pm
im using the spigen neoflex for my S8 and it's excellent. Not tempered glass tho. No complaints. Not prone to fingerprints and clarity is perfect. Sticks to the curved edges just fine.
Sounds nice but man, after 4 years now of using tempura glass, there is no going back.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2717 posts
171 upvotes
Using otterbox commuter and I like it . No screen protector on the phone . I tried one of the liquid type protectors on my note 4 . But I noticed I needed to clean the screen several times a day .
Jan 18, 2008
679 posts
14 upvotes
I would recommend going with the Clearplex film protector from BestBuy. Got both sides done at $29.99/side. Lifetime warranty and if aren't satisfied, just bring it to a bestbuy and they'll replace it for you as long as you show the receipt

Great deal IMO
Jul 27, 2015
157 posts
33 upvotes
British Columbia
I had a flim protector on my blackberry back in the day. I left it in my pocket while hiking and I guess the heat and sweat made the flim peel off. Never again if purchase a film protector