Official Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 4:21 pm
Sep 4, 2016
370 posts
106 upvotes
euphoria24 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 10:43 am
I would recommend going with the Clearplex film protector from BestBuy. Got both sides done at $29.99/side. Lifetime warranty and if aren't satisfied, just bring it to a bestbuy and they'll replace it for you as long as you show the receipt

Great deal IMO
Are you talking about the film protector that BB exclusively sells and installs? I was quoted $40 per side here including install but comes with lifetime warranty. When it gets scratched, they replace it for free, you just pay $10 for install.

I got it put on the back of my phone cause I got it thrown in for free by the rep when I got the phone.
Jan 18, 2008
676 posts
14 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 1:33 pm
Are you talking about the film protector that BB exclusively sells and installs? I was quoted $40 per side here including install but comes with lifetime warranty. When it gets scratched, they replace it for free, you just pay $10 for install.

I got it put on the back of my phone cause I got it thrown in for free by the rep when I got the phone.
That's the one I'm talking about but after walking the mall (scarborough town centre), I was able to find that Phonelab has the service for I believe $24.99 (not sure if its lifetime or if they replace it at anytime) - so I stuck with bestbuy. I just paid a flat fee of $29.99 per side and it came with installation. However, I dont expect to be paying $10 everytime if they replace it for me
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3717 posts
492 upvotes
Regina
have had it for a few hours playing around, got the Lifeproof case kicked in for free with it so am satisfied...it isn't much of a change from the Note 4 in size
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3486 posts
212 upvotes
Why are there no thread on the Galaxy Note 8 that is slated for release in probably 2 months? There's even a leaked photo of it on Youtube.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23834 posts
5052 upvotes
GTHA
Mr. Robo wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 9:06 pm
Why are there no thread on the Galaxy Note 8 that is slated for release in probably 2 months? There's even a leaked photo of it on Youtube.
Why don't you create a thread for it?
Sep 4, 2016
370 posts
106 upvotes
Is there no way to permanently disable some Samsung apps like messages, calendar, gallery, bixby? I disable them in the apps menu but when I restart the phone, it's all running again. Uhhh.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4941 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 10:30 am
Is there no way to permanently disable some Samsung apps like messages, calendar, gallery, bixby? I disable them in the apps menu but when I restart the phone, it's all running again. Uhhh.
I don't have s8, but s7 i used an app - Samsung PAckage Disabler I think its called. I have the paid app, not sure if there are limitations in free version. Give it a try, u can disable lot of things, not allowed otherwise (and no root needed)
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1158 posts
178 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 10:30 am
Go to the Play Store and install Package Disabler Pro. It can disable a lot, including what you've listed.
Sep 4, 2016
370 posts
106 upvotes
PrinceMS wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 12:31 pm
I don't have s8, but s7 i used an app - Samsung PAckage Disabler I think its called. I have the paid app, not sure if there are limitations in free version. Give it a try, u can disable lot of things, not allowed otherwise (and no root needed)
robertz wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 1:22 pm
Go to the Play Store and install Package Disabler Pro. It can disable a lot, including what you've listed.
Thank you. Hopefully this Package disabler runs pretty light in the background on the phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1158 posts
178 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 10:46 pm
Thank you. Hopefully this Package disabler runs pretty light in the background on the phone.
It doesn't run in the background.
Oct 7, 2007
166 posts
38 upvotes
Rider Nation
I was curious on the 360 degree protective case for the S8. New one coming for the cost of activation thru my carrier here in SASK.
Canada Day special.
I have an otterbox defender I used on my S5 and it was good. Is it still the case to buy (50 bucks now)since its been a couple of years since I last bought a case. I'm in construction so 360 protection is critical. I did some googling etc, but not really seeing anything constructive .
Thanks for the replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3037 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
if anyone is looking for a temper glass screen protector i just got the whitestone dome...i think it's the best one out there right now
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Nov 22, 2007
652 posts
24 upvotes
I purchased an unlocked s8+ at a samsung experience store. I took it to korea and used it no problem travelled to hongkong taiwan and Russia and used different aims every time.
On my way back to canada I put in my bell sim card and all of a sudden it deletes and resets my phone without asking permission. I googled this issue and apparently this is a 'feature present in Canadian variants. Dear God... so a frequent traveller have to risk all of their data and contents every time one inserts a new or a foreign sim?