• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 3:56 pm
Oct 28, 2006
386 posts
156 upvotes
Alberta
thl0103 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 11:36 am
I purchased an unlocked s8+ at a samsung experience store. I took it to korea and used it no problem travelled to hongkong taiwan and Russia and used different aims every time.
On my way back to canada I put in my bell sim card and all of a sudden it deletes and resets my phone without asking permission. I googled this issue and apparently this is a 'feature present in Canadian variants. Dear God... so a frequent traveller have to risk all of their data and contents every time one inserts a new or a foreign sim?
Which was the first SIM you put in your phone? Since the single sku system the Samsung galaxy and note series (s6 and note 5 onwards) will do a hard reset and lock to the first SIM. However any subsequent Sims you put in it won't reset the phone..I'm speaking from the experience. The initial hard reset sets the CSC to the SIM provider and installs the bloatware. You can try this yourself and install a non bell affiliate SIM ie Rogers, telus etc and phone won't do a hard reset. It sucks it does it initially but that's the wireless vendors forcing the Samsung's hand as they want their bloatware and system specific, like Wi-Fi calling, software installed
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3283 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
thl0103 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 11:36 am
I purchased an unlocked s8+ at a samsung experience store. I took it to korea and used it no problem travelled to hongkong taiwan and Russia and used different aims every time.
On my way back to canada I put in my bell sim card and all of a sudden it deletes and resets my phone without asking permission. I googled this issue and apparently this is a 'feature present in Canadian variants. Dear God... so a frequent traveller have to risk all of their data and contents every time one inserts a new or a foreign sim?
Never happened to me when I did it. You have to make sure you put a Canadian Sim in there first. Or else it will reset.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Nov 22, 2007
685 posts
26 upvotes
I did put in my bell sim card initially then unlocked it.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17465 posts
170 upvotes
YVR
Is it possible to permanently delete all of the Samsung bloatware and remap the Bixby button?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3283 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
thl0103 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 6:24 am
I did put in my bell sim card initially then unlocked it.
Not sure then actually just bad luck? I just came back from Italy and Iceland and swap sims with no issues. Can back and i put in my public mobile sim and it's fine.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
robertz wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 2:15 pm
It doesn't run in the background.
Oh but in my memory in the device section, it shows 68MB dedicated to it.
Aug 8, 2003
393 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
for those who got it from a carrier (rogers, koodo, etc) where is everyone getting their phones unlocked?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16168 posts
1023 upvotes
Woodbridge
Unlock GSM Canada. IIRC $17.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3659 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 7:37 am
Is it possible to permanently delete all of the Samsung bloatware and remap the Bixby button?
AFAIK:
deleting bloatware: rooting
remap Bixby: there's an app for it. 'bxActions' is the app

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17465 posts
170 upvotes
YVR
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 2:39 pm
AFAIK:
deleting bloatware: rooting
remap Bixby: there's an app for it. 'bxActions' is the app

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8
Will I be able to use Android Pay or face other limitations after rooting the S8? I never felt the need to make any modifications with my phone as I've always had a Nexus device.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3659 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 8:31 pm
Will I be able to use Android Pay or face other limitations after rooting the S8? I never felt the need to make any modifications with my phone as I've always had a Nexus device.
can't comment on that as i've never rooted my phones before.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3575 posts
631 upvotes
Alberta
marktang wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 8:31 am
Not sure then actually just bad luck? I just came back from Italy and Iceland and swap sims with no issues. Can back and i put in my public mobile sim and it's fine.
Mine is on Telus, I used a Telia SIM in Sweden and a T-Mobile SIM and a the US. Phone worked just fine, with my Telus SIM put back in, didn't reset.
Jul 27, 2015
144 posts
28 upvotes
British Columbia
So twice. I'm playing CSR and the app freezes for a few seconds then the phone restarts.

Anyone expericing their phone auto restarting?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1177 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 7:37 am
There's a hack to remain the Bixby button, but it's not clean.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1177 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 12:17 pm
Oh but in my memory in the device section, it shows 68MB dedicated to it.
Didn't show up on my phone, neither in the device memory section, running services, or cached background processes.