• Sep 21st, 2017 3:56 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17465 posts
170 upvotes
YVR
robertz wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 5:25 am
There's a hack to remain the Bixby button, but it's not clean.
Maybe I'll just wait for the Pixel 2 then. I actually don't care about the lack of OS upgrades from Samsung as I use to in the past, but the bloatware and now the Bixby button is too much. I just wish Samsung would stick with what it's good at and just leave the software to Google. They're only making things worse with all of this crap that I have no interest in using.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1177 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 8:31 pm
Will I be able to use Android Pay or face other limitations after rooting the S8? I never felt the need to make any modifications with my phone as I've always had a Nexus device.
Rooting will likely trip Knox and therefore cause apps like Android Pay not to work.
Last edited by robertz on Jul 5th, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17465 posts
170 upvotes
YVR
robertz wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 5:27 am
Rooting will likely to Knox and therefore cause apps like Android Pay not to work.
Thanks for confirming what I don't want to hear. :(

Why can't there be a Nexus edition of the S8 with 6 or 8GB of RAM? That' would be my dream Android device of 2017!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4279 posts
486 upvotes
Got the June 1st security patch this morning. 40MB in size.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12422 posts
4021 upvotes
Oakville
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 8:31 pm
Will I be able to use Android Pay or face other limitations after rooting the S8? I never felt the need to make any modifications with my phone as I've always had a Nexus device.
Unless you use something like Magisk to root and hide your root, no, you won't be able to use Android pay. And Google has been catching on to Magisk as well - at least on my Nexus 6p I wasn't able to get root properly hidden no matter what I did, with the latest security updates.
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 5:32 am
Thanks for confirming what I don't want to hear. :(

Why can't there be a Nexus edition of the S8 with 6 or 8GB of RAM? That' would be my dream Android device of 2017!
I can't imagine why there would be.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3659 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 8:38 am
Got the June 1st security patch this morning. 40MB in size.
same
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Aug 8, 2003
393 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone have VoLTE working on Telus with the S8/S8+???

im trying to get this working but i dont see any option to enable VoLTE on my phone (mine is originally from koodo)
Oct 28, 2006
386 posts
156 upvotes
Alberta
phrozenphury wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 2:07 pm
does anyone have VoLTE working on Telus with the S8/S8+???

im trying to get this working but i dont see any option to enable VoLTE on my phone (mine is originally from koodo)
Which SIM you put in first? Check the CSC code if it says KDO or something else..if it says KDO ie koodo then you won't get volte option. But you can change the CSC to telus and it will install Telus firmware and calling features, beware it will hard reset your phone. You can Google how to check csc. I can't recall the code but will post once I do.

Edit. type the following code with your device IMEI number: *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here# 
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5002 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 5:27 am
Maybe I'll just wait for the Pixel 2 then. I actually don't care about the lack of OS upgrades from Samsung as I use to in the past, but the bloatware and now the Bixby button is too much. I just wish Samsung would stick with what it's good at and just leave the software to Google. They're only making things worse with all of this crap that I have no interest in using.
bloatware can very easily be disabled - at most you may need an app from the appstore that can disable even the builtin apps / services that are not allowed to stop (no rooting required). The button can be configured for google assistant (and possibly for nothing) as well.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2427 posts
1136 upvotes
Montreal
Best phone I have ever had with 7 hours of screen on time!!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1177 posts
183 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
PrinceMS wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:35 pm
bloatware can very easily be disabled - at most you may need an app from the appstore that can disable even the builtin apps / services that are not allowed to stop (no rooting required).
Package Disabler Pro. Lets you disable a lot. Great application.
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
how much memory do you guys usually have free when you go into device maintenance? Just curious. I find that this S8 plus doesn't release ram very good, you often have to free up and clean the memory.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12422 posts
4021 upvotes
Oakville
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 1:41 am
how much memory do you guys usually have free when you go into device maintenance? Just curious. I find that this S8 plus doesn't release ram very good, you often have to free up and clean the memory.
In my experience, the amount of "free" ram doesn't really mean very much. Android tends to just keep shit in memory until it needs more memory, then it dumps whatever apps it needs to in order to free up that memory.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3659 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 1:41 am
usually more or less 1 gb gets freed up. Just tried it now and i got 1.3 freed.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Aug 26, 2010
66 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my S8+ yesterday. Having this weird issue that the screen goes dim then turns off after about 6-7 seconds. I've set the screen time out to 10 minutes but it still turns off. Doesn't matter if I'm on the lock screen or inside the phone. Anyone else having this issue?

edit: In case anyone else is having this issue, apparently it's a glitch with restoring Google accounts. What I had to do was a factory reset, then did the initial set up without restoring my Google account. I "skipped" that step. Then I just synced everything after the inital set up. Works great now.