Cell Phones

Official Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 3:56 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3636 posts
298 upvotes
I am slightly concerned reading about this bloat people are talking about. I went from a long time BB user to Apple. I hate Apple and BB is fading so figured go with an S8. But to see people posting comments it makes me wonder if the android system is superior to Apple.

Apple just does not allow change of anything. Everything is set. File formats ring tones you name it. I was use to BB being an open sand box.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5002 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Max_Dealing wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:28 pm
I am slightly concerned reading about this bloat people are talking about. I went from a long time BB user to Apple. I hate Apple and BB is fading so figured go with an S8. But to see people posting comments it makes me wonder if the android system is superior to Apple.

Apple just does not allow change of anything. Everything is set. File formats ring tones you name it. I was use to BB being an open sand box.
I have to agree with previous user - we are nit pickking now. I disabled Rogers etc apps just because I don't want to see them in app list. Similarly samsung has its own theme + appstore. Disabling doesn't really add much to phone, just that I like to keep my list clean - so its disabled.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
1970 posts
108 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 6:25 pm
Is the S8 worth upgrading from an S7? I got an S7 for $400 all in, not sure if i should return that and get a S8.
not worth it imo
s7 is actually faster with old style ui
It's prettier but that about it especially for someone likes
smaller phones... s7 is samsungs masterpiece
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3453 posts
335 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Is the S8 worth upgrading from an S7? I got an S7 for $400 all in, not sure if i should return that and get a S8.
that's a very good deal you got there ... where did u get it?

if u r thinking of the S8, u should go for the S8+ ... but ... honestly it is not worth it ... imho ...

also, the edge thinggy may be pretty to look at ... its not that useful tho ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12422 posts
4021 upvotes
Oakville
Jimboski wrote:
S8 is a fantastic phone, but it's not several hundred dollars better than the S7 IMO.
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44223 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 7:20 pm
that's a very good deal you got there ... where did u get it?

if u r thinking of the S8, u should go for the S8+ ... but ... honestly it is not worth it ... imho ...

also, the edge thinggy may be pretty to look at ... its not that useful tho ...
The ongoing eBay thread - ebay-canada-samsung-galaxy-s7-32gb-g930 ... #p27991969
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:28 am
In my experience, the amount of "free" ram doesn't really mean very much. Android tends to just keep shit in memory until it needs more memory, then it dumps whatever apps it needs to in order to free up that memory.
Oh much like windows.

It seems my Sony Z Ultra was better in memory management. Not a big deal but a bit annoying that I need to go into device maintenance every couple days to clear the memory.
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:04 am
usually more or less 1 gb gets freed up. Just tried it now and i got 1.3 freed.
Seems the same for me. I just put Facebook light on so it helps since the original FB app is a huge memory hog
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3636 posts
298 upvotes
Raw specs wise the S8 seems to be at par with the future phones co I g out like Apple 8 and pixel 2. This is the number one draw towards the S8 currently for me. I am hoping the OS is wide open for customization but time will tell.

The huawi magic also seems like a winner but it does not exist in North America.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Jul 27, 2015
144 posts
28 upvotes
British Columbia
so the other day. I decided to add more numbers to my PIN Password. Then today i restarted the phone and it asked me for the new PIN. I punched it in and it didnt work.
So im freaking out. I Managed to Factory Reset the phone but now. I cant get pass the Google log in because i also reset that Password.
it tells me i need to wait 24 hours after resetting the GOOGLE PW.
so i have a brick S8+ at the moment
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
I'm not one who upgrades often or needs the latest and greatest. I usually buy and use phones 1 or 2 generations back because I am cheap when it comes to phones. The S8+ is my first flagship phone that I've ever owned. I generally keep my phones for 3 years.

The only reason why I upgraded was because I needed a GPS and I got an offer from Fido that I couldn't turn down. I've needed a new GPS for about a year now as the one in my old phone was toast and I didn't want a standalone GPS because i find them to be a nousense to use and the touchscreens on them still suck compared to smartphones. I couldn't go any longer without a working GPS so I figured I would just renew my term and get a new phone.

I wasn't sold on the S8+ at first, in fact I had to make a few trips back to BB to play more with the demo and see if I could make a decision. I liked the phone but didn't love it. It took a few calls to Fido to get me the absolute best price on this phone.

I got the S8+ for $400 on a 2 yr renewal and I was able to keep my $55 plan. I sold my old phone for $200 the next day so the new phone worked out to be $200. Pretty good deal IMO. A new standalone GPS would cost close to $200. So how I see it is, I basically paid $200 for a new GPS and got the phone free. I will say one thing, standalone GPS units will never compare to smartphones for GPS convenience and touchscreen accuracy.

After using the phone for 3 weeks now, I have to say this is the best phone I've ever used, it's just awesome. For me, $200 for this phone was well worth it, but if it was $400, then I would have passed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)