• Jun 29th, 2017 4:42 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
krs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 11:39 pm
Anone have "loading an offer" not work?

I got an email offer of 15X points if I spend $30 or more this past Friday.
Loaded the offer on Thursday at my computer at home.

Went to Shoppers on Friday, purchased eligible items for $35.- but at the cash the 15X points offer did not show up with my Optimum card.
Luckily I had also printed the offer and had it with me.
Cashier put it in that way and it worked fine.

If I hadn't prnted the offer I would have been out the bonus points!
You may be having the same issues that I am having - but then maybe not. I also load my offers from my home computer (I do not have a cell phone).

After I sign in I am able to see the offers (e.g. 20 X the points if I spend $50 this Monday). If I try and load from the first page the offer will not load - it has been this way for several months. I have to open and view the offer and then hit the load button and then it will take. I always check the loaded offers to ensure that they are there. Optimum is aware of the issue and advised that they could always load the offers for me. However, Plan B seems to be working so I will continue to do as I have been doing until it no longer works.

If this is not your issue I suggest you call Optimum for assistance.
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 3:02 pm
To maxmimize points with prescriptions :
1. If it is a purchase like compression socks, crutches etc... from the Home Health line - it is considered a regular purchase. So if you have a 15 X or 20 X coupon loaded then it works. I am actually surprised at this... and feel it may be shut down. I bought Sigvaris compression socks- total $ 449 and with a loaded coupon got back 66,000 Points. Unbelievable. I was literally skipping out of the store... but at the same time I felt it was not quite right.

2. Use SDM gift cards for all purchases - everything ! Including Home Health and Pharmacy. You get full Base points on the card- so this effectively give you 1X more than you would... EG. 20X goes to 21X... It does not seem like much but on expensive prescriptions it can add up.

3. Pay for you SDM card with your points card MasterCard or Air Miles MasterCard- heck, ANY mastercard ! where you can get a % back in cash or for travel. Do not pay cash. This again is not huge but can add up.
Have been a Shoppers Optimum Fan since Day 1, and did not know this. THANK YOU.
Jun 5, 2009
94 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 10:48 am
Have been a Shoppers Optimum Fan since Day 1, and did not know this. THANK YOU.
I am not an Optimum member but was thinking of joining...if it's worth my time. I'm not sure if it is since I've rarely shopped at SDM but maybe I'm missing out? I know the PCF MC I have gives a 3% kickback at SDM which is good for buying the gift cards if you want to go that route as rdiamond1 has laid out.

Usually I shop at Costco, RCSS, London Drugs, Amazon and I've found SDM to be far more expensive unless you are looking for their typical front-page flyer items (pop, chips, etc.). Just wondering where most people find the value?
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
The trick is to buy ON SALE and also accumulate points on BONUS DAYS. As well as watch what weekly Personalized offers that you are sent. Buy when things are most advantageous to you (and not the store). Shoppers regularly has 20x the points days or weekends, that is the best time to buy (although if you get their App / Emails, you will see Personal Offers that are great too for the weeks there is no store wide Times the Points Event going on). This week I have a personal offer for 15x the points as long as I spend $ 20.

So every week I spend a few minutes loading my Offers / Ecoupons to my Account / Optimum Card and looking over the Weekly Flyer making note of what is on Sale / Special Promo, and shop accordingly.

Their program is tiered, so the more points you save up, the more they are worth.

POINTS & THEIR VALUE
8,000. = $ 10
22,000. = $ 30
38,000. = $ 60
50,000. = $ 85
95,000. = $ 170

You can cash in your points any time that you reach a tier, or at a lower tier... So if you have 38,000 you can use them all to get $ 60 in merchandise, or you can use enough points for $ 30 or $ 10'off (like Insaid the better value per point tho is in the higher tiers). In all cases though your points / cash will be applied to the after tax total.

Where the real value lies is when Shoppers has a BONUS Redemption Event like they did this past weekend. Personally, I cashed in for the maximum of 95,000 Points = $ 170 Dollars (again after tax totals). And cause it was a BONUS EVENT, Shoppers will be refunding to my account 22,000 Points, the Equivalent of $ 30 before the end of the month.

Cause we are diligent in just buying on Sale & Bonus Points Days, and Cashing in on Bonus Redemption Events (they come around 2 or 3 times a year) I would say that we typically get back from our points in FREE Merchandise somewhere in the 50% to 66% range from our spending for an entire year.

We don't have a PC MasterCard, so I cannot speak directly to that other than say that those that do rave about its ability to quickly rack up points at both Lobaws & SDM

The key element with both PC Plus & Optimum is you have to be diligent in loading your offers / Ecoupons, because without them you really are not getting the full benefit.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2765 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I somehow managed to accumulate over 95000 points but can't figure out how I could possibly spend $170.- or more in one Shoppers shopping trip.
Oct 3, 2010
741 posts
339 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
krs wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 6:56 pm
I somehow managed to accumulate over 95000 points but can't figure out how I could possibly spend $170.- or more in one Shoppers shopping trip.
The 50000 reward is more realistic, its 85$ and you only lose 5000 potential points. To answer your question, the 170$ reward is only useful for consoles or expensive supplements or expensive beauty product.
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
krs wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 6:56 pm
Lol, never been a problem in this house (see below)
JFRACINE wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 12:20 pm
The 50000 reward is more realistic, its 85$ and you only lose 5000 potential points. To answer your question, the 170$ reward is only useful for consoles or expensive supplements or expensive beauty product.
Agree on the expensive items as this is where some of the better value is found... Such as cameras & electronics. Skincare, Beauty & Perfume are certainly another area, be it for Men or Women (both of us get our Cologne at Shoppers ~$ 100 each). But we've also found value in buying Vitamins, Cleaning Supplies, and Books & Magazines (mags are a true luxury if you check out the price tags).

When we know that a Redemption Event is about to happen we spend extra time with the flyer and do a quick household inventory to figure out what we need that would give us the best bang for our buck... Always have a plan when we hit the store so as to maximize savings.

Others here I believe have said they trade in their Optimum Points for Gift Cards, am yet to do that, might consider down the road, but so far have never been in a situation where we find ourselves in the store actualy searching to fill up our cart to make the $ 170.
Jul 27, 2016
133 posts
111 upvotes
Any time I redeem 95,000 SDM points (preferably on a bonus redemption weekend) what I get most is whatever frozen foods are on sale that weekend and I load up the apartment sized chest freezer.

Some folks will redeem for items that never go on sale. I always like to maximize the redemption by getting only items also on sale.
Always check the clearance shelf too.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2765 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
The trouble I find is that Shoppers tend to be more expensive than other stores unless the item is on sale...and even then.

But getting gift cards sounds like an option if I can do that - would be ideal if I can buy smaller denomination gift cards that add up to $170.-
Aug 23, 2010
123 posts
114 upvotes
GTA
Does anyone know what qualifies as "candy or snacks" at Shoppers?
Does pop, granola bars, cereal qualify?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3320 posts
1003 upvotes
j831 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 6:40 pm
Does anyone know what qualifies as "candy or snacks" at Shoppers?
Does pop, granola bars, cereal qualify?
works for me on food (milk, eggs, coffee)
Mar 11, 2004
550 posts
56 upvotes
Quebec City
lecale wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 6:44 pm
works for me on food (milk, eggs, coffee)
Not for me... Candy and snacks are potato chips, candy, peanuts, pop, etc.

They have another type of coupon for food, I think you are mixing the two.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3320 posts
1003 upvotes
jakeoh wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 6:48 pm
Not for me... Candy and snacks are potato chips, candy, peanuts, pop, etc.

They have another type of coupon for food, I think you are mixing the two.
No, seriously, there are two coupons: "food and snacks" and "candy and snacks" - and both work on food AND candy AND snacks.
Oct 5, 2015
584 posts
469 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Phlav wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 9:34 pm
Can anybody tell me what is the best way to maximize my points with prescription purchases. If there even is a way.

Thanks in advance
I don't think you get points on prescription purchases, as my recall
Aug 23, 2010
123 posts
114 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 7:00 pm
No, seriously, there are two coupons: "food and snacks" and "candy and snacks" - and both work on food AND candy AND snacks.
Are you 100% sure? If the "candy and snacks" coupon works for food as well I'd rather not spend $10 solely on chips and junk food.