Shopping Discussion

"Official" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:32 pm
Jun 3, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
July 24 I redeemed some of my points (22,000) and of course I looked to see how much I needed for the next reward level after and it was 4000 or so but I don't remember which level.

Flash forward to August 3: I have to make a big purchase and get prescriptions so I go online to check my offers versus what I need when I notice my point balance is ZERO. I like my pharmacist a lot, mostly because he recognised me and used my name when he greeted me when I went in and wasn't getting a script filled, besides the point but he won me over with that. I decided to go in get scripts filled and ask if he would check my balance for me. He did and even suggested holding off any major purchases until I clear it up.

I called 1-800-SHOPPERS but they were "experiencing a higher number of calls", this was around 3pm so I called back at 7pm but this time prepared to wait it out. In that time I went and checked my transactions where clear as day the time I redeemed 22,000 showed 3 times. This will be simple I thought. Big warning flag went up when I mentioned the transaction being posted 3 times and was told "Yes some customers are reporting double transactions for that week" and I said "No three times". Then, wait, what, "This is happening to others as well?". I don't remember a lot of the rest of the conversation because at the same time I am wondering why I have to call if this is happening and they already know. Basically came down to "I will apply the missing 22,000 points and you can escalate if you wish". Yes, apply the points and yes very much escalate because I had more than 22,000 points, a lot more. Oh right, handy, I don't have the receipt. I do generally hold onto receipts longer but I also purge and a purge occurred.

Stroke of brilliance, my email offers, I go and look and there it is 39,484 points. I decide to email my own escalation and get a quick response asking for a photo of said email. Response:

"The email your(sic) received at that time did not take into consideration the redemption that happened. Our emails are sent 7 days ahead."

So I go and check another one, more recent and it lists me at 17,614. I have mailed a photo of that one as well.

I do love me some Optimum points but feel like I am getting the waxy end of the cotton swab on a stick, any one else one of those involved in doubling down even though it clearly looks like tripling down?
Angela Merkel impersonator available for your parties and occasions you wish to make extra special President of the Mangela Handsbury fanclub
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3118 posts
418 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Can anyone log into SDM Optimum and view their points today? I'm running into issues and wonder if the points system is down today. I also wanted to go in store to collect 8000 points with purchase (today only) but am hesitant if the system is broken again.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
fergy wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 10:35 am
Can anyone log into SDM Optimum and view their points today? I'm running into issues and wonder if the points system is down today. I also wanted to go in store to collect 8000 points with purchase (today only) but am hesitant if the system is broken again.
It looks like the online system is down: I am showing 0 points and 0 offers. In-store could be ok though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5817 posts
1589 upvotes
Montreal
I received an email about a class action in Québec regarding modifications in 2008, 2009 and 2010 to the program.

If I understand right, you must be an active member as of May 31, 2016 (exchanged or got points in the last 12 months) and active member in 2008, 2009 and/or 2010.

If it ends the way it's planned, Shoppers will add points to eligible Québec accounts. They don't say a specific number of points, because there are calculations evolved depending on your points balance.

http://spavocats.ca/en/class-actions/ac ... e-optimum/
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1260 posts
729 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 12:54 pm
I received an email about a class action in Québec regarding modifications in 2008, 2009 and 2010 to the program.

If I understand right, you must be an active member as of May 31, 2016 (exchanged or got points in the last 12 months) and active member in 2008, 2009 and/or 2010.

If it ends the way it's planned, Shoppers will add points to eligible Québec accounts. They don't say a specific number of points, because there are calculations evolved depending on your points balance.

http://spavocats.ca/en/class-actions/ac ... e-optimum/
Same email here. I already redeemed points for more than $2k throughout the years.

But am thinking how Pharmaprix is going to distribute those 'extra/bonus/whatever' points to collectors like myself that lost the (first) original card and managed to transfer former to a new (second) card between those years mentioned.

Interestingly, I found an old receipt dated in 2008 (a pharmaprix point redemption) under my first original card that I kept for product warranty which had since expired.

Happy to said that 'free' product is still kicking after all those years of service.
:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:

I am only RESPONSIBLE for what I say NOT for what you understand
Nov 25, 2013
34 posts
12 upvotes
I have not received coupons from SDM the past two weeks, other than three product coupons every week. Wondering if it is because I'm holding on too many points (140K, equivalent to $240) and hence they stopped sending me coupons.

Anyways I redeemed these points so lets see if they will send me coupons again this week.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1171 posts
204 upvotes
jaye23 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:33 pm
I have not received coupons from SDM the past two weeks, other than three product coupons every week. Wondering if it is because I'm holding on too many points (140K, equivalent to $240) and hence they stopped sending me coupons.

Anyways I redeemed these points so lets see if they will send me coupons again this week.

I'm also down to 3 coupons after getting over 12 including $1 off milk every week.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
790 upvotes
jaye23 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:33 pm

minimalist wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 1:04 pm
I'm also down to 3 coupons after getting over 12 including $1 off milk every week.
I believe something has changed recently in how they mail out offers / coupons.

I've been virtually getting nothing as well... However when I log into / click thru to MY SHOPPERS OPTIMUM account and the coupons / offers page I found plenty of offers / coupons on hand, all I had to do was LOAD the ones I wanted (in my case there were 14)

ADD - Checked in with Spouse's Card (separate account) and they too have 14
Nov 25, 2013
34 posts
12 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 1:49 pm
I believe something has changed recently in how they mail out offers / coupons.

I've been virtually getting nothing as well... However when I log into / click thru to MY SHOPPERS OPTIMUM account and the coupons / offers page I found plenty of offers / coupons on hand, all I had to do was LOAD the ones I wanted (in my case there were 14)

ADD - Checked in with Spouse's Card (separate account) and they too have 14
Nope I logged in online and I still only see 3 coupons.
Nov 3, 2016
57 posts
34 upvotes
jaye23 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:15 pm
Nope I logged in online and I still only see 3 coupons.
That happened to me too, four weeks ago I believe. For two weeks I had only 3 coupons, and they were for odd things that I never normally buy. Also had no 'personalized' email offers, like 'get 10x the points if you spend $50 on Wednesday', which I used to get all the time. It was as if I had just signed up and they had no idea what my shopping patterns were like. Then everything went back to normal and I've had my usual 12-13 coupons for the past couple of weeks. System glitch maybe?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
Adelie wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 9:20 pm
That happened to me too, four weeks ago I believe. For two weeks I had only 3 coupons, and they were for odd things that I never normally buy. Also had no 'personalized' email offers, like 'get 10x the points if you spend $50 on Wednesday', which I used to get all the time. It was as if I had just signed up and they had no idea what my shopping patterns were like. Then everything went back to normal and I've had my usual 12-13 coupons for the past couple of weeks. System glitch maybe?
same...they had a failure at the end of July and it took them 2-3 weeks to sort that out...then the 3 offers at a time came...they seem to be always hacking at this system and I imagine they are trying to prepare it so they can merge the PC+ and Optimum programs together.
Jul 11, 2008
430 posts
93 upvotes
I know you can't combine spend x amount and get x multiple in points offers. What about the birthday (get 4k pts on next purchase). Can I combine it with a spend $75 get 18,500 pts offer? If i have both offers loaded and spend over 75 before tax, will I get both the 18500 + 4000 pts?
Sep 5, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Just filled out a painful survey about loyalty rewards programs. Really was not happy with all of the questions regarding merging PC plus and Optimum.

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1171 posts
204 upvotes
I have a question about using a spend $20 and get 15X coupon and a $1 off milk coupon together.

So let's say my total before the milk coupon is applied is $20 and the reduces to $19 owing. Will I still get the 20X points?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1260 posts
729 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 12:09 pm
I have a question about using a spend $20 and get 15X coupon and a $1 off milk coupon together.

So let's say my total before the milk coupon is applied is $20 and the reduces to $19 owing. Will I still get the 20X points?
A lot of changes has been done to earning Optimum points.

It used to be able to stack two or more coupons for bonus points but SDM/Pharmaprix woke up and only 'highest points' are awarded.
I have some experiences on such cases so I am beginning to spread out (separate) the purchases for bonus points.
Example:
1. $30 over 15x pts
2. 20x points on milk

milk $10
others $30
The calculated pts is 40x15=6k
not
10 x 20 for milk 2k
30 x 15 for others 4.5k

It automatically cancels the milk coupon on that single transaction if you loaded both coupons on your account.

Be careful if you cancel the whole transaction(purchase), all coupons that were loaded are un-usable.
:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:

I am only RESPONSIBLE for what I say NOT for what you understand