Shopping Discussion

"Official" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 12:46 pm
Oct 12, 2011
38 posts
7 upvotes
I have a question as a novice Optimum Points collector. Does Shoppers ever give out 20x point coupons on Senior Discount days? Also if I am correct Senior Discount days are every Thursday?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2032 posts
1043 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 7:48 pm
any clue when the next Bonus Redemption is happening?
There is one this Saturday & Sunday (Black Friday Weekend)

The one after that... anyone’s guess

Sometimes they’ve had one in the Winter (February / March) but with the PC Optimum Merger slated for February 1st... who knows?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1522 posts
432 upvotes
BMDJag wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 8:24 pm
I have a question as a novice Optimum Points collector. Does Shoppers ever give out 20x point coupons on Senior Discount days? Also if I am correct Senior Discount days are every Thursday?

Thanks
I have never seen 20x on a Seniors Day. However, there are often personalized offers with $ amounts that are all week. I have "18,500 Bonus Points when you spend $100"
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2032 posts
1043 upvotes
akaManny wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 9:26 am
I have never seen 20x on a Seniors Day. However, there are often personalized offers with $ amounts that are all week. I have "18,500 Bonus Points when you spend $100"
This

If you sign up for emails from SDM Optimum they’ll send you personalized offers / coupons that you can load to your card

I get a 20x the Points Offer about every 7 to 10 Days... sometimes good for a day, sometimes the whole week

If you have a 20x the Points Offer on what is also Seniors Day, then it should certainly work

NOTES -
(a) Seniors Day gives 20% Off on select merchandise (think it is full price stuff only). Read the fine print
(b) Coupon Offers are not automatic... in that you have to physically load them to your card
(c) You need to make sure BEFORE you shop that you don’t have 2 percentage coupons or Spend $ X Get Y Points loaded at the same time (ie one for Thursday, and one for the whole week). It is my experience that the system will default out, and you may not get the one you wanted / preferred. Easy fix for this, is to move any you don’t want to use on this Shopping Trip to the UNLOADED Category, you can always move them back to LOADED later (until they expire). Lol, have been known to change my mind while in store (looking to spend more than I anticipated) and use my Smart Phone & SDM Optimum App to move these coupons around again before I got to the Cash.
Nov 11, 2016
183 posts
100 upvotes
Halifax
I received some large points offer for Black friday but I don't know the cost of the items. Did anyone buy the Belgian biscuits or ariana grande perfume ?
Dec 8, 2008
17 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
I bought the Belgian Chocolate biscuits. They were $9.99 each. Had to throw in some butter to get the bill over $20 to get 15x points wub $20 offer. So $23.97 OOP. 11,450 SDM points and 2 hostess gifts looked after.
Oct 12, 2011
38 posts
7 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 12:02 pm
This

If you sign up for emails from SDM Optimum they’ll send you personalized offers / coupons that you can load to your card

I get a 20x the Points Offer about every 7 to 10 Days... sometimes good for a day, sometimes the whole week

If you have a 20x the Points Offer on what is also Seniors Day, then it should certainly work

NOTES -
(a) Seniors Day gives 20% Off on select merchandise (think it is full price stuff only). Read the fine print
(b) Coupon Offers are not automatic... in that you have to physically load them to your card
(c) You need to make sure BEFORE you shop that you don’t have 2 percentage coupons or Spend $ X Get Y Points loaded at the same time (ie one for Thursday, and one for the whole week). It is my experience that the system will default out, and you may not get the one you wanted / preferred. Easy fix for this, is to move any you don’t want to use on this Shopping Trip to the UNLOADED Category, you can always move them back to LOADED later (until they expire). Lol, have been known to change my mind while in store (looking to spend more than I anticipated) and use my Smart Phone & SDM Optimum App to move these coupons around again before I got to the Cash.
Thanks guys!
Oct 12, 2011
38 posts
7 upvotes
Another question. Is there some trick to get 15x or 20x coupons? I was getting them every week but this week I was really hoping for one but it never showed up.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2032 posts
1043 upvotes
BMDJag wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:25 am
Another question. Is there some trick to get 15x or 20x coupons? I was getting them every week but this week I was really hoping for one but it never showed up.

Thanks
RE- Personalized Bonus Offers

No they are totally random.

Sometimes they come every week... sometimes they don’t

Lol, maybe we should give SDM a break eh... been a busy few weeks for them what with the PC Optimum Announcement, the Electronics Sale, the Bonus Points Redemption Event, and of course Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sales

ADD - Did a quick flyer check... think I may have your answer... SDM has a 20x the Points Event running this Saturday when you spend $ 75+
Oct 12, 2011
38 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks, I figured it was random but thought I would ask. I know about the 20x weekend but in my case I was hoping to get a 15x-20x coupon to get the Ps4 Pro that is on sale. Unfortunately that ends tomorrow which is too late. Oh well.

Did anyone get a 15 or 20x this week?

Thanks again.
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:49 am
RE- Personalized Bonus Offers

No they are totally random.

Sometimes they come every week... sometimes they don’t

Lol, maybe we should give SDM a break eh... been a busy few weeks for them what with the PC Optimum Announcement, the Electronics Sale, the Bonus Points Redemption Event, and of course Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sales

ADD - Did a quick flyer check... think I may have your answer... SDM has a 20x the Points Event running this Saturday when you spend $ 75+
Nov 30, 2017
1 posts
If I have several offers for example :
Life brand acetaminophen- 4500 points
Pc granola bars -500 points
Quo cotton swabs- 1000 points
Toilet bowl cleaner -15x points
And also a 20x points when spend $50 ...
will it be
6000x 20= 120,000
Plus 15x +20x points on the toilet bowl cleaner?

I’m so confused which coupons actually stack and can be combined. Especially since the 20x coupon says it cannot be combined with any other points etc. I need to use this coupon tomorrow, hopefully someone knows the answer.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4211 posts
1188 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Jumpingin wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:29 am
If I have several offers for example :
Life brand acetaminophen- 4500 points
Pc granola bars -500 points
Quo cotton swabs- 1000 points
Toilet bowl cleaner -15x points
And also a 20x points when spend $50 ...
will it be
6000x 20= 120,000
Plus 15x +20x points on the toilet bowl cleaner?

I’m so confused which coupons actually stack and can be combined. Especially since the 20x coupon says it cannot be combined with any other points etc. I need to use this coupon tomorrow, hopefully someone knows the answer.
"20x" is relative to the base points, not promo points. If you spend a $50 subtotal, you'd get 500 base points. On a 20x event, you'd get an additional 9500 promo points (500*19) for a total of 10,000 points, which is 20x the normal points. Your individual offers should stack to that on an additive basis.

$50 spend @ 20x = 10,000
+4,500
+500
+1,000
======16,000 points

I'm not sure if the 15x on the toilet bowl cleaner would be superseded by the 20x. Maybe not. I haven't combined two offers like that before.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:19 am
I'm not sure if the 15x on the toilet bowl cleaner would be superseded by the 20x. Maybe not. I haven't combined two offers like that before.
You would get both so a total 35x on the toilet stuff and 20x on everything else.
Aug 23, 2010
208 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
BMDJag wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:25 am

Thanks
Same thing happening to me. I haven't gotten a 15x or 20x weekly coupon for a month now. It's always spend $15 get 2000 or spend $20 get 3000.
Jan 18, 2008
39 posts
1 upvote
What happens if I need to return something bought using points only? Do they give me a gift card for the refund? Or does it depend on the store?