Shopping Discussion

"Official" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:40 am
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1239 posts
225 upvotes
So is it generally accepted that you should not load coupons that don't interest you? Will that make it less likely to have those coupons sent to you again?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:44 pm
So is it generally accepted that you should not load coupons that don't interest you? Will that make it less likely to have those coupons sent to you again?
With SDM Optimum i don’t think it matters a whole lot... Coupons come in great volumes no matter what. And with soooo many different products that do different things on the shelves in my experience repetition is not a problem. Coupons on offer under the SDM Optimum* Program are much like paper coupons from the past, a Manufacturer uses them to promote their products... except now they are delivered directly to you, and our do not have to search for them, or clip them.

The one exception with the SDM Optimum Program is you don’t want to load coupons together that can bump each other... so just have 1 Coupon at a time loaded for Spend $ X get Y Points... or... Total Purchase Points Multipliers (ie 20x)

When you have 2 or more of these BOTTOM LINE Bonus Coupons loaded to your account, you may not get the one you wish for... so make sure the one that is most advantageous to that trip / Spend is the one loaded. You can load or unload any coupon of your choosing when logged into your account (however many times you wish) either via your smartphone, computer or other device. Load and use the 20x the Points today, Load & Use the Spend $ 20 Get 3000 Points tomorrow.

Example: out of the 2 Coupons above... IF today you are going to spend $ 100 then the 20x the Points is far more advantageous than to just getting 3000 Points... so don’t have both loaded at the same time!

Coupons / Offers at PC Plus currently run different than at SDM Optimum. The bulk of them are set to present the items you buy most often or similar items they think you’d like in addition to some well marketed PR Coupons (ie Pepsi Products for SuperBowl). So with PC Plus it matters a lot more if you swipe a coupon on the PC Plus App to DELETE / Don’t show me again.

* PC OPTIMUM... once the NEW Program rolls out, I am guessing a lot of the good bits from SDM Optimum will remain... but I am also guessing there will be more customized coupons ala PC Plus set to how you Shop / your interests.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1542 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
minimalist wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:44 pm
They moreso generate coupons based on what you buy, imo

Which sucks sometimes b/c most of the time, I ended buying say, generic Tylenol and then the next week, I get a coupon for it but I can't use it because I just bought 500
Last edited by john.canad on Dec 3rd, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1542 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:27 am

The one exception with the SDM Optimum Program is you don’t want to load coupons together that can bump each other... so just have 1 Coupon at a time loaded for Spend $ X get Y Points... or... Total Purchase Points Multipliers (ie 20x)

When you have 2 or more of these BOTTOM LINE Bonus Coupons loaded to your account, you may not get the one you wish for... so make sure the one that is most advantageous to that trip / Spend is the one loaded. You can load or unload any coupon of your choosing when logged into your account (however many times you wish) either via your smartphone, computer or other device. Load and use the 20x the Points today, Load & Use the Spend $ 20 Get 3000 Points tomorrow.
Actually, their system is smart enough to use the coupon that gives you higher value even if you have multiple ones loaded
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:02 am
Actually, their system is smart enough to use the coupon that gives you higher value even if you have multiple ones loaded
I think that you’d find there are many past posts on RFD to prove that theory wrong.

If you have a 20x a point coupon loaded for the week, but a lesser one that says Friday Only... and it’s Friday... you are going to get the Friday Coupon.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:12 am
I think that you’d find there are many past posts on RFD to prove that theory wrong.

If you have a 20x a point coupon loaded for the week, but a lesser one that says Friday Only... and it’s Friday... you are going to get the Friday Coupon.
That's not true.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1542 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:12 am

That's the thing, in the past, this was an issue, but in the last 6-12 months, their system has been updated to use the highest value coupon

But obviously you can play it safe and just load the coupon you wish to use
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1958 posts
1024 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:27 am
That's the thing, in the past, this was an issue, but in the last 6-12 months, their system has been updated to use the highest value coupon

But obviously you can play it safe and just load the coupon you wish to use
I definitely play it safe now all the time after getting burned in the past (so have not put myself into a situation where I have a multitude of BOTTOM LINE Coupons loaded at the same time, learned that lesson the hard way)

But for sure there are others here on RFD who have reported similar booboos in 2017.

If SDM has fixed this issue on their computers that would be great news.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1239 posts
225 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:43 pm
Can we stack this 4,000 points on $15 of Brands You Love coupon with a "3000 pts when you spend $20 on anything" coupon?
Does anyone know the answer to this? Am going shopping this afternoon.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1542 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 2:49 am
I definitely play it safe now all the time after getting burned in the past (so have not put myself into a situation where I have a multitude of BOTTOM LINE Coupons loaded at the same time, learned that lesson the hard way)

But for sure there are others here on RFD who have reported similar booboos in 2017.

If SDM has fixed this issue on their computers that would be great news.
Just for data purposes then, SDM has used the coupon with the best value when multiple coupons are loaded in my case
Dec 8, 2008
17 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote:
Can we stack this 4,000 points on $15 of Brands You Love coupon with a "3000 pts when you spend $20 on anything" coupon?
No. Offers that say "when you spend" do not stack.
Last edited by marmalade12 on Dec 3rd, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 9, 2017
162 posts
63 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:24 am
Does anyone know the answer to this? Am going shopping this afternoon.
My only experience with this particular stack attempt was:
I got the 4,000 point for the $15 and
I got the equivalent of 3,000 points on $20 prorated for $5, which works out to another 750 points.
So 4,750 points total.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1446 posts
213 upvotes
i rmember when we had printed coupons! those were better cuz u cud STACK it if the cashier was willing to scan all of them! it sometimes says the last 4 digits of card but most cashier don't look that hard :D
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1239 posts
225 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
The points for this coupon are supposed to be given on your receipt right? And it's any combination of No Name, PC, Life, etc. brands totalling a min. of $15?

I spent over $15 on No Name and PC products today and had the coupon loaded but didn't get the 4K bonus points. Didn't get my 4K birthday bonus points either that were loaded. Actually didn't get any bonus points at all on this transaction-just the regular 190 pts. I've emailed Optimum to complain.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1239 posts
225 upvotes
KellyM133398 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:06 pm
My only experience with this particular stack attempt was:
I got the 4,000 point for the $15 and
I got the equivalent of 3,000 points on $20 prorated for $5, which works out to another 750 points.
So 4,750 points total.
minimalist wrote:
I tried to stack the "Brands you Love 4000 pts on $15 spend" coupon with a "3000 pts when you spend $20 on anything" coupon" today. I only got the 4000 pts for "Brands You Love" so they're not stackable (even partially). I was also able to use my $1 off milk coupon, though.

A few other observations:

1. It appears that my SDM is mistakenly charging GST (I'm in BC) on strange grocery items like cornstarch and cereal. Not sure what is causing this but the items have a "G" beside them on the receipt and GST is being applied to items that are clearly tax free grocery items.

2. It appears that you earn points on the full price of an item when the item has a "Manager's Coupon". A "Manager's Coupon" is one of those $3 off, for example, sticker coupons that SDM puts on the front of items that are due to expire soon. I had such a coupon for $3 off a $3.99 item and got the pts based on $3.99.