• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 2:09 pm
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
annexguy wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 5:10 pm
hi, I have 99000 optimum points ( $175 value) now.
The Optimum APP says it could be 177,158 PC optimum points( $177.16 value) after conversion of Feb/01.

shall I spend all optimum points before conversion?
You can only redeem 95000 ($170) which would leave you with 4000 that would convert to 5000 ($5). So the difference between doing this and converting all 99000 is a less than whopping $2.16. If you come across an appealing redemption possibility before the end of Jan., keep in mind that the opportunity cost associated with taking it would only be said $2.16. Personally, that's not enough to stop me from redeeming, but of course, YMMV.
Jun 23, 2008
397 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 6:03 pm
FACT

What you actually have CURRENTLY under the SDM Optimum Program is 99,000 Points worth
95,000 Points = $ 170, and
4,000 Points = $ 0 ... as you need 8,000 Points to get to the $ 10 Redemption Mark

The max you can cash in under the CURRENT SDM Optimum Program is 95,000 = $ 170 on any single transaction
Any thing else remains in your SDM Optimum Account, and starts back at the bottom tier

Under the NEW PC Optimum Program coming February 1st, your entire 99,000 Points will Convert at the highest SDM Tier Level
(Which Offers the most favourable rate of Points value per point)

So based on the PC Optimum calculator those 99,000 SDM Points will become 177,158 PC Points
Which is worth $ 177.16 in Dollars
ALTHOUGH... one can only cash out PC Plus / PC Optimum Points In $ 10 increments
So right now you’d have $ 170 in Cash & 7,158 in Points remaining in your account

Under PC Optimum, the minimum Cash Out is $ 10, and the maximum Cash Out is $ 500 in a single transaction

So, as you can see your SDM Optimum Points above 95,000 are worth a lot more in the future PC OPTIMUM Program than they are now

Hold em & roll em I say
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

EDIT / ADD = Remember too that when PC Optimum starts you’ll have more opportunities to both earn & redeem at both chains
And the SDM base earn goes from 10 Points on the $ 1 ... to 15 Points on the $ 1
Tks.
Many groceries' price in SDM higher than Loblaws or No frills. So same amount of points have more purchasing power there after conversion.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
annexguy wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 7:20 pm
Tks.
Many groceries' price in SDM higher than Loblaws or No frills. So same amount of points have more purchasing power there after conversion.
Yes
PC OPTIMUM Points will be useable at SDM as well as all the grocery stores that Loblaws Group owns / operates
(a long list of brands in the Toronto / GTA area, where your RFD Profile says you are from)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1677 posts
346 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:48 pm
I tried to stack the "Brands you Love 4000 pts on $15 spend" coupon with a "3000 pts when you spend $20 on anything" coupon" today. I only got the 4000 pts for "Brands You Love" so they're not stackable (even partially). I was also able to use my $1 off milk coupon, though.
Just an update on this failed stack from earlier this month. Called Optimum CS to see if they can give the me 3000 pts that I didn't receive for spending $20. Was told that I cannot qualify for these because I got the 4000 pts "Brands You Love" points on the same transaction. So apparently you cannot stack a "Brands You Love" 4000 pt coupon with any "Spend X get Y pts".

I hope that I can stack my "Brands You Love" coupon with 15X pts on PC frozen food (burgers) today. Was told by CS that will work but saw a RFD who posted earlier today that they didn't get the 4000 pts.

I find I'm contacting CS so often for missing pts. I hope that goes away with the Feb. 1 merger. PC Plus is working much better/smoother than Optimum for me...
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite apply

-Simple 2% cold hard cash on everything/no caps, VISA acceptance

-48 day Ins/Trip Cancel/Price Protect

-$120 AF. 60K income, 25K spend, 250K invest (ON, members only)

discuss here
Dec 8, 2008
73 posts
26 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 5:11 pm
So does that mean that you consider the "favourite brands-spend $15 get 4000 points" a "bottom line coupon"?

Last week we were discussing how I used one of those together with a "3000 pts when you spend $20 on anything" and I only got 4000 pts.
When your offer says "points when you SPEND" it will not combine with another "When you SPEND" offer. It will combine with "when you buy a product" offer.

So 3000 when you spend $20 will not combine with a 4000 when you spend $15 on Life products.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1677 posts
346 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:36 am
That's weird, I got both bonus points
marmalade12 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 5:20 pm
When your offer says "points when you SPEND" it will not combine with another "When you SPEND" offer. It will combine with "when you buy a product" offer.

So 3000 when you spend $20 will not combine with a 4000 when you spend $15 on Life products.
Yabbut @john.canad upthread said that he was able to get both offers.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite apply

-Simple 2% cold hard cash on everything/no caps, VISA acceptance

-48 day Ins/Trip Cancel/Price Protect

-$120 AF. 60K income, 25K spend, 250K invest (ON, members only)

discuss here
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
minimalist wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 6:59 pm
Yabbut @john.canad upthread said that he was able to get both offers.
Caveat emptor. The rules aren't always the same. For instance, it has been reported here that 20x on milk used to apply to every bag you bought until a few months ago when it changed to one bag no matter if you buy more.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3162 posts
819 upvotes
QC
Slow clap for me that just bought an Xbox one x and forgot to use points... On the phone to see if my points can be credited...
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
jfmartel wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:04 am
Slow clap for me that just bought an Xbox one x and forgot to use points... On the phone to see if my points can be credited...
Maybe you can return and re-buy?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3162 posts
819 upvotes
QC
Jonric wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 12:43 pm
Maybe you can return and re-buy?
Had to call SDM first to keep the x20 I had. They put a note in my account so they can give me the points back. Took about 45 minutes on the phone.
Jan 7, 2006
415 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
If you have fewer than the 95,000 Optimum points needed to get the top conversion rate, you may want to team up with a friend/family member to achieve that level. Makes both your points worth more! (You can gift Optimum points to any other Optimum member, no charge.)
Jan 7, 2006
415 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I'm wondering whether, when they link PC and Optimum on Feb 1, there will be any issue linking multiple Optimum accounts to a single PC account. Our family has two Optimum (both with lots of points) but only one PC.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
rrraven wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:21 pm
If you have fewer than the 95,000 Optimum points needed to get the top conversion rate, you may want to team up with a friend/family member to achieve that level. Makes both your points worth more! (You can gift Optimum points to any other Optimum member, no charge.)
Definitely would work with family members... perhaps not so much with friends. Cause once the Optimum Points roll over on February 1st to PC Optimum Points they’ll just be in one account, where transfers would be far more difficult / impossible (see below)
rrraven wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:23 pm
I'm wondering whether, when they link PC and Optimum on Feb 1, there will be any issue linking multiple Optimum accounts to a single PC account. Our family has two Optimum (both with lots of points) but only one PC.
Optimum Accounts will disappear after the rollover on February 1st

Members / Family Members with more than one account are being encouraged to combine their Optimum Points into one account in January... BEFORE the rollover

Of course the advantage is, the more Points, the higher the value of those points on Rollover Day.

Info so far says that multiple PC Optimum Accounts for family members (supposedly at the same home address) will be able to pool Points. One person will act as the Account Spokesperson / final word.

Info on these issues can be found PC OPTIMUM Website = www.pcoptimum.ca

As well as on the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM thread that is dedicated to the NEW PC Optimum Program
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/shopper ... 8-2140873/

* NOTE - That thread starts BEFORE the Official Announcement, so the first few pages have a lot of rumour & speculation vs FACTS. But the further you go into the topic the better the info & analysis / Discussion
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
rrraven wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:23 pm
While I'm not following the news as closely as some people, I don't think your question has been specifically answered.

However, my understanding is that if you want to have all your Opt points placed into a single PC Opt account, you can transfer all the points in one of your Opt accounts into the other one before the end of the month. Then, you can combine the Opt account that has all the points plus your existing PC account into one new PC Opt account.

Presumably, if you don't want to lose the purchase history on your second Opt account (the emptied out one), you will have to get a second PC Opt account, either after the change-over or by opening a new PC account before month end.

I'm hoping we'll see more info in the near future on the specifics of how the change to PC Opt will actually be implemented so that we won't have to speculate (as much).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:39 am
While I'm not following the news as closely as some people, I don't think your question has been specifically answered.

However, my understanding is that if you want to have all your Opt points placed into a single PC Opt account, you can transfer all the points in one of your Opt accounts into the other one before the end of the month. Then, you can combine the Opt account that has all the points plus your existing PC account into one new PC Opt account.

Presumably, if you don't want to lose the purchase history on your second Opt account (the emptied out one), you will have to get a second PC Opt account, either after the change-over or by opening a new PC account before month end.

I'm hoping we'll see more info in the near future on the specifics of how the change to PC Opt will actually be implemented so that we won't have to speculate (as much).
You got most of it right...

New info coming out all the time,
Just check out the PC OPTIMUM Website www.pcoptimum.ca (especially the FAQs)

There is also this very informative LIVE Chat Video from the Presidents Choice Facebook pg
https://www.facebook.com/presidentschoi ... =2&theater

PS.. under PC Optimum you can only have one account per person
Hence why they are telling folks to combine / transfer their Optimum Points into one account in January... otherwise the extra account points “could be” forfeited
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 5th, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)