Shopping Discussion

Locked: "Official" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 2:09 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4088 posts
1369 upvotes
You open a PC Optimum account and then you can hook up as many (PC+, Optimum, PC MC) cards as you want to it.

If you have an Optimum account with a zero balance you can still link it to your new PC Optimum card (and this save the purchase history)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1677 posts
346 upvotes
Didn't get 10X pts for "Any PC Frozen Food" when I got PC Burgers today. I did however get the 4000 pts for spending at least $15 on PC brands. Will have to call in. I feel like I"m calling in every week recently for missing points...

Update: Called in and got the missing points. Why can't SDM Optimum get their act together? Wish the program were smoother like PC Plus and could submit points missing claims via app instead of calling... Let's see if things improve Feb.1.
Last edited by minimalist on Jan 5th, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite apply

-Simple 2% cold hard cash on everything/no caps, VISA acceptance

-48 day Ins/Trip Cancel/Price Protect

-$120 AF. 60K income, 25K spend, 250K invest (ON, members only)

discuss here
Jan 19, 2017
742 posts
220 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:02 am
You got most of it right...

New info coming out all the time,
Just check out the PC OPTIMUM Website www.pcoptimum.ca (especially the FAQs)

There is also this very informative LIVE Chat Video from the Presidents Choice Facebook pg
https://www.facebook.com/presidentschoi ... =2&theater

PS.. under PC Optimum you can only have one account per person
Hence why they are telling folks to combine / transfer their Optimum Points into one account in January... otherwise the extra account points “could be” forfeited
where does it say that : 'PS.. under PC Optimum you can only have one account per person. Hence why they are telling folks to combine / transfer their Optimum Points into one account in January... otherwise the extra account points “could be” forfeited'
Dec 8, 2008
73 posts
26 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 7:59 pm
Didn't get 10X pts for "Any PC Frozen Food" when I got PC Burgers today. I did however get the 4000 pts for spending at least $15 on PC brands. Will have to call in. I feel like I"m calling in every week recently for missing points...

Update: Called in and got the missing points. Why can't SDM Optimum get their act together? Wish the program were smoother like PC Plus and could submit points missing claims via app instead of calling... Let's see if things improve Feb.1.
I always use the "contact" on the SDM site and email. Don't get an instant response but always get a response and the points. Less aggravating than the phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1677 posts
346 upvotes
marmalade12 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 4:54 pm
I always use the "contact" on the SDM site and email. Don't get an instant response but always get a response and the points. Less aggravating than the phone.
Thanks but last time I emailed them they still haven't replied or corrected even after one month or so.
Alterna Savings Visa Infinite apply

-Simple 2% cold hard cash on everything/no caps, VISA acceptance

-48 day Ins/Trip Cancel/Price Protect

-$120 AF. 60K income, 25K spend, 250K invest (ON, members only)

discuss here
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
marmalade12 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 4:54 pm
I almost always phone. I do so when I'm at my PC doing something that can be interrupted (e.g. surfing, e-mail, watching a video, etc.) so when I have to wait to speak with someone, I'm doing something I would have been doing anyway. Less aggravating than composing an e-mail and waiting much longer for a reply than I've ever had to on the phone. ;p
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:42 am
where does it say that : 'PS.. under PC Optimum you can only have one account per person. Hence why they are telling folks to combine / transfer their Optimum Points into one account in January... otherwise the extra account points “could be” forfeited'
The Terms & Conditions for the NEW PC Optimum Program are here
https://www.pcoptimum.ca/company-policy ... conditions

Everyone will have to sign / agree to the T&Cs when they get their NEW PC Optimum Accounts / Cards

Under the NEW Program you’ll be able to set up Households... where those who live in the same household can share earning & redeeming. But still only one card per member (same as exists now in the PC Plus Program).

To maximize the Conversion Rates on SDM Optimum Points (More Points equals better value per point) it makes sense to transfer points between members in the same house (ie Husband & Wife / Wife’s 2nd Card) into one SDM Optimum Account now (before the end of January)

The forfeiting statement comes from 2 sources

1- Those members in Quebec who shop at Pharmaprix (if they don’t personally take action to transfer their Optimum Points into the NEW Program in a timely fashion)
and
2- Under the NEW T&Cs if one is found to be operating outside of the parameters of the program (ie one person with 2 PC Optimum Accounts)

EDIT - Fixed link
Dec 8, 2008
73 posts
26 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:46 pm
Thanks but last time I emailed them they still haven't replied or corrected even after one month or so.
Something wrong there. I always get an email and the points in 2 days (once 3 days).
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1073 posts
104 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
any way to fast track and get the pc optimum card before they go public?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:37 pm
any way to fast track and get the pc optimum card before they go public?
Not that I have seen

Rollover Day is February 1st for everyone

At that point in time you can swap out your cards in store with the Cashier
(Although still not clear if the Member will have to visit BOTH a Loblaws Group Store & SDM)

And anyone ENTIRELY NEW, can sign up then too
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 4:42 pm
At that point in time you can swap out your cards in store with the Cashier
(Although still not clear if the Member will have to visit BOTH a Loblaws Group Store & SDM)
It hasn't been stated explicitly afaik, but if I have a PC+ and an Optimum account that I combine into a a single PCOpt account, I will only need one new card, so I assume I can get it by visiting one store on either the SDM or the grocery side. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I have to go to one on each side?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:21 pm
It hasn't been stated explicitly afaik, but if I have a PC+ and an Optimum account that I combine into a a single PCOpt account, I will only need one new card, so I assume I can get it by visiting one store on either the SDM or the grocery side. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I have to go to one on each side?
Ya, the process has not be laid out yet ... so right now just SPECULATION

As I see it, It could go either of 2 ways

Let’s look at how SDM handled their change in Optimum Cards a few years back.

You got to the cashier... they swiped your old card (red one), then they swiped the new card (white one)
Accounts & Points transferred instantly
The cashier handed you back the NEW White Card

I imagine this is how it will go with PC Optimum

SCENARIO 1

You go into SDM... you hand them your OLD SDM Optimum Card and they swipe it and hand you back a NEW PC Optimum Card
(SDM Optimum Points Transferred to your NEW PC Optimum Account / Card)

You go into a Loblaws Group Store ... you hand them your OLD PC Plus Card AND your NEW PC Optimum Card and they swipe them both, and hand you back your PC Optimum Card
(PC Plus Points Transferred to your PC Optimum Account / Card)

OR...

Both Chains are somehow linked* ... and you only have to give one Cashier BOTH your SDM Optimum Card & your PC Plus Card to be swiped, and they hand you back the NEW PC Optimum Card

* in reality linking up two very different computer programs JUST TO EXECUTE THIS ASPECT OF THE ROLLOVER IS VERY UNLIKELY

SCENARIO 2

You go into either a SDM Store or a Loblaws Group Store, you pick up a NEW PC Optimum Card
You then have to go to a website to register that card / account
And they merge

* the downfall to this is exactly the same as the second part of SCENARIO 1 ... too much programming for just one action
With the Consumer having to do the actual leg work of going into both stores, it means

(A) Both computer systems don’t actually have to be merged... they only have to be programmed to recognize the NEW PC Optimum Cards, and ADD Points onto that account, and at the same time close the old one

(B) Consumers who only shop at one chain ... still don’t have to go to the other

(C) Consumers who never get around to going to both stores & presenting their cards at each (forgot) never get their points merged from the store they never go

(D) Consumers will visit both stores (some whether they currently have both cards or not) and that for a Retailer IS A BIG DEAL... cause once you are in the store... the more likely you are to shop there / spend money

So ya my bets are entirely on Scenario 1... this Rollover will look very much like the one that SDM did with their cards / Accounts a few years back
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4088 posts
1369 upvotes
My understanding was that old PC+ cards are converted to new PC Optimum cards in store and the balance is transferred automatically, but old Optimum cards are linked to a PC Optimum card online in order for the balance to be transferred (nothing automatic).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:49 pm
My understanding was that old PC+ cards are converted to new PC Optimum cards in store and the balance is transferred automatically, but old Optimum cards are linked to a PC Optimum card online in order for the balance to be transferred (nothing automatic).
Ya could certainly be interpreted that way too...

From the SDM OPTIMUM FAQ PAGE
QUESTION - What do I have to do to convert my Shoppers Optimum and/or PC points to PC Optimum points

ANSWER -
Make sure you hold on to your Shoppers Optimum and / or PC Plus cards until you have successfully linked them to a new PC Optimum account.

When the PC Optimum program launches, your points will automatically become PC Optimum points. Then, the next time you shop, the cashier will ask you to swap your existing Shoppers Optimum and/or PC Plus card for a PC Optimum card so you can continue to earn and spend your points.

On February 1st, you will also be able to get started by downloading the app or creating an online account and following the prompts on screen to link the points from your current card(s). You can link your Shoppers Optimum, PC Plus and PC Financial Mastercard ® into one account.

You will be guided through the linking process for your existing loyalty programs to have all your points in one PC Optimum account.

If after you complete the linking online and still wish to get a plastic version of the PC Optimum card, you can do so by swapping your Shoppers Optimum or PC Plus card at the checkout at any participating store.

If you have an email address associated with your Shoppers Optimum or PC Plus account, we will send you an email once the program launches to get you started.
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
From the SDM OPTIMUM FAQ PAGE
If after you complete the linking online and still wish to get a plastic version of the PC Optimum card, you can do so by swapping your Shoppers Optimum or PC Plus card at the checkout at any participating store.
It looks from this as if linking your PC and Opt accounts into a new PCO one is done online, and that if you want a plastic card after doing so, you only have to go to one store on either side.

The change to PCO isn't apples to apples with the Opt one. That was for one program, not two. And isn't SDM under new management now?

Also, while you haven't stated any, there are undoubtedly arguments for making PCO a single-system program. Maybe Loblaws' execs weighed them more heavily than you do. Let's remember as well that we're talking about a huge corporation, one that wouldn't necessarily choose the lower cost option between making PCO a true single system instead of a front end that basically only reconciles the PCO points for the two current ones. It would depend on the relative costs and the perceived net benefits.

Admittedly, I'm not as fully informed as you are, but fwiw, my level of confidence atm in predicting the specifics of how PCO will be implemented doesn't appear comparable to yours.