Shopping Discussion

Locked: "Official" Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 2:09 pm
Nov 25, 2013
101 posts
47 upvotes
I don't have a PC points card so I'm wondering how often does the PC card has bonus points promos like shoppers (i.e. 20x, 18500 points for purchases over $75, or 16000 points for purchases over $60 - this one is rare). Anyone knows?

If they don't have as much bonus points events, perhaps I should load up some purchases and stock up on SDM points prior to conversion.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4616 posts
2472 upvotes
jaye23 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:10 am
I don't have a PC points card so I'm wondering how often does the PC card has bonus points promos like shoppers (i.e. 20x, 18500 points for purchases over $75, or 16000 points for purchases over $60 - this one is rare). Anyone knows?

If they don't have as much bonus points events, perhaps I should load up some purchases and stock up on SDM points prior to conversion.
Right now, the way POINTS & BONUS POINTS works at the two stores is different
(And probably won’t change much afterwards)

ONLY SDM Optimum gives Points on the BOTTOM LINE Total Spent
(Currently 10 Points per $ 1... will be 15 Points per $ 1 after February 1st Merger)

BOTH Programs Offer Flyer Item Bonus Points

BOTH Programs may have Unadvertised / Mgr Specials... Items with Bonus Points

BOTH Programs have personalized loadable Offers where you earn Bonus Points if you buy those items

ONLY SDM has Points Multipliers... either on individual items or the Bottom Line

INSTEAD... PC Plus Plus has Offers can be structured so they can be stacked

Example # 1
You have several Personal Offers for Fruits & Veggies
And the store has a Bonus Offer for 2,000 Points when you spend $ 20 on Produce
Depending on what you buy from your own Personal Offers, you could easily come away with 5,000 Points
5,000 Points = $ 5 value = 25% Back on $ 20 Spent

Example # 2
You have a Personal Bonus Offer of 3,000 Points for every $ 30 you Spend
You also have a Personal Offer for 200 Points for every $ 1 you Spend on chicken
Chicken happens to be on sale...
So you decide to stock up.
You Spend $ 30 on chicken and earn 3,000 + 6,000 = 9,000 Points
9,000 Points = $ 9 value = 30% Back on a $ 30 Spend

These types of stackable Points Offers come around in store every couple of months
The Personal ones, are like every other Personal PC Offer ... the more you shop / buy the more & better offers you get

So the programs are different.
But then you don’t have the tiers that SDM has
So no waiting to get to the next level to cash in
As soon as you have the Minimum needed you can cash out in $ 10 increments
(The Minimum is currently $ 20 ... on February 1st it becomes $ 10)
The maximum cash out is $ 500 in one transaction

Under the NEW PC Optimum Program most things about the SDM Points side is to stay the same (if that’s what your worried about)
Likewise the PC Points side is going to stay pretty much the same as well

For more info check out the NEW PC Optimum Website = www.pcoptimum.ca

Or ask here again.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2673 posts
283 upvotes
A bit off topic but can someone help me understand how loaded coupons work?

If I load coupons onto my card, do I have to do anything else to use the electronic coupons? In other words, are all applicable coupons automatically applied?

I use an apple wallet entry of my Optimum card because it's fast. Otherwise I don't see the benefit of using the shoppers app as it would just be more clutter for limited benefit.

Thanks,
Aug 23, 2010
357 posts
280 upvotes
GTA
Never had this happen before. Anyone know if two product specific coupons will stack? I received today:

15x points on any PC Soda or Sparkling Beverage
AND
600 points on any PC or PC Blue Menu Sparkling Soda or Juice (4-6 PK)
Oct 14, 2017
523 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:01 am
In case it wasn't clear in this part of PointsHubby's post, SDM offers can stack too. For example, 500 points or 10x on say PC burgers will stack with the current 4k when you spend $15 Brands You Love offer.
Nov 29, 2017
853 posts
592 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:23 am

If I load coupons onto my card, do I have to do anything else to use the electronic coupons? In other words, are all applicable coupons automatically applied?

I use an apple wallet entry of my Optimum card because it's fast. Otherwise I don't see the benefit of using the shoppers app as it would just be more clutter for limited benefit.

Thanks,
Yup just make sure to scan your optimum card from whichever app, that’s it
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4616 posts
2472 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks,
Load & Go.

BUT be aware that Bottom Line Coupons wont stack (multipliers... or spend x get y)

So if there is a particular offer you are after, make sure you only have ONE of those loaded
(Coupons can be loaded / unloaded at any time, just by clicking them on / off)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2673 posts
283 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:12 pm
Load & Go.

BUT be aware that Bottom Line Coupons wont stack (multipliers... or spend x get y)

So if there is a particular offer you are after, make sure you only have ONE of those loaded
Thanks. That seems crazy dumb but this may have been the cause of my confusion in the past.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4616 posts
2472 upvotes
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 5:59 pm
Thanks. That seems crazy dumb but this may have been the cause of my confusion in the past.
You are not alone

We discussed this here quite a bit mid December... go back to Pg 26, and Post # 385 onwards in this topic

The primary thing is those offers that effect the BOTTOM LINE (and those that say “when you spend” = WUS Offers)

People get tricked up cause it is quite possible to have more than 1 Personal Offer of this type loaded onto your card (just unload it to pause it) OR the one on their card & the one instore.

Our SDM Optimum Card & App is linked ... so I always make a point to check the app just before heading to the cash to make sure I dom’t Have any conflicting WUS / BOTTOM LINE Offers... and position my loaded coupons to take advantage of the best deal based on what I have in my cart / about to spend
Oct 14, 2017
523 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
poorwingman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 5:59 pm
I won't swear that there are never any exceptions, but if you remember that offers containing the words "when you spend" don't stack with each other, you won't go wrong very often, if ever.
Nov 25, 2013
101 posts
47 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:01 am
Right now, the way POINTS & BONUS POINTS works at the two stores is different
(And probably won’t change much afterwards)

ONLY SDM Optimum gives Points on the BOTTOM LINE Total Spent
(Currently 10 Points per $ 1... will be 15 Points per $ 1 after February 1st Merger)

BOTH Programs Offer Flyer Item Bonus Points

BOTH Programs may have Unadvertised / Mgr Specials... Items with Bonus Points

BOTH Programs have personalized loadable Offers where you earn Bonus Points if you buy those items

ONLY SDM has Points Multipliers... either on individual items or the Bottom Line

Example # 1
You have several Personal Offers for Fruits & Veggies
And the store has a Bonus Offer for 2,000 Points when you spend $ 20 on Produce
Depending on what you buy from your own Personal Offers, you could easily come away with 5,000 Points
5,000 Points = $ 5 value = 25% Back on $ 20 Spent

Example # 2
You have a Personal Bonus Offer of 3,000 Points for every $ 30 you Spend
You also have a Personal Offer for 200 Points for every $ 1 you Spend on chicken
Chicken happens to be on sale...
So you decide to stock up.
You Spend $ 30 on chicken and earn 3,000 + 6,000 = 9,000 Points
9,000 Points = $ 9 value = 30% Back on a $ 30 Spend

These types of stackable Points Offers come around in store every couple of months
The Personal ones, are like every other Personal PC Offer ... the more you shop / buy the more & better offers you get

So the programs are different.
But then you don’t have the tiers that SDM has
So no waiting to get to the next level to cash in
As soon as you have the Minimum needed you can cash out in $ 10 increments
(The Minimum is currently $ 20 ... on February 1st it becomes $ 10)
The maximum cash out is $ 500 in one transaction

Under the NEW PC Optimum Program most things about the SDM Points side is to stay the same (if that’s what your worried about)
Likewise the PC Points side is going to stay pretty much the same as well

For more info check out the NEW PC Optimum Website = www.pcoptimum.ca

Or ask here again.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure they have the 20x points events or spend your points event, otherwise I would try to redeem as much right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4616 posts
2472 upvotes
jaye23 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:23 pm
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure they have the 20x points events or spend your points event, otherwise I would try to redeem as much right now.
The Loblaws Group (not SDM) has had Spend Your Points BONUS Events in the past... much like Shoppers but not nearly as often

The last one was at the end of June.

The maximum for that event was Spend 150,000 = $ 150 and get back 30,000 = $ 30 in Points

Consequently... I never let my PC Plus Account go below 150,000 Points

I will continue this practice when it becomes PC Optimum as well.
Dec 8, 2008
92 posts
35 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:12 pm

In my experience SDM always selects the best offer. I have never had to unclick an offer to get the one I wanted.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4616 posts
2472 upvotes
marmalade12 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:40 pm
In my experience SDM always selects the best offer. I have never had to unclick an offer to get the one I wanted.
No doubt... some people do report that, while others have had a different experience ... report that it did not happen for them.
In my case it reverted to the first one loaded not the one that was most advantageous to my earnings.

So... If you spent a whole lot of money by planning a visit around Offer x... but instead got Offer Y
You learn your lesson pretty quick (the hard way)
Easier to just click & unclick vs spending endless time trying to get SDM to fix it
(Something they were not keen to do)
Oct 14, 2017
523 posts
297 upvotes
GTA
marmalade12 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:40 pm
It's YMMV. What's supposed to happen doesn't always. Last week, I bought products that qualified for the $15 Brands You Love promo that gives 4k points, but the system applied my 2k WUS $10 offer. Other people also reported that BYL wasn't applied when it should have been. I also had the system use another incorrect offer several months ago.