• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2017 7:28 pm
Feb 3, 2015
895 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
mcfart wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 5:59 am
How's the LTE Reception on Freedom with this? I'm considering getting it tomorrow. I've heard that Sony devices can have bad/inconsistent LTE signals.
This phone is fast. But it's huge. The battery could nhave been better but it does the job. LTE does go in and out where you go underground abd goes 4g at times. But overall it's a solid phone. Even in a below ground basement it works great.
Feb 3, 2015
895 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 10:00 pm
The $5 mytab boost if you're in for the long haul. If you're gonna cancel a few days later, pay $0 upfront and get an AB number to minimize net device cost.

For cases, ordered some flip cases from eBay plus a soft shell rugged case on eBay from a Toronto seller. Pretty good deal when ordering online. We got the rugged case, using it for now, but will switch to the fancier ones as they arrive.
Axessorize case. Plain black with sleep chrome buttons. Freedom sells in store. 15 or 20 bucks. Funny same cover for s8 goes for 40.
Oct 19, 2011
316 posts
66 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 6:51 am
This phone is fast. But it's huge. The battery could nhave been better but it does the job. LTE does go in and out where you go underground abd goes 4g at times. But overall it's a solid phone. Even in a below ground basement it works great.
I'm currently using my G Pad 3 (8 inch tablet) as my "phone". Will this phone feel more mobile then that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mcfart wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 6:54 am
I'm currently using my G Pad 3 (8 inch tablet) as my "phone". Will this phone feel more mobile then that?
Not a womping 8", depends on your preference on device size.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 19, 2011
316 posts
66 upvotes
Guys I need help - I got a XA1 Ultra from Freedom. I exchanged a shitty $100 Zfive 2 for it. HOWEVER, while the Zfive 2 had 100% LTE reception all the time, only dropping to 3g if I made a call, even in the FM Store (with full LTE Reception), the Xa1 Ultra switched between 4g and LTE for some inexplicable reason, and since then I've noticed it randomly doing this even though AT MINIMUM I'm -108 Dbm ~37 asu LTE signal. There's NO REASON for it to randomly be dropping to 4g. It kills the connection, then I have to wait for it to switch back. I'm already considering exchanging it before my remorse period's up, as there's no reason the Zfive 2 should be better at LTE then this $400 phone. Has anyone else had this issues? It makes FM's network look bad since I know it's fine based on my Zfive 2 usage. If I got this first I'd blame the carrier's network over my new phone having crummy network switching algorithms.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Got the XA1 Ultra loaded with a burner talk & text Koodo sim, I don't bother with Freedom Mobile's network reliability. I'm not surprised that the ZTE phone has better LTE compatibility on Freedom. I imagine if you're getting a phone for LTE network reliability, then go with whichever phone does it best.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 19, 2011
316 posts
66 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:46 am
Got the XA1 Ultra loaded with a burner talk & text Koodo sim, I don't bother with Freedom Mobile's network reliability. I'm not surprised that the ZTE phone has better LTE compatibility on Freedom. I imagine if you're getting a phone for LTE network reliability, then go with whichever phone does it best.
I just went through tech settings to set network to "LTE only". This disables calls (since they go on 3g), but I use VOIP for that anyway and texts still work. I'll see if it stays on LTE now.

Regarding ZTE, I was surprised that 320p $100 phone had such good antenna/signal. I hope LTE only will work on this (there's also apps that bascically do the same thing) as the Ultra's a great phone otherwise. Bezels on top/bottom are too thick tho.
Feb 3, 2015
895 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
mcfart wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 9:17 am
I just went through tech settings to set network to "LTE only". This disables calls (since they go on 3g), but I use VOIP for that anyway and texts still work. I'll see if it stays on LTE now.

Regarding ZTE, I was surprised that 320p $100 phone had such good antenna/signal. I hope LTE only will work on this (there's also apps that bascically do the same thing) as the Ultra's a great phone otherwise. Bezels on top/bottom are too thick tho.
Yes bezels are thick.... But the phone feels nice still. LTE drops in and out but it doesn't bother me at all.
Oct 19, 2011
316 posts
66 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 6:15 am
Yes bezels are thick.... But the phone feels nice still. LTE drops in and out but it doesn't bother me at all.
Mm, yeah it performs well. I haven't seen it drop to 4g since I set to LTE only, but I will continue monitoring. I can't make emergancy calls with that setting though, which is a bit of a downside if I ever need it.

Dropping to 4g is bad. Interrupts connection and 4g is significantly slower than LTE too. It was even doing it when I had a full LTE signal.
Dec 9, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote
mcfart wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 7:08 am
Mm, yeah it performs well. I haven't seen it drop to 4g since I set to LTE only, but I will continue monitoring. I can't make emergancy calls with that setting though, which is a bit of a downside if I ever need it.

Dropping to 4g is bad. Interrupts connection and 4g is significantly slower than LTE too. It was even doing it when I had a full LTE signal.
what is the model# of this 32GB phone from Freedommobile. Single Sim 64GB model models: G3221 (not telus LTE) and G3223 (support Telus LTE)
I think the phone may not support the lte band of koodo. I checked telus and public mobile:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier- ... mit=Search
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier- ... mit=Search
I am thinking to get this phone too. I like big screen 6" and price under $500.

How to do you get $10 unlock fee from freedommobile?

What the reason you don't buy outright $420? If you are going to switch to Koodo anyway, you will still pay the tab bonus back. At the end, it is the same as outright price or not?
Also recently I repaired my phone and the double warranty feature of my credit card and they told me they only cover the cost of repair (e.g. in my case $115) up to amount I paid through credit card. luckily I paid my phone with outright price $500 and the repair cost was covered.

What is the reason to get Alberta phone number? It is just becuase they will sell you at lower tax 5% or any other reason?

If you cancel the monthly plan next day, do they prorate the charges. What is return policy if the phone is not good?

Any one use the phone on public mobile? what is lte/3g speed?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
@hkch activate on a post-paid plan with an AB number, get the unlock code from Freedom and buy out for a bit less than buying outright plus ON/BC sales tax before unlock code.

The price of the phone is fair. Canadian variant supports LTE band 66, so safe to assume it'll do LTE on the big three. Currently using a Virgin Mobile sim in it, haven't enabled data yet.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12429 posts
4023 upvotes
Oakville
titaniumtux wrote:
May 25th, 2017 4:38 pm
XA1 Ultra on Freedom is $420, or $440 on Videotron. There are countless examples for other devices on big 3.
Weird, just got a notification that I was quoted in this thread but this is the only post I could find on it, from way back in May. Lol. At any rate, I didn't respond to it way back when so I might as well now. Both of those appear to be below the actual MSRP (I'm basing MSRP on what Amazon.ca is charging for it right now, $499). So while one has a higher price than the other, both are lower than MSRP, not higher, which is what I was questioning :)
Public Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 4:27 pm
Weird, just got a notification that I was quoted in this thread but this is the only post I could find on it, from way back in May. Lol. At any rate, I didn't respond to it way back when so I might as well now. Both of those appear to be below the actual MSRP (I'm basing MSRP on what Amazon.ca is charging for it right now, $499). So while one has a higher price than the other, both are lower than MSRP, not higher, which is what I was questioning :)
Works out in consumers' favour for shopping via carriers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1198 posts
308 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mcfart wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 3:32 am
Good news - Sony said in https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-and ... -updating/ that the Xa1s are getting Oreo - question I have is how WIND/Freedom was with Nougat and if we can expect Oreo in a reasonable timeframe (if at all)?
We'll likely get it within eight months. If you're in a hurry, then flash a custom ROM once one becomes available.