• Apr 3rd, 2017 12:15 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
120 upvotes

The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

feel free to discuss ATP, WTA, equipment suggestion, court suggestions and everything else related to tennis!
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:00 pm
I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote:
Nov 4th, 2008 8:43 pm
Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
1079 replies
Jan 20, 2007
734 posts
11 upvotes
What would be a good quality/price racket to get?

I used to be an intermediate player (went to tennis school for two years as a teenager), but I havent played for a decade. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2425 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
i want to play again badly in mississauga area anyone know where i should go?

would need partners etc?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2487 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
good thread! i just started playing last summer w/ my bf. he's bout a level 3.5 or so, so we're just working on my baseline rallying. i can rally ok, but i still seem to lob the shot high and way past the baseline all too often.

any tips on how to get better? i've also signed up for lessons...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7513 posts
334 upvotes
Canada
Does anyone have a list of tennis courts (that let you play for free) and their availability (days, hours, season) in Toronto and the GTA?

EDIT: Wow, this thread is...kind of...very...vague, maybe split it to 2 threads (one about pro-tennis, the other about playing tennis?)
He died for me, I live for him
Apr 30, 2009
60 posts
Brampton
Roger Federer is number one in the standings. Lets see how long he keeps it up for.
And Finally we have a Official tennis thread unlike those Wimpledon, French Open threads etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11811 posts
20 upvotes
morglum82 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 10:39 am

I used to be an intermediate player (went to tennis school for two years as a teenager), but I havent played for a decade. :)
What do you want more of? Power or control?
For me I can't play with a head larger than 95 sq. in. and it has to be even balance or head light otherwise control goes out the window. I haven't replaced my Head racket in 7 years since it works quite well for me. I suggest going to a tennis store or sport chek and test out some models.

For folks who keep hitting the ball high and long, I suggest playing against a cement wall if your local tennis court has 'em. You'll learn pretty quickly to keep the ball low or else you'll be chasing balls every other shot.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Aug 9, 2006
330 posts
19 upvotes
dreaderus wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 10:42 am
i want to play again badly in mississauga area anyone know where i should go?

would need partners etc?
You can use ilovetennis.ca to find partners. You can play on any public courts... I've met quite a few people that way
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1252 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Woohoo tennis thread! I just got my club pro certification yesterday. Anyone need lessons? :cheesygri

The best way to meet new players is to join a local tennis club. If you join now you can probably get membership at half price since half the season is over. It's usually around 70-80 bucks for the entire season. You'll meet lots of other players of your level and see some good players hit. There are also events such as round robins and club tournaments which will really help you gain experience.

If you have any tennis related questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to answer!
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1252 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
morglum82 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 10:39 am

A common misconception is that the more expensive a racket is, the better it is. My students often ask me, "what is a good racket?" This "good racket" is different for everyone and depends on a number of factors such as playing level and game style. Just as an example, if you are a beginner and you try to use Federer's racket, you will want to quit tennis! You would be better off using a lighter, larger, and most likely cheaper racket than his.

Here is a list of basic facts that you should know: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/BasicFacts.html
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5726 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
I'll say that I wish I still played like I used to, but that what not playing for 10 years, then playing for 3, then not again for 4. This on again/off again has completely killed my strokes, and I'm looking at getting some lessons this summer, but nothing too expensive.

What's worse than forgetting strokes is how I lost my biggest weapon, besides having a head light racquet(that's even lighter because I've lost some plastic and such). and a light racquet to begin with, I just pulled a groin muscle and can't twist on my lead foot, so my serve has probably lost 7-8mph since I'm just forced to stand there and swing.

it's tough getting old :)
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1252 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
shannn wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 1:32 pm
Does anyone have a list of tennis courts (that let you play for free) and their availability (days, hours, season) in Toronto and the GTA?

EDIT: Wow, this thread is...kind of...very...vague, maybe split it to 2 threads (one about pro-tennis, the other about playing tennis?)
Here is a comprehensive list: http://www.toronto.ca/parks/recreation_ ... is2008.pdf

Note some courts are club courts so you have to be a member to play there.
Dec 1, 2007
823 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
sporting life can string your racquets in 2-3 hours if they are not busy.
Rig 1: Coolermaster CM690, X3 720BE unlocked@3.6Ghz, Prolimatech Megahalem, Asus M3A79-T, 2 x 2Gb Mushkin Ascent 1066, TX750W, Intel X25-M 80gb, 2x WD Black 1TB -- Win7 Ultimate 64bit
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel