The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 12:15 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7747 posts
346 upvotes
Duan is a Qualifier, meant she played 3-4 matches before (tired), also this is her Grand Slam debut, she has NEVER beaten anyone even remotely close to the top 100. Also she is 25 which in WTA is like 40yrs old. She handled Bouchard the is defending FINALIST, in straights.

Very good article imho of what her current situation and what she should do.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/m ... e25210373/

I hope she gets her act together... she has most potential out of all the Canadians but her bonehead moves (handshake at Fed cup) and passing her current form as a 'hiccup', it's tough to cheer.

She needs to,
a. dump her team
b. make tennis a priority, get off facebook, instagram, modelling, etc and all that junk and focus on tennis... those stuff can come later after you win something
c. beg for her old coach to come back
d. mature a bit, she's 21 but still. That fedcup snub was pure stupidity... it's like the olympics of tennis... sportsmanship and such, idiotic move. So glad she got smoked in both fedcup matches... the Romania celebration was funny :)

JustBob wrote:
Jun 30th, 2015 6:55 pm
Playing like crap + abdominal injury, and little to no preparation/practice, hardly a surprising result.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3707 posts
513 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote:
Jul 1st, 2015 12:36 pm
Very good article imho of what her current situation and what she should do.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/m ... e25210373/
I think that article is crap and Cathal Kelly, whoever he/she is, doesn't know squat about tennis. Bouchard's rise was unexpected and well, it happened too fast. People jumped on the bandwagon and were expecting her to win slams at 20. Heck, on a tennis forum, I've even seen a bunch of Bouchard fanatics begging her to fire Saviano because she needed another coach to take her to the next level! This was nothing but nonsense from people who don't understand the sport, and the fact that, due to it's increasingly physical nature, players do not peak until 24-25. So this pace/success she was enjoying at such a young age, there was no way she could keep that up.

And now that she's in a slump, you're seeing the same "fire everybody and start over!" silly nonsense. This world of instant gratification we live in, that's not the way life or sports work. And the "advice" that she quit tennis for the rest of the year is just plain stupid. You're in a slump, well you just keep plugging away and dig yourself out of it. Sure, play a couple of Challengers if you have to, but keep fighting/playing.

FYI, Saviano is a good coach, but it's a well known fact that he hates travelling. As soon as Bouchard became a top player, it was just a matter of time before that relationship ended.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7747 posts
346 upvotes
To each their own, I have no idea the author is... yeah it was a bit drastic.

Thing is you don't break a good thing... mind you she did have some pretty soft draws in 2014.

I hope she makes it... once she drops out of the top 20-30, even 250/500 level tournaments are gonna be THAT much harder... due to the fact she would be playing higher ranked players in early rounds, not qualifiers like Duan.
JustBob wrote:
Jul 1st, 2015 1:31 pm
I think that article is crap and Cathal Kelly, whoever he/she is, doesn't know squat about tennis. Bouchard's rise was unexpected and well, it happened too fast. People jumped on the bandwagon and were expecting her to win slams at 20. Heck, on a tennis forum, I've even seen a bunch of Bouchard fanatics begging her to fire Saviano because she needed another coach to take her to the next level! This was nothing but nonsense from people who don't understand the sport, and the fact that, due to it's increasingly physical nature, players do not peak until 24-25. So this pace/success she was enjoying at such a young age, there was no way she could keep that up.

And now that she's in a slump, you're seeing the same "fire everybody and start over!" silly nonsense. This world of instant gratification we live in, that's not the way life or sports work. And the "advice" that she quit tennis for the rest of the year is just plain stupid. You're in a slump, well you just keep plugging away and dig yourself out of it. Sure, play a couple of Challengers if you have to, but keep fighting/playing.

FYI, Saviano is a good coach, but it's a well known fact that he hates travelling. As soon as Bouchard became a top player, it was just a matter of time before that relationship ended.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3850 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully this opens the door for pospisil to make the quarters
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7747 posts
346 upvotes
Not so surprising, Brown has beaten him before... Brown played out of this world though.

Still Rafa has been shaky this year... I think his game style (100% effort for everything) is catching up to him, either it be injuries or just plain burnout, who knows. Doubtful he'll ever make changes as he's been super successful.

Pospisil looks good but his back has been super shaky... not sure it'll last another round.

Wawrinka vs Verdasco should be a good match. Verdasco has had a lackluster year but still very dangerous... beside from Gasquet, Verdasco is probably one of the biggest underachievers in the talent department.
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2015 3:23 pm
Rafa with another early Wimby exit...

Though this one was against a qualifier..damn Rafa!!
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Banned
Jun 17, 2015
16 posts
8 upvotes
Really...remember these players and at what age they won?

- Steffi Graf
- Seles
- Sanchez
-Sabatini
- Hingis
-Majoli
- Both Williams sisters
- Sharapova.

Like you said, social media has turned most young people into lazy / no work ethic types. I can put big money on it that Bouchard won't win anything in the next 5yrs and beyond as long as she continues down the look at me am so pretty / facebook/instgaram/twitter rabbit hole, when in fact she should be out there working on her cardio, strength, game and speed.
JustBob wrote:
Jul 1st, 2015 1:31 pm

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7747 posts
346 upvotes
Agreed, although the 1st thing she should work is that serve... my goodness it's awful.
mylina wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2015 7:56 am

- Steffi Graf
- Seles
- Sanchez
-Sabatini
- Hingis
-Majoli
- Both Williams sisters
- Sharapova.

Like you said, social media has turned most young people into lazy / no work ethic types. I can put big money on it that Bouchard won't win anything in the next 5yrs and beyond as long as she continues down the look at me am so pretty / facebook/instgaram/twitter rabbit hole, when in fact she should be out there working on her cardio, strength, game and speed.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13008 posts
1696 upvotes
Was watching "highlights" of Bouchard's game and it was pretty poor. Shots that are just out or almost over the net are one thing. Shots that are spraying all over the court remind me of myself.

Yes she would still mop the floor with me, but she's ranked as one of the top tennis players in the world. She shouldn't be making shots like that.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3707 posts
513 upvotes
mylina wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2015 7:56 am

- Steffi Graf
- Seles
- Sanchez
-Sabatini
- Hingis
-Majoli
- Both Williams sisters
- Sharapova.
Yes really. Because, when you don't quote selectively, you get:

"due to it's increasingly physical nature, players do not peak until 24-25.

The days of teenagers winning slams are over because their bodies just aren't ready.
Jan 6, 2006
150 posts
25 upvotes
Nanaimo
Any benefit to the new Wilson 'spin effects' rackets. Hype or reality? I'm a reasonable strong hitter and would like to increase my topspin. Anybody have any experience with these rackets?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8224 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
doa2 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 11:21 pm
Any benefit to the new Wilson 'spin effects' rackets. Hype or reality? I'm a reasonable strong hitter and would like to increase my topspin. Anybody have any experience with these rackets?
There is an actual difference in the amount of spin I hit with my shots when I play with my Pro Staff 95S (16x15) vs. my old K-Six One Team racquet (16x20). The shots with the 95S lob a bit more but land deeper at the baseline.

Depends on the racquet you get, but since I'm on the weaker side, I add a bit of lead tape to give my shots a bit more heft. It's a whippy racquet, but boy, slices are sexy.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1252 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
doa2 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 11:21 pm
I wouldn't be surprised with increased spin potential from an open string bed. The conventional way to add topspin would be to change your grip and/or swing, but this racquet may help.

edit: Sampras suggests being open to new tech! http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pete-s ... nger-self/
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel