Sports & Recreation

The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:24 am
Tags:
Jan 29, 2017
314 posts
124 upvotes
No one is watching Tennis these days? Canadian new sensation 18 year old Shapovalov upset #1 tournament seeded and ATP 2nd ranked Nadal. First 18 year old to reach a Masters 1000 semi-final. All of this in front of his home crowd. What a week the kid is having.

Raonic out early and Bouchard was well Bouchard.
Apr 12, 2012
629 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Eugenie Bouchard is a pretty face who could sound awfully mean. You don't want to be this gal's husband...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19060 posts
1380 upvotes
lemieux035 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:18 am
Eugenie Bouchard is a pretty face who could sound awfully mean. You don't want to be this gal's husband...
lol pretty much - she is pretty but man, she seems like she can be an ice queen - in the same mold as Sharapova....

Unfortunately I think a lot of Genie's early success went to her - too much success early on and she thought she was the queen of the world - the next "Great One" in women's tennis - wow, has she fallen fast and steep.....

Hopefully she gets her head on right and is able to grow and succeed - so far, her journey has still be rocky with inconsistencies in performance....
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1272 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
I played on the court next to Shapovalov when he was about 14. Even then he was already beating grown men at the highest level of non-pro doubles in Toronto. I remember watching in amazement, and it's so great to see him get to where he is now!

As for Genie, it is a lot of pressure as she said herself, but at the pro level the mental game is what separates the top 20 from the rest of the pack. I hope she can turn things around while she's still reaching her peak.
Apr 12, 2012
629 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:20 am
lol pretty much - she is pretty but man, she seems like she can be an ice queen - in the same mold as Sharapova....

Unfortunately I think a lot of Genie's early success went to her - too much success early on and she thought she was the queen of the world - the next "Great One" in women's tennis - wow, has she fallen fast and steep.....

Hopefully she gets her head on right and is able to grow and succeed - so far, her journey has still be rocky with inconsistencies in performance....
In Jrs she could overpower her opponents, but in the Pros, she can't do that anymore. Very few people can play like a Justine Henin.

I think she should get a good coach that will help her "build" the point. Martina Hingis was a master at that kind of tennis. She was tiny, but I just loved how she played when she was younger.