Wow, what an end to that fight. Those guys are cardio Gods
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1495 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2016 12:26 am
Lawler was sooo close, Condit was so wobbly.
They were both very wobbly in the last round, especially near the end.

IMO Condit won't that but it was close enough and Lawler did do damage in the 5th
Sep 13, 2011
943 posts
121 upvotes
fight of the year.
Condit had a lot more strike output and landed a lot more as well even though majority of them were "diaz" type strikes. but lawler controlled the octagon majority of the rounds. could have gone either way...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4579 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
gotrice wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2016 12:43 am
fight of the year.
Condit had a lot more strike output and landed a lot more as well even though majority of them were "diaz" type strikes. but lawler controlled the octagon majority of the rounds. could have gone either way...
hahaha I was saying the same thing and then realized this year just started. I'm sure we're going to have other amazing fights.

I thought Condit won. Lawler seemed to be more aggressive, but Condit landed much more; I'm sure landed shots outweigh aggression on the scorecard. I personally only think Lawler took round 5 and possibly round 2 with that knockdown. What other round could he have possibly won?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1495 upvotes
Niagara Falls
glover78 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2016 8:53 am
hahaha I was saying the same thing and then realized this year just started. I'm sure we're going to have other amazing fights.

I thought Condit won. Lawler seemed to be more aggressive, but Condit landed much more; I'm sure landed shots outweigh aggression on the scorecard. I personally only think Lawler took round 5 and possibly round 2 with that knockdown. What other round could he have possibly won?
Round 3 was also close.

Condit clearly won round 1 and 4 imo and won them decisively. Round 2, like you said, Lawler had the big strike and knockdown but Condit took over most of the rest of the round. Round 5, Lawler was aggressive as heck but they both land significant shots in that round.

It was a close fight, and generally speaking in close fights you give the decision to the champ so I'm not angry. Lawler can take a beating and can come back hard even after he's bit hit repeatedly. The dude recovers quick. The devision is interesting. I hope Woodley gets the next shot and Condit can fight Hendricks or MacDonald for the match after that.

Unfortunately I don't think Maia or Brown or good enough to hang with those guys.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7556 posts
371 upvotes
Canada
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2016 9:56 am
Round 3 was also close.

Condit clearly won round 1 and 4 imo and won them decisively. Round 2, like you said, Lawler had the big strike and knockdown but Condit took over most of the rest of the round. Round 5, Lawler was aggressive as heck but they both land significant shots in that round.

It was a close fight, and generally speaking in close fights you give the decision to the champ so I'm not angry. Lawler can take a beating and can come back hard even after he's bit hit repeatedly. The dude recovers quick. The devision is interesting. I hope Woodley gets the next shot and Condit can fight Hendricks or MacDonald for the match after that.

Unfortunately I don't think Maia or Brown or good enough to hang with those guys.
Maybe this is when GSP announces is return for UFC 200 vs. Lawler and the MMA world explodes, with Holm/Roussey and McGregor/Aldo rematches haha, but...probably not.

I thought Condit did enough to win, but, Lawler almost put him to sleep a couple of times as well.
He died for me, I live for him
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
244 upvotes
it's funny how all these mma 'experts' are calling the last round of the Lawler/Condit fight - "one of the best rounds ever". they were both gassed and swinging with ZERO technique.

but yet these same 'experts' bash others for wanting to see a brawl.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1495 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nineiron wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 9:35 am
it's funny how all these mma 'experts' are calling the last round of the Lawler/Condit fight - "one of the best rounds ever". they were both gassed and swinging with ZERO technique.

but yet these same 'experts' bash others for wanting to see a brawl.
When you figure out what actual technique is, then you can come back and claim they were throwing with 'ZERO' technique.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
244 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 12:51 pm
When you figure out what actual technique is, then you can come back and claim they were throwing with 'ZERO' technique.
oh please tell us what 'actual technique' is you mma guru you. please tell us how they still showed proper technique when they were so tired that they almost fell over.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1495 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Excellent leg kick by Lawler @ 4:32 followed by a strong combo, even better head movement by Condit to avoid most of the punches

A quick teep by Condit @4:10 to create distance

A quick leading upper cut by Lawler @ 4:02 followed by some power shots

A flurry @ 7:10 by Condit with multiple strikes thrown including elbows and an upper cut finished off by a strong body kick (as any good Muay Thai guy would do)

A good clinch and knee @ 3:20 by Condit

A sneaky upper cut by Condit @ 3:01 that was disguised by a jab and overhand right.

A good high body kick by Lawler @ 2:36

A damn head kick by Lawler @ 1:10

This is nice technique for a teep.

Frankly I'm not surprised you have zero idea what technique looks like though.

You want to see horrible technique? Go watch the Gabi Gracia MMA fight.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1495 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It isn't about knowing 'so much', it's about pointing out to you where technique was used in their striking. I left the descriptors up there so you can review the video yourself and see some real technique. Not the crispest shots but so far above 'ZERO' that its not even in the conversation.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4579 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 8:04 pm
Excellent leg kick by Lawler @ 4:32 followed by a strong combo, even better head movement by Condit to avoid most of the punches

A quick teep by Condit @4:10 to create distance

A quick leading upper cut by Lawler @ 4:02 followed by some power shots

A flurry @ 7:10 by Condit with multiple strikes thrown including elbows and an upper cut finished off by a strong body kick (as any good Muay Thai guy would do)

A good clinch and knee @ 3:20 by Condit

A sneaky upper cut by Condit @ 3:01 that was disguised by a jab and overhand right.

A good high body kick by Lawler @ 2:36

A damn head kick by Lawler @ 1:10

This is nice technique for a teep.

Frankly I'm not surprised you have zero idea what technique looks like though.

You want to see horrible technique? Go watch the Gabi Gracia MMA fight.
I'm soooo sorry that you wasted your time on this breakdown for Nineiron :(
I pray you or anyone else don't make this mistake again.
Temp. Banned
Feb 8, 2005
2335 posts
244 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2016 1:13 pm
I'm soooo sorry that you wasted your time on this breakdown for Nineiron :(
I pray you or anyone else don't make this mistake again.
Sep 23, 2013
357 posts
172 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
New to this thread... what did everyone think of Cruz vs Dillashaw? I had Cruz winning 3-2.