Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
Jim Lahey wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 1:39 pm
Hate that they are going with Cormier vs Lesnar .
I don't think that match will ever happen. DC is too smart to get in the ring with the drug cheat.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17508 posts
1321 upvotes
Niagara Falls
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 11:02 pm
I don't think that match will ever happen. DC is too smart to get in the ring with the drug cheat.
I'm sure DC is going to enjoy the payday and I doubt Lesnar will pose much of a threat to him.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
Evil Baby wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 11:09 pm
I'm sure DC is going to enjoy the payday and I doubt Lesnar will pose much of a threat to him.
Money will talk but I still doubt it will happen. Time will tell.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9091 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
This comment says it best.
So, Brock Lesnar just happened to be in the front row, and Cormier just happened to notice a WWE superstar and just happened to know that said WWE superstar might want to make a comeback to MMA, and all this occurred in the moments after the biggest win of Cormier’s career. He was already, as a 39 year old, thinking about his next fight/payday.

Brock Lesnar wants to fight again... at 40 years old.? And he’s getting a title shot after a NC due to steroids? Hmmm.

Someone, not me, but someone cynical could think this whole thing might not be totally legit. #UFCIsTotallyRealAndNotFixedInAnyWay
I haven't watched a UFC fight since that long lanky hgh dude broke his leg off another dude's shin.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 10:08 pm
Spider Silva! LOL
That was shocking when it happened. I was watching the fight. What is even more shocking is he healed and fought again.
Aug 16, 2017
590 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 10:15 pm
That was shocking when it happened. I was watching the fight. What is even more shocking is he healed and fought again.
fought again, took steroids and lost... damn
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1770 posts
302 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 2:15 pm
You are right. Dana should have a sixth fight already planned in case of a injury or illness. Don't announce the 6th fight unless somebody gets hurt.
Why would anyone want to go through a camp (and spend money on it) with no guarantee that they will actually fight on the card?

It's been a while since UFC had a big name appeal like Lesnar. Glad DC is going to make bank on this, their promos were fantastic on Saturday.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:11 pm
Why would anyone want to go through a camp (and spend money on it) with no guarantee that they will actually fight on the card?

It's been a while since UFC had a big name appeal like Lesnar. Glad DC is going to make bank on this, their promos were fantastic on Saturday.
You do realize most of these guys train all year. If you listen when they announce the fighters a lot of times it is on short notice when a fighter that's scheduled to fight gets hurt. It wouldn't be as hard or expensive as you make it out to be. Plus the people that pay $60.00 bucks for the pay per view aren't getting ripped off as bad.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1770 posts
302 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:59 pm
You do realize most of these guys train all year. If you listen when they announce the fighters a lot of times it is on short notice when a fighter that's scheduled to fight gets hurt. It wouldn't be as hard or expensive as you make it out to be. Plus the people that pay $60.00 bucks for the pay per view aren't getting ripped off as bad.
Going through a camp in preparation for a fight is completely different than the training outside of a camp. This is well documented. In an eight week camp, the training is MUCH more gruelling, you have to cut weight and work on cardio, and you've got to plan for your opponent. Why would two fighters put themselves through that with no guarantee that they will make it on the card and make money?

While there are people that are willing to take a fight on short notice, there are many more fighters unwilling to put themselves through that.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 2:11 pm
Going through a camp in preparation for a fight is completely different than the training outside of a camp. This is well documented. In an eight week camp, the training is MUCH more gruelling, you have to cut weight and work on cardio, and you've got to plan for your opponent. Why would two fighters put themselves through that with no guarantee that they will make it on the card and make money?

While there are people that are willing to take a fight on short notice, there are many more fighters unwilling to put themselves through that.
There are more fighters siting by the phone waiting for the call than you think.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1770 posts
302 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:26 pm
There are more fighters siting by the phone waiting for the call than you think.
How many fighters are on the same level as Max Holloway that you can insert into the co-main event? And why in the world would Brian Ortega risk taking on another opponent?

Realistically, even if you can get two fighters to fight against each other on short notice, they'll most likely slot in on the undercard or prelims. Will that really make a PPV buyer happy that they're getting a new prelim fight to replace a main event? I think not.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 4:03 pm
How many fighters are on the same level as Max Holloway that you can insert into the co-main event? And why in the world would Brian Ortega risk taking on another opponent?

Realistically, even if you can get two fighters to fight against each other on short notice, they'll most likely slot in on the undercard or prelims. Will that really make a PPV buyer happy that they're getting a new prelim fight to replace a main event? I think not.
If you read my original comment I said Dana should have a sixth fight lined up I never said a replacement fighter for Max Holloway.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1770 posts
302 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:19 pm
If you read my original comment I said Dana should have a sixth fight lined up I never said a replacement fighter for Max Holloway.
Again, why would fighters go through a camp and wait on standby for a fight on the card? Unless UFC decides to not be cheap anymore and still pay fighters for their time. It won't happen.

Anyways, it sucks that fights get cancelled, but that's the nature of the business. And it's the curse of the International Fight Week.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Aug 22, 2010
70 posts
13 upvotes
Ortega turned down two fights because of championship belt $$$