The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
glover78 wrote: Agreed. Which upsets me more as to how the last card, in Toronto, was one of the worst ever.

This card has great co-main and main event fights; co-main was a fun one. While 298 was great, it's amazing to think that on paper 299 and 300 will be better
Dana mentioned in the post fight that Toronto was a weak card and said "we owe you one".
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
you guys need to be watching the early prelims and prelims.. not gonna lie, I've watched the last 10 of these and ALL of them have bangers in them. These guys have nothing to lose. You're almost guaranteed crazy fight.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Costa vs Whitaker was an excellent fight...

I was watching Vok vs Topuria and was wondering why Volk kept retreating with his chin straight up in the air... I think he was doing that earlier in his career but had the speed to get out of the way. I don't think he does at 35 anymore and if he does - just beat up his legs for a round then you can catch him.

Anyway, he's taking some big damage now, the younger generation will be coming up.

What is so impressive about Ian Garry? Top guys will wreck him on the ground and then he's done. Boring fight vs Neal.

Michael Chandler makes me laugh... willing to forgo possibly 2 fights waiting for a guy who might never fight again. Chandler isn't a kid anymore, he's wasting valuable time for a fight that may never happen. This is the problem with light UFC cards as the top guys don't want to be active.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
There is an incredible stat that at LW & below, in UFC title fights, fighters age 35 & older have never won against a younger opponent. Even if you include WW, it has only been done once, by Tyron Woodley when he beat Darren Till. Immediately after that loss, Till went on to lose 4 of his next 5 (5 of 6 overall) & got cut. So basically at WW & below, if you're 35 & older & facing a younger opponent, you basically can't win a title fight in the UFC. So age seems to be a huge factor at the lighter weight classes. I'm thinking that a slight loss in speed & reflexes makes a big difference at the lighter weight classes, just a theory (people usually lose athleticism, explosiveness, speed/reflexes before they lose power)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
UFC 299 on March 9 looks like a great card... standout fights I think are on the Prelims:

RDA vs Gamrot
Blaydes vs Almeida

Main Card

Yan vs Yadong
Burns vs Maddelena
Holland vs Page (we'll see is MVP is for real or if he was just beating on soup cans in the crap leagues)
Poirier vs St Denis
O'Malley vs Vera 2

Looks pretty good, but man - those Fight Night cards are pretty sparse in big names. I think we're at a crossroads and there's parity and not much talent coming up that stands out.

https://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-299

And moron Chandler is still sitting out waiting for the aging meal ticket, wasting his career. At least take an 'easy fight' in the meantime.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
don't miss these prelims!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Poirier!

Man, that was scary for a bit. Guess he doesn't listen to his corner, at all. Stop jumping guillotine FFS!

MVP? What a letdown. He won't find any soup cans in the pro's.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
lol this is why you watch prelims.. those bite marks on lima.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)