Page 689 of 930

Re: The Official UFC & MMA thread: UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2 - August 20th

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 11:18 am
by Kris81
Mintmaster wrote: Most people are skeptical about his chances in the UFC given his failed drug tests and poor relationship with Dana White. His name is also big enough for another MMA promotion (Bellator, One FC, BAMMA, etc) to give him a decent contract that the UFC probably wouldn't match.
Roy Nelson doesn't have the best relationship with Dana, and he coached TUF. Tito Ortiz probably had the worst relationship, and he is 2nd all time on most money made in the UFC. Overeem, Diaz, Sonnen are all failed drug tested employees who are currently in line for a title shot. I don't see Barnett not taking part in the UFC, especially with his last few fights coming back clean.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 11:26 am
by Mintmaster
Those guys all failed once. Barnett failed three times in his career. You know that the UFC is pissed about about Overeem's positive test and messing up the most anticipated HW fight in ages.

I hope you're right, though. HW is starved for talent as it is even if guys weren't getting injured and suspended.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:22 pm
by VCR
Kris81 wrote: That's because Condit did less in and our vs GSP than he did vs Diaz. Diaz is the more dangerous of the two strikers, which was evident in Condit standing in front of GSP and Condit moving away from Diaz.
I think it was more of a failure of Diaz for not being able to cut off the octagon and close the distance when Condit was moving away.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:26 pm
by VCR
Mintmaster wrote: I hope you're right, though. HW is starved for talent as it is even if guys weren't getting injured and suspended.
From the male divisions, it probably is the weakest in terms of "depth." Who is the top "prospect" or "next big thing" in that division? In the LHW division we have Gustaffson and Teixeira. MW you have Wideman, at WW you have Rory Mac and the other Silva.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:32 pm
by nineiron
Mintmaster wrote: He finished Penn With GnP.
u call that a finish? tiring someone out to the point that they can't fight isn't a finish in my books. especially if it was achieved by greasing and holding the opponent down.

Penn looked like he was dead tired by the beginning of the 3rd round. gsp had 2 full rounds of a dead tired lightweight and still couldn't finish him. and had BJ's corner not thrown in the towel to start the 5th, i doubt gsp would have been able to finish. some "champ".

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:36 pm
by VCR
Mintmaster wrote: That's why the UFC protected Diaz from all the wrestlers, and I hope they give him an easy fight again or the title shot. I want to see Diaz-GSP to shut keyboard warriors like you up, and to watch GSP finally fight someone who doesn't backpedal. That last time that happened was Jon Fitch.
I don't think the UFC was trying to "protect" Diaz from wrestlers (since his return, he's fought The Prodigy and Condit) but just how things turned out. IMO, if GSP doesn't fight again until June/July 2013, they should match up Diaz versus Hendricks for the "undisputed" number one contender in February 2013 (after his suspension) @ UFC 157 in the co-main event for a five rounder, so all the keyboard warriors would shut up on who "deserves" a title shot the most. I think Hendo and Machida are featured in that card.

I know that only the main-event usually is a 5 rounder, but they can bill the card as a "number one contenders" card with both the LHW and WW division both being five rounders. IMO, all matches to establish a true "number one contender" should be 5 rounders.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:42 pm
by Kris81
VCR wrote: From the male divisions, it probably is the weakest in terms of "depth." Who is the top "prospect" or "next big thing" in that division? In the LHW division we have Gustaffson and Teixeira. MW you have Wideman, at WW you have Rory Mac and the other Silva.
HW is always the weakest. To be honest, JDS & Cain are still the top "prospects" even though they're the top contenders. Cain doesn't have that many fights, and JDS is still young. Texiera has been around forever, so I don't really consider him a prospect. When I think of prospects, I think:

135 - Michael mcdonald
145 - Marcus Brimage
155 - Edson Barboza (still)
170 - Rory Macdonald
185 - Weidman
205 - Vinny Maghales
HW - JDS, Cain, Travis Browne

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:45 pm
by VCR
nineiron wrote: u call that a finish? tiring someone out to the point that they can't fight isn't a finish in my books. especially if it was achieved by greasing and holding the opponent down.

Penn looked like he was dead tired by the beginning of the 3rd round. gsp had 2 full rounds of a dead tired lightweight and still couldn't finish him. and had BJ's corner not thrown in the towel to start the 5th, i doubt gsp would have been able to finish. some "champ".
dude, it looks like you "forgot" to read the following directed towards you previously .........
Mintmaster wrote: LOL you mean the fight where BJ took such a beating that he said,

"Honestly looking back now, I looked up at Perillo and said thanks for stopping the fight. That could have been the end of my career."

Yeah, a lay and pray finish. That's rich...
[IMG]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_asset ... penn_2.gif[/IMG]

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:49 pm
by VCR
Kris81 wrote: HW is always the weakest. To be honest, JDS & Cain are still the top "prospects" even though they're the top contenders. Cain doesn't have that many fights, and JDS is still young. Texiera has been around forever, so I don't really consider him a prospect. When I think of prospects, I think:

135 - Michael mcdonald
145 - Marcus Brimage
155 - Edson Barboza (still)
170 - Rory Macdonald
185 - Weidman
205 - Vinny Maghales
HW - JDS, Cain, Travis Browne
uh, didn't you try to previously argue that the WW division was the weakest? btw, where is your boy, Erick Silva on the "top prospect" list for WW?

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 1:58 pm
by Kris81
VCR wrote: uh, didn't you try to previously argue that the WW division was the weakest? btw, where is your boy, Erick Silva on the "top prospect" list for WW?
You are a terrible troll, all you do is follow me around trying to admit that my opinion is wrong, lol. You should look up the definition of opinion.

My opinion: WW = Weakest, HW = least depth.

The HW top 5 fighters are better overall than the top 5 WW fighters.

Cain, JDS, Overeem, Cormier, Mir > GSP, Condit, Koscheck, Hendricks, Diaz

Silva has been fighting since 2005, I don't know how that is being a prospect, lol

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 2:23 pm
by bartman316
Vinny Magalhaes a prospect? not sure if serious.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 3:07 pm
by macro6
Kris81 wrote: No. I don't get it, because two guys here who probably watch MMA more than others don't like GSP, we're all of a sudden related, or in collusion?

I get it, you like GSP. You probably also like the Toronto Maple Leafs, and think they have a real shot at winning every year, and as much as you hate the ownership for doing nothing to improve the team, and raising ticket prices every year, you'll still go to every game.

ha ha ha!
I was implying that you two like to spew a lot of BS (trolling) and as you can see, its working.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 3:54 pm
by VCR
Kris81 wrote: Silva has been fighting since 2005, I don't know how that is being a prospect, lol
:facepalm:

dude, Rory Mac has been fighting since 2005, yet YOU consider him a "prospect" .... lol.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 4:58 pm
by VCR
Back in September, 2013 ..... the following conversation took place in this forum:
Kris81 wrote: No one, because the Welterweight division is weak. Your toughest tests for GSP are probably Johnny Hendricks, Carlos Condit, and Erick Silva. The welterweight division always has been, and always will be the weakest.
VCR wrote: Do you mean weak as in the one that is least likely to have a title change? If so, I would say so with GSP being so ahead of his competition. His serious ACL injury and how he recovers from it is the x-factor on whether this will continue. But the fact that GSP has dominated the WW and was or is ahead of his competition shouldn't make it sound like there is a lack of depth in the division compared to the other weight classes.
Kris81 wrote: 1. yes, weakest by the lack of depth. When beating Marcus davis, Karo Parisian, Josh Koshceck on 1 week notice after he fought someone 2 weeks before, and Anthony Johnson gets you a title shot, there is a problem.
A few months later, December 1st, 2012:
Kris81 wrote: You are a terrible troll, all you do is follow me around trying to admit that my opinion is wrong, lol. You should look up the definition of opinion.

My opinion: WW = Weakest, HW = least depth.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: (Seven facepalms to honour GSP's seven consecutive title defenses)

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 5:04 pm
by VCR
Kris81 wrote: You are a terrible troll, all you do is follow me around trying to admit that my opinion is wrong, lol. You should look up the definition of opinion.
You responded to my post. I think I am entitled to offer my reply. What you call as "trolling" is what I call having a discussion. If you make a post on a public forum, there is a chance someone might respond to it. This is how a discussion board works.

I reject your "opinion" that I am a "terrible troll" and substitute it with my assertion that you go into hiding when your "opinions" are questioned.

Anyway, I kind of find it ironic that you accuse GSP of "ducking" Hendricks for supposedly an "easier" fight, when your opinions on this forum are challenged ....... you are not someone to stand behind them and pull the "just my opinion" card more often than not when they are criticized. Opinions are only as good as the person who makes them. I don't think it's asking too much of anyone here, including you, to at least try to back them up with some semblance of rationality.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 6:02 pm
by nineiron
VCR wrote: You responded to my post. I think I am entitled to offer my reply. What you call as "trolling" is what I call having a discussion. If you make a post on a public forum, there is a chance someone might respond to it. This is how a discussion board works.

I reject your "opinion" that I am a "terrible troll" and substitute it with my assertion that you go into hiding when your "opinions" are questioned.

Anyway, I kind of find it ironic that you accuse GSP of "ducking" Hendricks for supposedly an "easier" fight, when your opinions on this forum are challenged ....... you are not someone to stand behind them and pull the "just my opinion" card more often than not when they are criticized. Opinions are only as gIood as the person who makes them. I don't think it's asking too much of anyone here, including you, to at least try to back them up with some semblance of rationality.
and vcr's "opinion" is that gsp is exciting to watch. In other words, his opinion is worthless

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 6:16 pm
by VCR
nineiron wrote: and vcr's "opinion" is that gsp is exciting to watch. In other words, his opinion is worthless
Uh, no, my "opinions" are very valuable ........ in fact they are supported by the fact that GSP is the current "King of Pay Per Views" ................ in other words, MMA fans who vote with their wallets.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 6:40 pm
by VCR
macro6 wrote: You and Nineiron related?
Kris81 wrote: No. I don't get it, because two guys here who probably watch MMA more than others don't like GSP, we're all of a sudden related, or in collusion?
lol ...... 2 guys ..... 1 opinion ..... proof positive that "watching" MMA more doesn't necessarily mean understanding it more.

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 8:39 pm
by nineiron
VCR wrote: Uh, no, my "opinions" are very valuable ........ in fact they are supported by the fact that GSP is the current "King of Pay Per Views" ................ in other words, MMA fans who vote with their wallets.
Leaf fans vote with their wallets too.. doesn't mean $hit

Posted: Dec 2nd, 2012 1:51 am
by VCR
nineiron wrote: Leaf fans vote with their wallets too.. doesn't mean $hit
:facepalm:

Uh, It means a lot. It means the Leafs are the only nhl team with a valuation of 1B according to Forbes.