The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
BJ Penn should of been more aggressive in the first 2 rounds. Should of gave everything he had before getting beat down. Instead... he just got beat down period
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
GSP was just too big and strong for Penn. After the 1st takedown, it was all but over. Gotta give GSP credit, his game has improved ten-fold since their first meeting.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3631 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
thiago silva and Bj penn got ownedd none of these 2 matchups were even in my opinion both one sided. still good show of skills by machida and st pierre
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, I never knew that GSP had so much strategy coming into the fight... and good predictions!
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
That Pierre vs Penn fight was a little sad. I thought this would happen. I couldn't possibly see how Penn could gain so much weight correctly in what 6 months? it's a lot of work to be cut perfectly for a certain weight and I think Pierre is that for his weight class.

He just had too much strength. Even when Penn got up from the ground and ran Pierre into the fence, Pierre just turned him around and went for another take down.

Overall I thought it was a rather boring crowd. I'm happy Pierre won though, I didn't want to have that sinking feeling of crap if Penn had won the fight like I did when the Ultimate Warrior defeated Hogan :(
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
You know that GSP is way too powerful for Penn when he can pass his guard like a knife through butter because like Joe Rogan says, Penn has one of the best guards and nobody gets pass it that easily.

I was disappointed with Penn's boxing, what happened to his crisp jabs like in their first bout, it was nowhere to be found tonight.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
damn I was bad tonight

at least I got GSP right :lol:
and as far as I'm concerned Kim won too
Nov 5, 2005
651 posts
2 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: That Pierre vs Penn fight was a little sad. I thought this would happen. I couldn't possibly see how Penn could gain so much weight correctly in what 6 months? it's a lot of work to be cut perfectly for a certain weight and I think Pierre is that for his weight class.

He just had too much strength. Even when Penn got up from the ground and ran Pierre into the fence, Pierre just turned him around and went for another take down.

Overall I thought it was a rather boring crowd. I'm happy Pierre won though, I didn't want to have that sinking feeling of crap if Penn had won the fight like I did when the Ultimate Warrior defeated Hogan :(
Penn didn't do any weight adjustment. This is his normal walking weight.

Boring crowd? It was as engaged as you could expect. Cheering Guida, booing Karo's win, engaging with Machida, cheering for GSP/BJ... were you watching with the volume low?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
GSP's chess talk...
Wrestle so that blood goes to BJ's shoulders which pumps them up and hinders firing power thereby weakening BJ's jabs.
BJ's other two arms (legs) were useless against GSP's incredible balance and control of his own centre of gravity.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
revelation wrote: Penn didn't do any weight adjustment. This is his normal walking weight.
That is why he was over powered so easily. It's not enough to go in at your normal walking weight. You should have to cut weight. You need to have the correct balance of strength and endurance muscle. I don't believe even super star mma athletes walk around at the nominal point.
Boring crowd? It was as engaged as you could expect. Cheering Guida, booing Karo's win, engaging with Machida, cheering for GSP/BJ... were you watching with the volume low?
sorry, I don't know why I put the word crowd in there, I meant event. I don't need huge knock outs or anything but really it didn't seem that impressive to me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Oh gosh...this UFC event was...a little to hyped up

It was really good, but...some of hte fights were borrring

But WOW at GSP's performance...Penn didn't have a chnace...he just kept getting pounded and pounded

I want to see Penn at his proper weight class...GSP was wayyy too strong for him...Florian v. Penn, that should be good

but lol, all I could think of was all the ish talking Penn was doing...I wonder how he feels about that...and I wonder how this fight will affect Penn's future psyche...
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3050 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
zoolander wrote: GSP's chess talk...
Wrestle so that blood goes to BJ's shoulders which pumps them up and hinders firing power thereby weakening BJ's jabs.
BJ's other two arms (legs) were useless against GSP's incredible balance and control of his own centre of gravity.
I think that is Greg Jackson's strategy showing through there...his camp is starting to look more and more impressive and he seems to come up with really good strategies for his fighters.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
qeqw gets props for his prediction, but where's mine? :cheesygri
Mintmaster wrote: I'm going with GSP by TKO (strikes) in the fourth. I think he'll land a lot more shots now than in his last fight, and after getting hit a few times Penn will be unable to keep cleverly countering GSP's strength/athleticism, so he'll get mounted.
In his last fight vs. Penn, GSP didn't have nearly as good boxing. He couldn't avoid the jab, and he couldn't hit Penn very well. The current GSP is nothing like that young undeveloped fighter, and after a little pounding Penn could no longer defend takedowns or avoid getting passed for full mount or that vicious side control.

I honestly believe that Penn didn't do anything wrong. GSP just shored up his weaknesses and is too good in every aspect of MMA for any natural lightweight - whether champion/prodigy or not - to match.

Well done GSP!
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
anyone else find it ironic that BJ quit because his ass was getting handed to him after he called GSP a little ***** for tapping to strikes?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Viper98 wrote: anyone else find it ironic that BJ quit because his ass was getting handed to him after he called GSP a little ***** for tapping to strikes?
+1

Me and my buddies before we went out to watch the fight were watching UFC primetime, and stopped right after he said that, lol
What irony
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Also ironic is that BJ called GSP a quitter in the pre fight. I thought the fight would be epic but BJ was disappointing.

I also agree that Kim should have won the decision. He took the first two rounds.
Viper98 wrote: anyone else find it ironic that BJ quit because his ass was getting handed to him after he called GSP a little ***** for tapping to strikes?
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
Guess Penn is the little b*tch now. To the death must mean till I get my ass beat and my brother stops the fight for me.

In stead of saying Herb Dean stopped a call to the fight they should have said the b*tch wont answer the bell!

GSP crushed him. Maybe Penn should have tried working out a bit harder.

Damn that felt GUUUUUD!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Man on monday MCD's stock is going to tumble due to BJ's loss.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
For those people asking how BJ was the underdog before the fight, you can clearly see how moving up a weight class is a huge disadvantage. That first round really took a lot out of BJ when he was defending the takedown. You can see how when BJ had gas, that GSP couldn't take him down. And GSP's takedowns are top notch. And that was with maybe a 20 pound advantage.

The first round was the only competitive round - which was also the only round where BJ had the stamina to do anything. You could already see in the start of the 2nd that BJ was breathing through his mouth. After that, GSP just had his way with him. Penn's legs look like they have a mind of their own. I remembering seeing them grab GSP's leg to prevent the mount...or how they snake in from side guard to get to half guard

Machida's fight was actually pretty good. I thought he was more aggressive in this one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)