Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
Joke match of the year is tomorrow as Kimbo Slice takes on Ken Shamrock on the Bellator card on Spike. Bobby Lashley is also on the card.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
2617 posts
1233 upvotes
dell wrote: Joke match of the year is tomorrow as Kimbo Slice takes on Ken Shamrock on the Bellator card on Spike. Bobby Lashley is also on the card.
If this wasn't fixed I don't know what to say.

How could Shamrock not finish from that position? You'd have to be trying not to IMO.
If you can't find anyone else to blame :( .....You're just not looking hard enough. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Aldo injured. UFC 189 is in serious jeopardy :(
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote: Aldo injured. UFC 189 is in serious jeopardy :(
UFC already released a statement last night saying Aldo didn't have a fractured rib as originally thought, but they do have a contingency plan in place if he can't go.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/06/jose-aldo- ... y-in-place

Jose Aldo is not out of his UFC 189 main event title defense against Conor McGregor. But the UFC has a backup plan in place.

In a statement released late Wednesday, the UFC said if Aldo (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) cannot defend his featherweight title against McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) next month, McGregor still will fight for a belt. In the event of Aldo’s withdrawal, McGregor will meet two-time title challenger Chad Mendes (17-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) for an interim belt.

The severity of Aldo’s injury, the UFC said in the statement, is not as bad as initially feared.

“In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib,” the statement reads. “Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

“With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.”

The UFC went on to deliver the contingency plan involving Mendes:

“While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete. UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.”

Aldo vs. McGregor is slated to headline the card, with a title fight between welterweight champion Robbie Lawler (25-10 MMA, 10-4 UFC) and top contender Rory MacDonald (18-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) in the co-feature spot.

UFC 189 takes place July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

News of Aldo’s injury broke on Tuesday when it was reported the champion suffered a broken rib taking a kick in a training incident in his native Brazil – an initial prognosis that it turns out was incorrect.

Mendes is just one fight removed from his second title shot against Aldo. At UFC 179 this past October, he dropped a unanimous decision in a “Fight of the Night” winner. The only two losses of the Team Alpha Male standout’s career have come against Aldo. He was knocked out at UFC 142 in January 2012.

After that fight, Mendes went on a five-fight tear with four straight knockouts and a unanimous decision win over Nik Lentz to eventually earn his second title opportunity. After the loss this past fall, he rebounded in a big way with a first-round “Performance of the Night” TKO of fellow former title challenger Ricardo Lamas in the UFC Fight Night 63 main event in April.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Machida :(

He needs to take time off to work on the kinks in his game.
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Bummed out about Machida, but he just didn't look the same after the Rockhold fight. He should've taken a longer break, Brian stann even commented on it before the fight. I think he's been relegated to a gatekeeper spot at best now. His chances of another title shot seem pretty slim right now.
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Can't believe it! Was really looking forward to the fight! Not that Mendes is a bad replacement, but i think he just doesn't have enough time to prepare. Two week training camp isn't going to cut it. He has to make weight in a short period of time. Normally i would've picked him over McTalkALot, but now it's going to be a tough one.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
^ I want to bet on Mendes, also on Lawler since they're both underdogs in their respective fights.

Anyone know where I can make such a bet online?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
syedsalmanshah wrote: Never used it so do your research but nice odd's on both.

Chad, $100 gives you $225.

Robbie, $100 gives you $235.

http://ca.sportingbet.com/sports-ufc/0-390.html
I was wtf at that payout, wondering how that made any sense (I was thinking betting $100 on Mendes should give me $125 and Robbie $135) but I realized they were adding in my stake plus the winnings.

Oh and thanks.
Sep 23, 2011
322 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to this great fight card. I think we will see the WW title coming back to Canada this time around. Rory will be heavily prepared, make the necessary adjustments, and i think he will get it done this time. Lawler did win the first fight 29-28. Both Rory and Firas said afterwards that they regretted that Rory was too passive in the first round. If Rory was a bit more aggressive in the first round of the first fight, he would have possibly won that first fight. That fight was two years ago, and since that time, Rory has beaten 3 top ten WW's and looks like a different fighter. Firas, also mentioned that along with Rory had an injured ankle going into that fight, but Lawler was the better man that night.

Speaking of Lawler, i still feel Hendricks to me should still have the title around his waist. I watched Lawler vs. Hendricks 2 last week, and i am still stunned how the judges thought Lawler won that fight. One judge gave 4 rounds to Lawler, which was disgusting. Outside of the first round and the last couple of minutes of the 5th round, i thought Hendricks controlled that fight, and should have still the title around his waist. Hendricks did gas in the 5th round, but that should have not meant that Lawler won three rounds in that fight. Anyways, looking forward to Hendricks vs. Rory later on in the year at a Canadian City (most likely Toronto or Calgary) in December, with New York City out of the equation.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I know Rory didn't want to blow his load but he really goofed by not going for broke in round 4.

Really thought he should have thrown some body kicks instead of just front teeps and head kicks.

Even if Rory had won I don't think he'd be able to handle Hendricks.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Disappointing result for Rory. He really had his big shot at the start of the 4th but Lawler is too tough to put away. If Hendricks can't knock him out, Rory was going to have a hell of a time trying to do it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1056 posts
170 upvotes
old habits never die, Mendes was winning. he always get caught towards the end of the rounds cause he lets his guard down. same thing happened in the Aldo fight
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
gotrice wrote: old habits never die, Mendes was winning. he always get caught towards the end of the rounds cause he lets his guard down. same thing happened in the Aldo fight
He was gassing too though (body shots and the short notice fight probably didn't help either). Even if Mendes made it out of that round, I think he would've eventually been picked apart.
May 19, 2013
409 posts
4549 upvotes
Vaughan
LSZ wrote: He was gassing too though (body shots and the short notice fight probably didn't help either). Even if Mendes made it out of that round, I think he would've eventually been picked apart.
It was an early stoppage, but I agree. Seeing how gassed he was, Mendes would have probably been finished in the 3rd if he made it out of the 2nd.

After seeing this fight, I think McGregor takes Aldo, but Edgar wrecks McGregor.
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
No one else thinks this fight looked fixed? Watch the end of the Diego Brandao fight it is literally the exact same finish. 10 secs left in the round & Mendes just stands there hands down & walks away until he gets dropped. Not that i would blame him, probably got a nice payday to keep Dana & Lorenzo's cash cow going.

Lawler & Rory, slow start but man after that first headkick Rory just went off. I thought he had it but Lawler is tough a S.O.B as well. I think Rory was the better fighter tonight but luck wasn't on his side. A little more pressure & Robbie was done, he just backed off at the end which cost him the fight.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
LSZ wrote: He was gassing too though (body shots and the short notice fight probably didn't help either). Even if Mendes made it out of that round, I think he would've eventually been picked apart.
Yah he looked gassed. This definitely wasn't the Mendes from last year's FOTY against Aldo.

But if there's a rematch and Mendes has proper time to train, I think he'd ruin McGregor since he was for the most part winning this fight.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
have to keep in mind mcgregor wasn't training for mendes either so it's a huge adjustment having to deal with an elite wrestler when you haven't had much time to prepare for that style of fight.

tough loss for rory. if he would have made it out of the 5th he would have won the fight. he was winning on all 3 judges scorecards after the 4th.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)