The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Evil Baby wrote: wow, that is embarrassing.
no kidding

it's like

"hi mom!"
"OH....****..."
"I quit"
"durr I wasn't waving there was something in my glove"
Banned
Sep 1, 2008
466 posts
Toronto
nano wrote: I loved the way rampage grabbed the mic and said "there's gunna be some black on black crime"
Surprised you don't got the regular idiots from the Off-Topic thread jumping all over this as racist etc...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
lol at the bar we were at, there was about 10 of us and 100 people in the bar. They were giving away UFC 97 tickets, so my buddy beside me won so hopefully I am going to UFC 97, anyone else going?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
I wish there were more to the Carwin and Gonzaga fight, it's difficult to judge Carwin's overall skill set: stand-up, ground game of bjj & wrestling, full three round to test his endurance, there are too many unanswered questions besides he knocked out Gonzaga with his heavy hands.

Ugh, I'm glad the main event went to decision.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
YougDr3amer, I thought the fight was packed with information about Carwin's ability given that it was only 69 seconds.

We didn't know if he could take a punch, but he took two flush rights in a row from Gonzaga and still recovered pretty well. We didn't know about his ground defense, but he was in half guard with a 260 lb BJJ black belt on top of him while probably still a bit dazed. I was sure that it was going to be over. Nonetheless, he had the composure to keep Gonzaga close to his body with one hand and push Gonzaga's knee with the other to free his leg and get into full guard. Finally, he intelligently worked his way to a position from which he could stand back up. We also know that his punching power is seemingly unprecedented, as he was able to KO a fresh Gonzaga (a fighter who's been TKO'd but never KO'd) with a short right that was almost jab-like.

I really doubt that anyone can hold him down now. Not even Brock's hulking body. I would absolutely love to see Brock vs. Carwin, even if Brock loses to Mir and it's not a title shot.

There's lots to improve for Carwin, especially his stand-up defense (hopefully this fight will be a warning to him), but no gaping holes and nothing that can't be easily fixed with training.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1725 posts
122 upvotes
YoungDr3amer wrote: I wish there were more to the Carwin and Gonzaga fight, it's difficult to judge Carwin's overall skill set: stand-up, ground game of bjj & wrestling, full three round to test his endurance, there are too many unanswered questions besides he knocked out Gonzaga with his heavy hands.

Ugh, I'm glad the main event went to decision.

i think we seen a good amount, Carwin for the short time he was on the ground seemed overall awkward when gonzaga was on him. but he was able to power out and get back on his feet.
he seemed quite wobbly after the 2 separate shots Gonzaga gave him, but he got over it pretty quick.
i think striking wise he might be a bit overrated, even though he is deadly powerful.

eventually for Carwin Vs. Lesner....they might need to reinforce the cage for that match..
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Alienxx45 wrote: i think striking wise he might be a bit overrated, even though he is deadly powerful.
It does look a bit raw, but even as it stands there's no question as to its effectiveness, and refinement is a certainty. Just look at how much Matt Hamill improved from his TUF days to UFC 96. It's night and day.
Sep 13, 2008
408 posts
Gonzaga is an idiot
Don't get me wrong , i'm a big fan of his , but he just a moron
He start the fight very well , nice and sharp , had Carwin borderline ko'ed on the feet there
Why the hell he took Carwin down ? he should have just swarm on him with bombs and knock him out

Big props for Carwin though
He definitely got a solid chin ,very good recovery and obviously scary power
That being said , technically , his standup is just plain garbage
Robotic , stiff , telegraphed , no movement whatsoever
Exactly like Houston Alexander , just with (much) better chin and good wrestling
Jun 16, 2008
12 posts
Toronto
have 10 tickets for sale to the sold out UFC show on April 18 2009 in Montreal. I have 6 seats in 12th row from the octagon floor section 104, and another 6 in the row right behind (13th). These are great seats as you are elevated enough to see all the action in the ring and yet still very close. These seats face value are $450 (cost plus taxes and charges). These seats are going for around $900 on some site but I will sell for less.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=even...tCard&eid=1921

example of seat location for UFC not Celine dion
http://www.indux.com/map/Bell_Centre_Celine_Dion_tn.gif
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
rexkwondo wrote: have 10 tickets for sale to the sold out UFC show on April 18 2009 in Montreal. I have 6 seats in 12th row from the octagon floor section 104, and another 6 in the row right behind (13th). These are great seats as you are elevated enough to see all the action in the ring and yet still very close. These seats face value are $450 (cost plus taxes and charges). These seats are going for around $900 on some site but I will sell for less.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=even...tCard&eid=1921

example of seat location for UFC not Celine dion
http://www.indux.com/map/Bell_Centre_Celine_Dion_tn.gif
if by less you mean you will sell your tickets for face value then you shouldn't have any issues. You might want to check out the BST section though if you haven't already.

However if you're looking for more than face value you'll have to try elsewhere like ebay/kijiji/craigslist
No pirated/bootleg/illegal/trades allowed. You cannot disclose the inclusion of pirated games/applications/movies in any of your sale threads. Your price can also not reflect the inclusion of pirated games/applications/movies. Furthermore, the sale of fake purses or other branded goods is strictly prohibited. Selling tickets for an event above the ticket face value is illegal and not allowed.
No more than 2 active threads every 5 days in any Buy, Sell, and Trade subforum at all times. Re-use and edit threads whenever possible. This means you can either have 2 for sale threads, 2 want to buy threads, or one of each.
as per RFD BST rules.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
qeqw443 wrote: Why the hell he took Carwin down ? he should have just swarm on him with bombs and knock him out
Carwin had Gonzaga's arms tied up, and he couldn't lay any bombs. No fighter can in that situation. He could wait for the ref to break them up, but by then Carwin would be fully recovered and you'd probably see the same result.

Every analyst out there (and probably Gonzaga's camp too) thought Carwin would be in trouble if Gonzaga got on top of him. Gonzaga got a lot of wins that way, so why wouldn't he take the opportunity?

There isn't a fighter out there who is better from half-guard than standing up, and most certainly not Carwin. It makes no sense to pass on an opportunity to take him down.
That being said , technically , his standup is just plain garbage
Robotic , stiff , telegraphed , no movement whatsoever
Exactly like Houston Alexander , just with (much) better chin and good wrestling
Yeah, you go ahead and believe that.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Pretty sure Gonzaga is a blackbelt BJJ, and at 250lbs with him on top, you need hulk like strength to get him off of you. Plus after Gonzaga threw that punch (which would have knocked down 95% of other competitors), I think he preffered trying to finish on the ground.

Not sure if theres anybody else in HW that can go toe to toe with Carwin standup right now. Maybe Overeem. Kongo. Both of those would be good matchups.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
actyper wrote: Pretty sure Gonzaga is a blackbelt BJJ, and at 250lbs with him on top, you need hulk like strength to get him off of you. Plus after Gonzaga threw that punch (which would have knocked down 95% of other competitors), I think he preffered trying to finish on the ground.

Not sure if theres anybody else in HW that can go toe to toe with Carwin standup right now. Maybe Overeem. Kongo. Both of those would be good matchups.
I'd like to see Brock and Carwin

I'm sure Lesnar's chin is great and he's got more punching power than GG would too. That could be a real war

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)