The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3818 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
TimelessVictory wrote: His translator is his manager Ed Soares who manages most of the Blackhouse Fighters (Anderson Silva, Big Nog, Little Nog) so he probably just reminded him to say something that results in good PR which Lyoto did lol. Lyoto seems like he understands english fairly well at this point, at interviews and press conferences he seems like he's ready to answer before the translator talks and he tries to answer alot of questions in english also so good effort.

As for Liz Carmouche looking alot like Urijah Faber it was mentioned that at the post fight presser lol. Faber commented how Liz's submission attempt was alot like his and he could already see the headlines saying the "Twins" with similar submissions lol. Good showing for women's MMA in the main event seems like Liz Carmouche got alot of love at the post fight presser from the media and was pretty gracious and intelligent with the questions even in defeat, very classy. DW commented that she could have whatever she wants a new table and new couch lol (watch Primetime). Ronda was also very honest and classy at the presser and shared a good laugh with Liz at the end when Liz mentioned how she had a few bite marks on her arm when she tried to choke/face crank Ronda lol.

Anyone else notice Kenny Robertson's hamstring submission that was a sick move, never seen that before he needs to name it lol. In other news DW revealed that Aldo's camp doesn't want the Pettis fight, they think he doesn't deserve it put DW seems pretty pissed and says the fights going to happen lol. Lets see how that plays out but I think Aldo is a warrior he'll take the fight. But good showing for women's mma tonight and I think they will keep the momentum going.
Only reason i mention it is because he trys to say something in his ear privately but its caught on the mic. Assumed he was saying "apologize" or something but just wanted to know.

And yeah, saw the post fight press conference, pretty funny. Seen better ones, and it seemed kinda short, but always enjoyable. I don't really think womens will do too well though. Big numbers right now cuz its new, but after a few times, its gonna die off.... unless the girls are hot.

Funny you should mention kennys submission. I posted this on fb when i saw that lol

5 hours ago
WOW, Kenny Robertson submission = siiiick!! Wonder what they're gonna call it.

Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
TimelessVictory wrote: In other news DW revealed that Aldo's camp doesn't want the Pettis fight, they think he doesn't deserve it put DW seems pretty pissed and says the fights going to happen lol. Lets see how that plays out but I think Aldo is a warrior he'll take the fight.
I side with Aldo on this one. Seriously, what has Pettis done to deserve a shot at the 145lbs title?

He was next in like for Ben Henderson/Melendez. Either he waits, or he should fight someone at 145lbs before fighting for the title. It's only fair. Who knows if he could even make the weight cut. What happens if he signs a contract, they go through the rounds and then Pettis just can't make the weight?
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Kris81 wrote: I side with Aldo on this one. Seriously, what has Pettis done to deserve a shot at the 145lbs title?

He was next in like for Ben Henderson/Melendez. Either he waits, or he should fight someone at 145lbs before fighting for the title. It's only fair. Who knows if he could even make the weight cut. What happens if he signs a contract, they go through the rounds and then Pettis just can't make the weight?
So, if the Spider decides he can make 170lbs and wants a superfight with GSP and the number one contender is bypassed (Condit/Hendricks winner) would you be OK with that?

I think the UFC can "justify" the Pettis vs. Aldo fight is because they think more fans would rather see that match-up versus whoever the number one contender is in that weight class. It's a good "business" decision and imo, would be supported by the majority of their fanbase. I'd rather see Pettis vs. Aldo versus whoever the next guy is in line for a title shot, and I'd rather see a Superfight with The Spider vs. GSP even if it hurts Condit/Hendricks winner's "feelings" about this matter.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
1133 posts
145 upvotes
VCR wrote: So, if the Spider decides he can make 170lbs and wants a superfight with GSP and the number one contender is bypassed (Condit/Hendricks winner) would you be OK with that?

I think the UFC can "justify" the Pettis vs. Aldo fight is because they think more fans would rather see that match-up versus whoever the number one contender is in that weight class. It's a good "business" decision and imo, would be supported by the majority of their fanbase. I'd rather see Pettis vs. Aldo versus whoever the next guy is in line for a title shot, and I'd rather see a Superfight with The Spider vs. GSP even if it hurts Condit/Hendricks winner's "feelings" about this matter.
Yea I think DW was basically saying the same thing. True its unfair from a competitive stand point for top challengers to drop weight classes and get immediate title shots but sometimes its just good business. Its not amateur fighting or an Olympic sport, its the fight business and there is a reason why Chael is fighting JJ lol. DW was saying how he explained to Aldo's manager Andre Pederneiras that if Aldo decides to move up to 155 to challenge for the Lightweight title he wouldn't make him take a number one contender fight before getting the title shot so thats how it works sometimes in the UFC. Big name fight means you'll get paid more especially for PPV so that should be good for Aldo, he's a warrior he'll take the fight.

Reminds me of the one bts Vlog where Dana was telling Lorenzo his conversation with Cain when Overeem lost lol. Good news: you are the undisputed #1 Heavyweight, Bad news: you just lost a lot of money, funny but true especially for the champions who are not on Anderson, GSP, JJ or Lesnar PPV level deals. Aldo, Cain, Bendo, Cruz, Mighty Mouse probably got pay raises after winning the title and make good money but they don't make GSP/ Anderson money so super fights are good business. Aldo probably got paid well after the Frankie fight and Cain will get paid well with his new 8 fight deal.
ShaTR wrote: Only reason i mention it is because he trys to say something in his ear privately but its caught on the mic. Assumed he was saying "apologize" or something but just wanted to know.
I don't really think womens will do too well though. Big numbers right now cuz its new, but after a few times, its gonna die off.... unless the girls are hot.

Lol the next fight should be good Miesha Tate and Cat Zingano are both pretty attractive and can fight. Bring back Gina for a Rousey superfight lol.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
To whom it may concern: This thread was created to discuss the forthcoming UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz PPV Fight Card.

[IMG] http://i48.tinypic.com/xf3urm.jpg[/IMG]

Date: March 16, 2013
Venue: Bell Centre
City: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT (Main Card)
Viewing: PPV

(Card Subject to Change)

Main Card:
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Nick Diaz
Welterweight Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher

Preliminary Card (FX):

Welterweight Patrick Côté vs. Bobby Voelker
Welterweight Rick Story vs. Quinn Mulhern
Featherweight Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
Lightweight John Makdessi vs. Daron Cruickshank

Preliminary Card (Facebook):
Welterweight Dan Miller vs. Jordan Mein
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Johnny Eduardo
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Dana White: Nick Diaz 'close' to losing UFC 158 fight with Georges St-Pierre
by John Morgan and Matt Erickson on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:45 am ET

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/d ... -st-pierre

[QUOTE]ANAHEIM, Calif. – UFC President Dana White doesn't want to scrap the UFC 158 headliner of Georges St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) vs. Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC), but on Saturday night he said if the challenger doesn't change his ways, that may be exactly what happens.

"I hope we don't come to that," White said following Saturday's post-UFC 157 press conference. "I'm really close. I don't want to be. I don't want to do this. It sucks."

Diaz is currently scheduled to face welterweight champ St-Pierre at next month's UFC 158 event in Montreal. The reason for the potential change is eerily similar to the series of events that saw an October 2011 bout scrapped. That planned UFC 137 fight was tossed aside when Diaz failed to show for a pair of pre-event press conferences.

This time around, the former Strikeforce champ missed three separate interview sessions, leaving a video crew hoping to produce a "UFC Primetime" series without a subject to tape, White said.

"He did not (show up) – neither did his brother Nate," White said. "And we spent over $50,000 in production costs and guys cruising around Stockton, Calif., and not interviewing people.

"It's not funny. We're very cool and very lenient in a lot of ways. Look at this company. Look how we are. We let a lot of things fly. But that's just absolute bulls---."

Diaz's attorney, Jonathan Tweedale, claims his client did not, in fact, miss any scheduled appointments. However, White said he since has spoken to Tweedale, and the two are now on the same page. He also said Diaz since has complied with video requests and that his brother and fellow UFC fighter is also expected to do the same.

Should that all go according to the current plan, then the much-anticipated March 16 contest will not be in jeopardy. But for now, White seems a little tense, especially on the heels of the commendable media efforts of UFC 157 headliners Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche.

"We've treated Nate and Nick with respect," White said. "Anytime they come in and want to negotiate their contracts, we do the things, we're good to everybody. At least give us the respect to show up and not blow $50 grand on not showing up for interviews you're supposed to do.

"All the fans are like, 'Shut up, Dana. Let Nick fight.' You shut up, idiots. This is how it works. This is the job. This is what we do. Go to your f---ing job and tell your boss, 'I don't want to this or that.' That's not how it works. It's part of the job. I've shown the Diaz brothers a ton of respect. They can show some respect back. I hope I don't even have to think about that. It's the last thing on earth I want to do."[/QUOTE]

It may be DW being overly dramatic about the situation regarding Diaz but I hope the UFC has a contingency plan in place in case they decide to remove Diaz from the Main Event and be forced to cancel the card. I suspect they would inform Hendricks to be prepared to replace Diaz on short notice. I think GSP would be pressured to accept the fight on short notice even if Greg Jackson and his advisors suggest otherwise given that the fight is in his home city.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
TimelessVictory wrote: Lol the next fight should be good Miesha Tate and Cat Zingano are both pretty attractive and can fight. Bring back Gina for a Rousey superfight lol.
Miesha Tate & Cat Zingano: Not Impressed With Rousey's Performance

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
glover78 wrote: Why the separate thread for this?
My reasons can be found in this thread which is found in the Site Comments & Suggestions Forum:

"[Merged] Separate the SPORTS and FITNESS forums into their own forums - VOTE!"

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-s ... st16395476

Any further concerns or issues pertaining to the creation of this thread by you OR any other forum user here should be discussed in that thread.

Thank you for your co-operation.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
1133 posts
145 upvotes
Nice, entertaining interview. Ariel does a good job at asking instigating questions, but its good to hear some honest answers and its entertaining. Rampage hates it though seems like he's not a fan of Ariel Helwani but the Rampage/ Ariel Helwani/ Marcus Brimage/ Interview was legendary. Its awesome when someone takes a crack at his fashion choices
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
the colors....
VCR wrote: Miesha Tate & Cat Zingano: Not Impressed With Rousey's Performance

Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
i support this motion.
in fact, i think every single UFC related post should be a separate thread.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Poster reminds of this

[IMG]http://www.arcade-gear.com/Games/Street ... _PCE_A.jpg[/IMG]
VCR wrote: To whom it may concern: This thread was created to discuss the forthcoming UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz PPV Fight Card.

[IMG] http://i48.tinypic.com/xf3urm.jpg[/IMG]

Date: March 16, 2013
Venue: Bell Centre
City: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT (Main Card)
Viewing: PPV

(Card Subject to Change)

Main Card:
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Nick Diaz
Welterweight Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
Middleweight Nick Ring vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Mike Ricci vs. Colin Fletcher

Preliminary Card (FX):

Welterweight Patrick Côté vs. Bobby Voelker
Welterweight Rick Story vs. Quinn Mulhern
Featherweight Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
Lightweight John Makdessi vs. Daron Cruickshank

Preliminary Card (Facebook):
Welterweight Dan Miller vs. Jordan Mein
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Johnny Eduardo
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3758 posts
186 upvotes
Longobongo wrote: meh final match, rousey is useless without the armbar
useless?
so those 2-3 minutes of having liz in side control in a headlock pounding away was nothing....
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Longobongo wrote: Poster reminds of this
Yeah, the UFC hasn't been afraid to "borrow" marketing ideas from others. Their UFC Primetime Series has been heavily influenced by what HBO had done previously with their 24/7 documentary style profiles used to hype up big Boxing match-up (and more recently with the NHL Winter Classic Participants.).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
To be honest, losing Diaz would probably be a hit on the buyrates for this fight, but this should really be Hendricks' fight anyway so I hope he gets it.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
i hope gsp loses because i dont like him
not because of gsp himself, because of his annoying obnoxious fans who think he is a god

his fights are usually boring too
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
flashy_mcflash wrote: To be honest, losing Diaz would probably be a hit on the buyrates for this fight, but this should really be Hendricks' fight anyway so I hope he gets it.
Unless there is a valid reason for Nick Diaz to back out of the match i.e medical reasons, either a physical disability/injury or a medically diagnosed mental illness to prevent him from competing, it's seems that will be the final straw and i can see DW/UFC cutting him and out of spite they might also give his brother the walking papers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)