The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
There's some great footage from MMALive (ESPN's show) that illustrates how intelligent GSP is:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=387604 ... id=2881270
GSP's interview is 36 minutes in and you'll need to download that much before watching the segment, but the whole show is well done and is worth watching. I know he used the wrong terminology, but still.

A shorter clip with content similar to some of the earlier quotes in this thread:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=387609 ... id=2881270

We've seen a few fights now where he talks about strategy after a win now. Remember when he talked about using the low kick to set up a fake that results in a head kick to knock down Hughes?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
nothing should come down on GSP because of the vaseline incident but if something does, the most it should be is a small fine or something like that.

What UFC and the commission should do is basically not allow that cornerman in the cage (he can be outside chatting to GSP) and have GSP hire someone else for that job. Thats the easiest way to handle this decision.

BJ Penn is just complaining because he was manhandled and already tired after the first round. Why can't he handle the loss? GSP's back was wiped anyways for even if a little vaseline was still on his back, it would have no affect on the outcome of the match.
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote: nothing should come down on GSP because of the vaseline incident but if something does, the most it should be is a small fine or something like that.

BJ Penn is just complaining because he was manhandled and already tired after the first round. Why can't he handle the loss? GSP's back was wiped anyways for even if a little vaseline was still on his back, it would have no affect on the outcome of the match.
Umm.. have you ever used vaseline before?
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
The vaseline isn't visible, but here is the rubbing in question. Notice the NSAC on the right trying to wipe it off in the first gif.

BJ [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2cz2g6q.gif[/IMG]
Fitch [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2qk8gae.gif[/IMG]
Serra [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/333dd2x.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Sherdog... The residue obviously helped GSP pass BJ's guard twenty times, helped GSP take BJ down at will after round one, helped GSP land hundreds of punches and elbows to BJ's face, and stay in complete control on the ground for four rounds.

It also caused GSP to win the stand up... LOL
[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
the little bit of vaseline on his back would have been even less than that which would have transferred from BJ's face to GSP's back if he had ever been able to get his back.

in no way, shape, or form did it affect the fight
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
GSP's corner should be ashamed of themselves!

Oh well, at least this should never happen again in the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
Great collection of gifs zoolander.

Interesting... for those who watched the fight, do you think the outcome of the fight had more to do with:
a) the vaseline
or
b) GSP's Wrestling + BJ's horrible cardio

I'm going confidently say B.

GSP won.
All you BJPenn fanboys accept it. Your cakeface hilo boy got dominated for 15 minutes. You should get used to the feeling because in a couple months, you'll have the same feeling after kenny florian beats him too.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
wonder if we'll see Penn vs. GSP III

Probably never, but if it did happen, man, I wonder how much ish BJ would be talking about the petrollium jelly
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
I'm going to have to steal a post made my a mma.tv member since I thought it was very nicely said.

PaxRomain - There are some serious morons here. No one is inferring from the gifs that a fighter merely being rubbed is being greased up. It is the fact that the cornerman clearly takes vasoline off the back of his hand in the gifs and then proceeds to rub GSP's neck, shoulders, and then his back. If you're showing up pages later and denying that GSP had any vasoline rubbed on him, you're an idiot. Please delete your account. It's not debatable at this point.

Furthermore, the comissioner saw the vasoline appliance take place from his own vantage point and he came in screaming at GSP's corner. Chuck saw it as well too.

Also, a towel does not remove vasoline. Once again, this is another statement from the typical doofus that posts on these forums. VASOLINE IS NOTORIOUSLY HARD TO REMOVE, even with soap and water. A simple search on google would reveal articles detailing the difficulty of removing it. So no, wiping even thoroughly with a towel wouldn't have removed the vasoline.

For the die-hard Penn haters, no one is claiming that GSP wouldn't have won without it; even Rudy, who filed the complaint, said that GSP was the better fighter. Vasoline is not a magic bullet for domination like that. But even though GSP didn't need vasoline to win, it doesn't excuse cheating. "LOL WHO CARES IF IT WAS CHEATING HE WOULDA PWNED HIM NE WAY" is a dumb line of logic; maybe GSP should have riddled him with an AK-47 at the beginning of round 1 since he's so much better.

We want to see fair fights with fighters and cornermen abiding by rules. Even GSP fans have posted here agreeing with this sentiment. Understand it.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
shannn wrote: wonder if we'll see Penn vs. GSP III

Probably never, but if it did happen, man, I wonder how much ish BJ would be talking about the petrollium jelly
I doubt it as most people, even the die-hard Penn fans realize that GSP is the better fighter and would have beaten him with or without the grease.

I have no idea with there was any grease in the first round, but I know that it would affect BJ Penn's rubber guard and high guard.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
gwu wrote: Great collection of gifs zoolander.

Interesting... for those who watched the fight, do you think the outcome of the fight had more to do with:
a) the vaseline
or
b) GSP's Wrestling + BJ's horrible cardio

I'm going confidently say B.

GSP won.
All you BJPenn fanboys accept it. Your cakeface hilo boy got dominated for 15 minutes. You should get used to the feeling because in a couple months, you'll have the same feeling after kenny florian beats him too.
I haven't heard of any people saying that Penn would have won and that the vaseline was a deciding factor of the fight. Some people are complaining out of the principle and rightly so. Personally, I felt that the commission should have kept a closer eye on this not only in this fight but some of GSP's previous fights. Previous fighters have complained about GSP's corner greasing him such as Mayhem Miller, Matt Serra and Jon Fitch. Penn's corner had also warned the commission to keep a close eye on these activities.

A simple swipe of a towel will not get vaseline off you, even a deep rub would be difficult. I'm hoping that they will at least take some action so that this will not happen again but somehow I think they will sweep it under the rug since GSP is one of Zuffa's poster boys.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
Vaseline ... whatever, might as well been KY Jelly the way GSP screwed Penn over. :lol: I'd use the F word but this is a family forum. :razz:

In any case, i'd love for GSP's camp to go to the UFC and say:

"Fine, let's do GSP/Penn 3, this time you answer the bell, no tapping, no quitting and take your damage like a man ..."

Apart from the money issue, I wonder what Penn would say in the very, very probable immense beating he would receive the next time?

I'm sure he would say "Sure" but would know that he was going to get his ass kicked ... again.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2678 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
snider wrote: PaxRomain - There are some serious morons here. No one is inferring from the gifs that a fighter merely being rubbed is being greased up. It is the fact that the cornerman clearly takes vasoline off the back of his hand in the gifs and then proceeds to rub GSP's neck, shoulders, and then his back.
Out of curiosity, which GIF is that? I've seen rubbing implying transfer from the face, but nothing yet showing the cornerman taking grease from the back of hand and then rubbing the body.

I was always under the impression that officials were the only ones that could do any greasing, including the face. Isn't that what we see at the beginning of each fight? Obviously I'm not clear on the rules here.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
snider wrote: I doubt it as most people, even the die-hard Penn fans realize that GSP is the better fighter at 170 and would have beaten him with or without the grease.
fixed

Your statement would be true if GSP can beat him at 155... Which is probably impossible for GSP to cut down to...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
As can be seen in my previous posts I am a big/long time Penn fan.
Hopefully the vaseline incident does not go past what it already has. Penn simply got dominated by a fighter who is much stronger and with a great technique was able to neturalize a opponent with great BJJ.

IDK why all the Penn hate, this is a guy who dominates the 155 division and wants to take the hardest fights he can. I like GSP to, and thought he would win but was hoping for a bit more of a war.

I just discard the comments made about BJ being a cakeface or being out of shape, it is just keyboard warriors at their finest. BJ was dominated, no wonder he was fatigued, he took a pounding against a guy who weights how much more than him? for 20 minutes. Any fighter would be tired.

Yes, there is no doubt GSP is a better fighter at 170 than Penn. A lot of that does have to do with size. I think GSP is more well rounded and well suited for MMA with his style, but there is a reason why Penn is so respected among his peers in MMA.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
[quote="

IDK why all the Penn hate, this is a guy who dominates the 155 division and wants to take the hardest fights he can. I like GSP to, and thought he would win but was hoping for a bit more of a war.
.[/QUOTE"]

That was just the right amount of war. All GSP! I think Penn is a great fighter too, but all his ***** talking makes me glad he got f'd up. That is where my hate comes from.

His smack talking makes Tito look like a church girl on Sunday.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Double_J wrote: That was just the right amount of war. All GSP! I think Penn is a great fighter too, but all his ***** talking makes me glad he got f'd up. That is where my hate comes from.

His smack talking makes Tito look like a church girl on Sunday.
I've never liked BJ Penn and have always considered him to be one of the most over rated fighters in the UFC ever since his comeback at least

sure he beat Matt Hughes but that was like 5 years ago....aside from hughes his only credible opponents have been GSP(lost 2x), Machida(lost) and Sherk(won)

and I don't personally think going the distance against Machida is that big of an accomplishment even at a lower weight class :!:

BJ is just like Soko imo. Sokoudjou comes in and KOs lil nog and arona and get hyped up as an amazing fighter but then he fails massively after he gets hyped
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Going the distance when you are a natural LW fighting a natural LHW at HW is pretty impressive. Machida is no slouch. Penn has also faught and won at 185. Also, Gomi was another opponent he knocked off in a fight many considered Penn to be the underdog.
Viper98 wrote: BJ is just like Soko imo. Sokoudjou comes in and KOs lil nog and arona and get hyped up as an amazing fighter but then he fails massively after he gets hyped
Bj Penn destroyed Sherk like no other fighter has before. At 155 Penn is a monster. He is hyped up because he has earned it. This is a guy who was beating black belt BJJ's when he had a white belt and won nationals after 3 years of training. When he first entered the UFC, he was quite young and knocked off some great fighters. There is a reason for the hype. Penn is prehaps the most naturally gifted fighter in the sport but the physical aspect is what is missing. There is a reason why he gets so much credibility from his peers.

After Penn beat Hughes, I became a fan because he wanted to fight the best fighters in any weight class and in any promotion and that is what drew me in originally.

GSP is a monster at 170, with his strength and technique I thought GSP would win but in more of a war. Good for GSP, I do not think anyone will be taking that WW strap away from him for a while. But I also do not think anyone will be taking the LW title from Penn for a while either.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
CSR wrote: No, if you watched the broadcast until the end, they showed BJ's brother signaling to the doctor to stop the fight with a "hand to the throat" (cutting) action.
Yes, that is what I am saying. I did not see BJ Penn make a signal to quit. The doctor also recommended a stoppage and JD Penn signaled to end it. They announced it as Ref Stoppage but I think it was a coner stoppage, thats what they have it listed on sherdog anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)