Sports & Recreation

The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
actyper wrote: What is the best movie that an mma fighter has appeared in?

Haven't seen Spirit, Transporter 3, Tekken

Scorpion King 2 (Couture) was ok
Rebelt was disappointing (Couture)
Cyborg (Franklin) was awful
Zombie strippers (Tito) ??
Cung Le is in the upcoming Tekken film and a mainstream film with Terrance Howard called Fighter.

Couture is going to be in Sly Stallone's The Expendables which has an insane cast with Sly, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Dundgren, Forrest Whitaker. Rumor has it JCVD turned down a role and ironically Dolph took his place.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Thats a messed up cast. Jet and Statham are amongst my favourites. sly & dolph/jcvd are washouts. Rourke was too before his wrestler movie.
Jan 9, 2009
1 posts
New registered user here. This is a great site! I'm a big MMA fan so I was thrilled to see an MMA thread here. I actually went to see UFC 92 in Vegas and used the Vegas thread in the Travel Forum to help me set-up the trip. If anyone has a chance to see one live, go!

I usually get the PPV's at home but couldn't get UFC 90 and 91 from Rogers on PPV night due to technical issues. I did get replays the next day, but I was PO'd since I had people over. Rogers has always worked before with no issues. This uncertainty, plus the weaker card has me thinking of seeing UFC 93 at a bar. Any suggestions for downtown Toronto where the food and drinks are reasonably priced and the sightlines good? I have heard the Diesel Playhouse is a nice place, but it's not listed on their website. Are the European cards less shown at bars since they start in the afternoon? Thanks in advance.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Vegas Dude wrote: New registered user here. This is a great site! I'm a big MMA fan so I was thrilled to see an MMA thread here. I actually went to see UFC 92 in Vegas and used the Vegas thread in the Travel Forum to help me set-up the trip. If anyone has a chance to see one live, go!

I usually get the PPV's at home but couldn't get UFC 90 and 91 from Rogers on PPV night due to technical issues. I did get replays the next day, but I was PO'd since I had people over. Rogers has always worked before with no issues. This uncertainty, plus the weaker card has me thinking of seeing UFC 93 at a bar. Any suggestions for downtown Toronto where the food and drinks are reasonably priced and the sightlines good? I have heard the Diesel Playhouse is a nice place, but it's not listed on their website. Are the European cards less shown at bars since they start in the afternoon? Thanks in advance.
I suggest getting a FTA receiver

Edit with that said euro events are on Spike in NA
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
kcotoulas wrote: this one is PPV
well that sucks. I was gonna be PVRing it to watch after work that day

now I'm gonna have to watcha replay :(

I went to Spike to check and found this hilarious MMA article

http://www.spike.com/blog/nude-man-arrested-at/72573

By Tisa Smart Washington
Covington News
Jan. 6, 2009

Officers with the Covington Police Department arrested a nude man looking for a fight Sunday at the Wal-Mart on Industrial Boulevard.

According to the incident report, Jeffrey Pickett said he wanted to be a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter and was looking for someone to battle. MMA fighters utilize martial arts techniques from several disciplines during combat.

Pickett said he wanted to practice his tap outs, which is used by a fighter to signal he no longer wishes to continue fighting. The move is usually done once an opponent had been forced into submission.

Pickett, who undressed in parking lot, said he knew he could find someone to fight with if he were nude.

Witnesses in the parking lot said they saw him standing outside his vehicle in the nude and that he jumped in the car when officers arrived. Officers saw him putting his shorts on when they arrived.

Pickett was arrested and transported to the Newton County Jail, where he was charged with indecent exposure.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
alright joe now come to ontario!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
20 upvotes
Unless Hayashi drops dead not even Joe's "Roganism" quotes can't help bring MMA to ontario. Unless they do it on a native reserve because there was an MMA show near hamilton at an indian reserve not too long ago with Anderson Silva in attendance.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: alright joe now come to ontario!
Jesus Christ himself could come to Ontario to push for changes, MMA will not be allowed in Ontario anytime in the near future. Whoever it is that makes those decisions (can't remember his name) is an old guy that is completely out of touch with the modern world. He's letting his personal opinion stand in the way of a professional competition/sport and that's not going to change any time soon.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Shaner wrote: Jesus Christ himself could come to Ontario to push for changes, MMA will not be allowed in Ontario anytime in the near future. Whoever it is that makes those decisions (can't remember his name) is an old guy that is completely out of touch with the modern world. He's letting his personal opinion stand in the way of a professional competition/sport and that's not going to change any time soon.
someone should show him footage of hockey
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Shaner wrote: Jesus Christ himself could come to Ontario to push for changes, MMA will not be allowed in Ontario anytime in the near future. Whoever it is that makes those decisions (can't remember his name) is an old guy that is completely out of touch with the modern world. He's letting his personal opinion stand in the way of a professional competition/sport and that's not going to change any time soon.
Well I just sent Peter Kormos a email asking why MMA was not allowed in Ontario. He's my MPP, and he's pretty out spoken. I'm not sure what side of the debate(if there is one) he falls on though.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
[QUOTE]--I saw the Countdown to UFC 93 show and it's too bad Spike didn't pick it up. There was solid build for Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson, but the star of the piece was Mark Coleman building up the Shogun Rua match. The second half of the show was really of must-see quality. The show will air in Canada on Tuesday night at 9 p.m. on Sportsnet Ontario[/QUOTE]
Observer
Sep 13, 2008
408 posts
you don't need to wait for tuesday
the full video of 93 countdown is on the ufc website

pretty crappy and boring imo
ufc trying hard to build a fake drama with the coleman\shogun rematch
and they didn't even show the hilarious backstage chuteboxe\hammerhouse\rampage confrontation after coleman tried to apologize
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Ken Hayashi is the dude. While I do not agree with him, I believe that he is just interpeting law and he believes it would be illegal. IDK, but if you believed what you were doing was illegal, would you do it?
Section 83.1 of the Criminal Code which says anyone who "engages as a principal in a prize fight," encourages, promotes or is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter is guilty of an offence -- unless the "boxing contest" is "held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province."
From the same section.
"a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass."
Hayashi believes MMA is not a boxing match.

Yes, they hold MMA events on reserves here in Ontario but the UFC would never hold a event on a reserve. How profitable would that be.

Vancouver outlawed it but other parts of BC still hold events once in a while.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2003
1249 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
rich franklin says people want to see him fight henderson.

not for me. i'd rather see him try to fight anderson silva again...
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
Praetorian wrote: rich franklin says people want to see him fight henderson.

not for me. i'd rather see him try to fight anderson silva again...
so you want to see him get pummeled to the point of no return......again.

I'd rather see Franklin vs Henderson.

Concerning MMA in Ontario, it won't happen anytime soon. There is no pressure to do so especially considering that the people sanctioning these kinds of things are completely out of touch with the modern world and modern fight sports.

The best thing is for MMA to get sanctioned in New York. If that were too happen then it might give Ontario MMA a fighting chance.

The reserves idea will never work. You need it to be sanctioned so that fights can occur in the ACC. It will bring great business concerning UFC is still on the rise.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3909 posts
295 upvotes
Caledon
[QUOTE]Judging by the fall-out from December's "UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008," longtime referee Steve Mazzagatti did not have his best performance.

A perceived slow response to end both the Cheick Kongo vs. Mostapha al Turk and Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin bouts led UFC President Dana White to say Mazzagatti was "a nice guy, but he's not a referee," at the post-event press conference.

The even-keeled Mazzagatti recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he wasn't even aware White was upset.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Mazzagatti said.

In both cases, there was no doubt as to the winner of the bout. The concern expressed from White stemmed from the amount of uncontested shots al Turk and Griffin were allowed to take after the outcome of the bout had been unquestionably determined.

And White wasn't the only one critical of Mazzagatti's stoppages. UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian also made his opinion known on a recent episode of ESPN.com's ESPN Live.

"I think someone should have gotten [Mazzagatti] glasses for Christmas," Florian said. "I'll be honest, he really has been late with a lot of his calls, and it has been a consistent thing with him."

While the public outcry may be predominantly negative, the only opinion that truly matters is that of his employer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission. And Mazzagatti said that relationship is doing just fine.

"The commission is happy with my performance," Mazzagatti said. "Enforcing the rules isn't always going to be popular. I pride myself on trying to enforce the rules. That's what it's all about."

The NSAC appoints referees to all bouts under their jurisdiction. So while White may publicly voice his disapproval of Mazzagatti's performance, it is ultimately up to NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer to decide where the embattled referee will work.

Attempts to reach Kizer for comment on Mazzagatti's stature were unsuccessful.

As for Mazzagatti, he has no problem returning to officiate another UFC bout, despite all the criticism.

"Not at all," Mazzagatti said.
[/QUOTE]

He cant be that clueless to how bad his judging has been lately.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)