The Official UFC & MMA thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 8:24 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
phomp wrote: Going the distance when you are a natural LW fighting a natural LHW at HW is pretty impressive. Machida is no slouch. Penn has also faught and won at 185. Also, Gomi was another opponent he knocked off in a fight many considered Penn to be the underdog.

Bj Penn destroyed Sherk like no other fighter has before. At 155 Penn is a monster. He is hyped up because he has earned it. This is a guy who was beating black belt BJJ's when he had a white belt and won nationals after 3 years of training. When he first entered the UFC, he was quite young and knocked off some great fighters. There is a reason for the hype. Penn is prehaps the most naturally gifted fighter in the sport but the physical aspect is what is missing. There is a reason why he gets so much credibility from his peers.

After Penn beat Hughes, I became a fan because he wanted to fight the best fighters in any weight class and in any promotion and that is what drew me in originally.

GSP is a monster at 170, with his strength and technique I thought GSP would win but in more of a war. Good for GSP, I do not think anyone will be taking that WW strap away from him for a while. But I also do not think anyone will be taking the LW title from Penn for a while either.
I don't think anyone will be getting the LW belt from BJ any time soon either but that's more to do with how much of a joke the LW division is. Tyson Griffin is the only LW fighter in the UFC I have any respect for
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: I don't think anyone will be getting the LW belt from BJ any time soon either but that's more to do with how much of a joke the LW division is. Tyson Griffin is the only LW fighter in the UFC I have any respect for
what about Florian?
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
rems wrote: what about Florian?
meh

I haven't been impressed by him but it might be because he's a TUF guy and that automatically puts my bias against him...................
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: meh

I haven't been impressed by him but it might be because he's a TUF guy and that automatically puts my bias against him...................
Florian is sick, that will be a good fight. I don't get how you have no respect for him, not sure what else you can ask from him as he puts on a great show each time. Sanchez might do some damage at LW, but we'll have to see.

LW was so huge before, but now seems like a lot of #10-20 ranked fighters. Makes for some good matches, but not enough potential great title matches.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2005
6005 posts
186 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FerrisB wrote: What a joke, the UFC is still screwing the fighters.

" UFC would finish '08 with almost $300 million in pay-per-view revenue, making it the most lucrative year for any company in PPV history." NBC SPORTS

That's JUST PPV revenue. Then factor in advertising, merchandising and DVD sales etc and I bet they did close to 1/2 billion. BJ making 125k for a main event is a travesty.
im with u on that, that sucks... gsp made them millions
Banned
Sep 1, 2008
466 posts
Toronto
I royally hate the overrated Shogun and his "Mario Lopez" (AC Slater) face. Can't wait to see Chuck Lidell crack his face.

On another note:

GSP Vs Rich Franklin would be a good fight.
Jun 10, 2005
585 posts
GSP should charge Vaseline for publicity, it's like he's making their stuff look like god in a bottle. Apply one drop of this anywhere on your body and the world will be your slip n' slide!

Everybody he's beat is saying he was "greasy" now... magic stuff he's got there.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7476 upvotes
RFD
Ya and Vaseline helped GSP do this to BJ Penn?

[IMG]http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr77 ... penn-1.gif[/IMG]

BTW I agree with ya'll, they are ripping off their fighters and stuffing their own pockets with lots of money. The fighters should go on strike and threaten to jump ship unless their pays are higher. Just like the TTC.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
The fighters should form a players union just like the NFL/MLB/NHL/etc. I believe the main cards get a small cut of the PPV buys, but I agree they still underpaid.
radeonboy wrote: BTW I agree with ya'll, they are ripping off their fighters and stuffing their own pockets with lots of money. The fighters should go on strike and threaten to jump ship unless their pays are higher.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
radeonboy wrote: BTW I agree with ya'll, they are ripping off their fighters and stuffing their own pockets with lots of money. The fighters should go on strike and threaten to jump ship unless their pays are higher. Just like the TTC.
+1
Especially since the UFC is considering taking a cut of their sponsorship money

But just by seeing how popular the sport is getting (and therefore more money of course), wouldn't be surprised to see unions forming...I think the only question is when it will happen
He died for me, I live for him

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)