Page 262 of 930

Re: The Official UFC & MMA thread: UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2 - August 20th

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 12:01 am
by Red_Army
Mintmaster wrote:
What else was there to tell? Madsen was dominating, but you could tell that he was gassing a bit towards the end. Breathing well while holding a position is very important for endurance.
its just busy talk, i mean do you really need to be told to breathe? getting up from under a guy thats constantly pinning you down to rest and earn points is just as important as controlling your breathing
either way i dont know why he bothered telling him anything, he was also telling him to posture up and throw many times, that went completely ignored while ha laid on the guy and threw the odd body shot, and a few elbows

without the blood this fight would have been one of the most boring ever on the show

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 11:25 am
by actyper
actyper wrote: I wish Stout vs Nover was on the main card instead of Quarry vs Creuder
pwnd

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 5:15 pm
by petey123
fedor vs rogers nov 7 save the date boys

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 9:26 pm
by pysik

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 9:40 pm
by FerrisB
pysik wrote: heres a picture of the cut brutal
[/IMG]
I was eating a raspberry muffin when I clicked on this thread! *gag*

That is horrible!

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 11:15 pm
by Red_Army
petey123 wrote: fedor vs rogers nov 7 save the date boys
i hope Rogers ko's him in the first

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 11:45 pm
by gwu
Red_Army wrote: i hope Rogers ko's him in the first

Hypothetically speaking, let me throw it out there.
Let's say, Rodgers wins via a early 1st round flurry like he did against Arlovski.

What would your first reaction be?
Would it change what you think about Fedor? or he just got caught?
Would it change what you thought about Rodgers? or he just got a lucky punch?
Would this be as shocking as Serra over GSP?

I know the chance of him winning is less than 10%, but anyone with that big KO power (I'm assuming he does, I personally haven't seen many of his fights. His punches on Arlovski were nice, but Arlovski is also the equivalent of Glass Joe from Punch Out) has a 'punchers chance'.

I figured I'd start some fun conversations between us regulars on this thread hahaha!

Posted: Sep 17th, 2009 11:57 pm
by Red_Army
gwu wrote: Hypothetically speaking, let me throw it out there.
Let's say, Rodgers wins via a early 1st round flurry like he did against Arlovski.

I know the chance of him winning is less than 10%, but anyone with that big KO power (I'm assuming he does, I personally haven't seen many of his fights. His punches on Arlovski were nice, but Arlovski is also the equivalent of Glass Joe from Punch Out) has a 'punchers chance'.

I figured I'd start some fun conversations between us regulars on this thread hahaha!
i dont like fedor so it would be fun for me to see him get ko'd lol
my reaction would be surprised mixed with joy

although i dont think rogers is on fedors level, he is a legitimate top 10 heavyweight

but no matter what, if Fedor looses for whatever reason, people are going to say it was lucky

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 12:02 am
by Viper98
gwu wrote: Hypothetically speaking, let me throw it out there.

Rogers winning wouldn't change my feelings on anything unless he dominates Fedor

if he catches him then Fedor just got caught. **** happens.

Rogers is imo a legit top 10 HW in the world right now and if he beats Fedor the only thing I'll change with my opinions of him is he'd move up to top 5

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 12:41 am
by Mintmaster
gwu wrote: I know the chance of him winning is less than 10%, but anyone with that big KO power (I'm assuming he does, I personally haven't seen many of his fights. His punches on Arlovski were nice, but Arlovski is also the equivalent of Glass Joe from Punch Out) has a 'punchers chance'.
I'd put it at 25% at least, to be honest. That's why I think +400 is good value on Rogers. When you look at size combined with punching speed, I think Rogers is the most dangerous fighter Fedor has ever faced.

I think the possibility of Rogers winning is why Strikeforce/M1 gave him the first crack at Fedor. If Fedor loses, Rogers can go against Overeem for the title, and then when Fedor gets by Werdum, he can have his rematch against Rogers for the title on Strikeforce's first big PPV (assuming Strikeforce has a long enough contract with Rogers to prevent him from going to the UFC).

Coker is trying to build to Fedor title shot, but if Fedor lost in his second Strikeforce fight, then it can't happen. You gotta plan for everything, because in MMA nothing is certain.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 5:56 am
by tdu
Red_Army wrote:
although i dont think rogers is on fedors level, he is a legitimate top 10 heavyweight
Not trying to be rude, just posing a question. Why is he a legitimate top 10 heavyweight? Arlovski is his only big win, and he was an opponent tailor made to suit Roger's strengths. And while I am an Arlovski fan, he appears to have 'lost it' lately. Especially if anyone even touches his jaw.

From watching that fight and a couple of others he definitely has some talent and some insane power and speed. But that is all he has shown. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to watching him fight more. But I haven't seen enough to say he is top 10, or really form any opinion of him. What will happen if he ends up on the ground for example? It's just another case of a ton of buzz around a fighter who hasn't really proven much yet. But that's exactly what Strikeforce needs to do with the match. They only have a few other good matches for Fedor beyond this fight. And they need to bank on having some other 'stars' beyond Fedor to stay strong.

I am a Fedor fan, but he will lose at some point. He is just as likely to lose to a one dimensional fighter with power and speed as he is to a well rounded fighter. That is MMA. This match will show how Roger's can deal with a undisputed top 5 fighter though (#1 in most people's books), and it will be cool to watch. If he beats him using his strengths that is great. But I question how long he could keep winning with that game? EG if he does have no ground game at all, what would be do against a fighter like Brock who is almost guaranteed to take him down? I think Fedor or Nog would be able to deal with that. Would Rogers? I know that's a cross promotional example, but it's just for the sake of conversation.

The other important point that I know the Fedor hater's don't like is I don't think Rogers has anything the Fedor hasn't faced before. A lot of people haven't watched all 30 of Fedor's fights and seen what he has faced before. He beat some incredible fighters that were in their absolute prime at the time. One example, Cro Cop in his prime was an insanely good striker (legs AND hands). One of the best ever, and as intimidating in that regard (or more) than Rogers.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 9:43 am
by Red_Army
the same things could be said about shane carwin, and cain velasquez
right now all 3 of these guys are undefeated in their careers, have loads of talent, and have all fought only one ranked fighter each
its interesting to see who will step up from the top 10 and jump to the top 5 with their next fight
tdu wrote: Not trying to be rude, just posing a question. Why is he a legitimate top 10 heavyweight? Arlovski is his only big win, and he was an opponent tailor made to suit Roger's strengths. And while I am an Arlovski fan, he appears to have 'lost it' lately. Especially if anyone even touches his jaw.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 1:59 pm
by Mintmaster
Red_Army wrote: the same things could be said about shane carwin, and cain velasquez
And Junior Dos Santos, who could be the most dangerous of the bunch. I agree that Rogers is right in the mix with these guys. He's a bit one dimensional, but nobody has come close to attacking any other part of his game so it's simply unknown, and it's the same with Carwin.

On a similar topic, I have a feeling that Cigano-Crocop is going to look exactly like Rogers-Arlovski. I hope people don't write Crocop off for this, because I'm with Nog in believing dos Santos is a future champ.
tdu wrote: Arlovski is his only big win, and he was an opponent tailor made to suit Roger's strengths. And while I am an Arlovski fan, he appears to have 'lost it' lately. Especially if anyone even touches his jaw.
If he was tailor made, then why was Rogers +300 at the bookies? It was definately an unexpected win.
One example, Cro Cop in his prime was an insanely good striker (legs AND hands). One of the best ever, and as intimidating in that regard (or more) than Rogers.
I think Rogers is more dangerous than even Crocop in his prime because of his reach/size.

If Fedor can avoid those hands he'll be fine, but the same was true about Arlovski, and despite working with Roach he didn't avoid them at all. My theory is that his brutal KO to Fedor allowed fear to creep into his mind, causing him to backpedal instead of duck, but who knows. In any case, that 'if' is the issue, not the quality of Rogers' overall MMA game.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 2:02 pm
by Mintmaster
Red_Army wrote: i dont like fedor so it would be fun for me to see him get ko'd lol
How can you call yourself an MMA fan if you don't like Fedor?

Even more pertinent to you is that if Fedor loses then we're pretty much guaranteed not to see Brock-Fedor in the future. Once Fedor loses, Dana White loses almost all interest.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 4:02 pm
by tdu
Red_Army wrote: the same things could be said about shane carwin, and cain velasquez
right now all 3 of these guys are undefeated in their careers, have loads of talent, and have all fought only one ranked fighter each
its interesting to see who will step up from the top 10 and jump to the top 5 with their next fight
Ya, the same things have been said in this thread in fact. Rogers hasn't been talked about much in the thread though.

I said in an earlier post, there are very few 'gatekeepers' left. A lot of new fighters, and a lot of fighters winding down their careers.
If he was tailor made, then why was Rogers +300 at the bookies? It was definately an unexpected win.
I didn't think it was unexpected at all actually. Arlovski is one of my favourite fighters, but now as soon as I hear he is facing a powerful striker, I know there's a very good chance he could be in trouble. A lot of other people were thinking/saying the exact same thing. It's been that way since his loss to Silvia. And he was coming off an absolute tooling by Fedor, and you can see what that has done to a lot of other fighters in the past (the fear factor you mention). I had read a bit about Rogers as well, and was pretty sure Arlovski was going to be in big trouble.
He's a bit one dimensional, but nobody has come close to attacking any other part of his game so it's simply unknown, and it's the same with Carwin.
Until someone does attack another part of his game, I reserve judgement. It's impossible to judge Rogers based on what we have seen so far in my opinion. As you said, same with Carwin. At least with Carwin, we know he has some wrestling credentials, though we haven't seen them yet.
On a similar topic, I have a feeling that Cigano-Crocop is going to look exactly like Rogers-Arlovski. I hope people don't write Crocop off for this, because I'm with Nog in believing dos Santos is a future champ.
I am always rooting for Cro Cop, just like I am always rooting for Arlovski. I don't have high hopes for him in this fight though. At least not if he performs like he has in his last few fights.

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 7:10 pm
by Red_Army
Mintmaster wrote: How can you call yourself an MMA fan if you don't like Fedor?

Even more pertinent to you is that if Fedor loses then we're pretty much guaranteed not to see Brock-Fedor in the future. Once Fedor loses, Dana White loses almost all interest.
fedor is like the new england partriots to me
I cant bring myself to like them because of how majority of their fans act like their **** dont stink
i just end up wanting to see them fail just to see their fans cry lol

Posted: Sep 18th, 2009 9:27 pm
by phomp
Red_Army wrote: fedor is like the new england partriots to me
I cant bring myself to like them because of how majority of their fans act like their **** dont stink
i just end up wanting to see them fail just to see their fans cry lol
The reason I like Fedor is because in his "prime-time" he faught all the best guys and always found a way to win...no matter what the challenge or the size of the challenge. Not only that, but he was respectful and humble even though at the time he was by far the greatest. I hope he hands Rogers his first loss but we will see.

Posted: Sep 19th, 2009 12:50 am
by Viper98
* Vitor Belfort
* Junior dos Santos
* Martin Kampmann
* Josh Koscheck
* Tyson Griffin

Posted: Sep 19th, 2009 7:13 am
by tdu
phomp wrote: The reason I like Fedor is because in his "prime-time" he faught all the best guys and always found a way to win...no matter what the challenge or the size of the challenge. Not only that, but he was respectful and humble even though at the time he was by far the greatest. I hope he hands Rogers his first loss but we will see.
A lot of people's only knowledge of Fedor is from hearing one side or another during the UFC negotiation fiasco. Or they don't know much beyond his Affliction fights. A lot of "UFC only" fans based any opinion on him solely on the negative hype the UFC was putting out about him.

It's ok not to like a fighter, but it's tough for me to imagine how people can't respect him if they really know his history. And for that matter know the history of the opponents he was fighting in Pride, most of who in their peak at the time. Anyone who wants an MMA treat should look up a couple of the collections of his fights you can download. There is even one with all 31 fights.

The guy not only beat MMA champions, but beat K-1 champions, Sambo champions etc. He literally has faced pretty much everything throughout his career. That doesn't mean Rogers couldn't beat him, again, he just deserves some respect.

Posted: Sep 19th, 2009 7:26 am
by Red_Army
i do respect him, and what hes done in mma, the guys a beast
i just cant bring myself to like him :)
tdu wrote: A lot of people's only knowledge of Fedor is from hearing one side or another during the UFC negotiation fiasco. Or they don't know much beyond his Affliction fights. A lot of "UFC only" fans based any opinion on him solely on the negative hype the UFC was putting out about him.

It's ok not to like a fighter, but it's tough for me to imagine how people can't respect him if they really know his history. And for that matter know the history of the opponents he was fighting in Pride, most of who in their peak at the time. Anyone who wants an MMA treat should look up a couple of the collections of his fights you can download. There is even one with all 31 fights.

The guy not only beat MMA champions, but beat K-1 champions, Sambo champions etc. He literally has faced pretty much everything throughout his career. That doesn't mean Rogers couldn't beat him, again, he just deserves some respect.